NetApp Device

Hello All 

I have been looking to replace my old Synology NAS for a while and a friend has advised I take a look at NetApp units for a replacement. I have a Dell server which I would buy I assume an LSI Raid card for and connect the NetApp unit to the Dell server which will then be able to see the drives once configured. 

My issue is I am new to NetApp and from what I can tell they have 2 different systems as in the main controller unit, and an expansion shelf. 

What I don't want to do is buy an expansion shelf and then not be able to use it as I won't have a controller. 

I am based out of the UK so am looking to eBay UK to source my parts. I have found this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NetApp-DS2246-Disk-Array-SAS-24BAYx2-5-2xIOM6-Controllers-2xPSU-Caddies/352466659249

Now in the listing, its says it has 2 controllers, but what isn't clear is that if this an expansion shelf, or the main unit? 

The ideal system for my needs would be a unit that can take SATA drives 3.5 inch but I cant find that many of these at a good price. 

Anyway any help anyone can offer would be great. 

Thank you 

6 minutes ago, IKWeb said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NetApp-DS2246-Disk-Array-SAS-24BAYx2-5-2xIOM6-Controllers-2xPSU-Caddies/352466659249

Now in the listing, its says it has 2 controllers, but what isn't clear is that if this an expansion shelf, or the main unit? 

That is just the disk shelf, it has 2 SAS controllers but not Netapp array controllers. Netapp controllers have names like FAS[numbers] or E[numbers] etc.

Also Netapp use their own disk firmware, you aren't just going to be able to use any old disks from what I'm aware of. You can use the shelves with anything, like any other JBOD unit, but if you want to use all Netapp then it must be ALL Netapp.

8 minutes ago, IKWeb said:

I have a Dell server which I would buy I assume an LSI Raid card for and connect the NetApp unit to the Dell server which will then be able to see the drives once configured.

If using a Netapp FAS then you'd connect to it over ethernet use SMB, NFS or iSCSI. If using Netapp E-Series then you'd connect to it using either a SAS or FC HBA. RAID card is only used if you are going to use just the shelves (JBOD) and connect directly to a server, you can also use an HBA and FreeNAS/ZFS instead of a RAID card.

There's tow things here, your either going to be using a Netapp Storage Array (FAS/E-Series) or Direct Attached Storage to a server (JBOD). Very different things.

15 minutes ago, IKWeb said:

The ideal system for my needs would be a unit that can take SATA drives 3.5 inch but I cant find that many of these at a good price. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-System-Storage-EXP2512-1747HC1-1747-12X-69Y2914/292775737907?hash=item442acb3a33:g:OecAAOSwk35bx0dN

You will need to buy IBM disk caddies to mount your disks in to and insert in to it, the seller likely has them so ask them.