Gigabyte 1660 OC Fan noise issue

Go to solution Solved by SimplyChunk,
1 hour ago, TheNamesLigma said:

I am using the performance setting. And i have 5 fans including cpu fans in may case.

Also, How can i set a custom fan curve, the gigbyte aorus software also doesnt open for some reason.

You'll need MSi Afterburner.  (Don't worry it works on all graphics cards)  Download it from Guru3D and install it.

Once installed and running, you'll need to do the following:

Open the settings menu underneath the fan speed section

Settings button.png

Then choose your startup options

Startup.png

press the fan tab up the top

Fan.png

Enable User defined fan control and ensure the curve is at default.  (you can play with this once you get to use afterburner more

Fan Curve.png

Click OK at the bottom and ensure afterburner now looks like this

All done.png

Once it does click Minimise to finish NOT close

Minimise to finish.png

Hello all!

This graphics card has a weird ran reving issue. The fan for the most of the time is off, due to the zero rpm mode, however, I think is is caught right on the cusp. And is reving, than stopping revving and revving than stopping revving. And its rather loud. Imagine, a sports car reving when its not moving to show off, that sort of noise. And when i put it under some sort of load it stops. The idle is around 50-54 celcius. Running amd fx8350 oced, 16gb ram, and corsair mx psu.

Thanks.

use custom fan curve, maybe replace thermal paste

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I'd second the custom fan curve. (I wouldn't go butchering your brand new card for new thermal paste just yet though) 50-54 at idle is quite high.  What power settings are you using in nvidia control panel?  Optimal Power or Prefer Max Performance?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

16 hours ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

I'd second the custom fan curve. (I wouldn't go butchering your brand new card for new thermal paste just yet though) 50-54 at idle is quite high.  What power settings are you using in nvidia control panel?  Optimal Power or Prefer Max Performance?

I am using the performance setting. And i have 5 fans including cpu fans in may case.

Also, How can i set a custom fan curve, the gigbyte aorus software also doesnt open for some reason.

1 hour ago, TheNamesLigma said:

You'll need MSi Afterburner.  (Don't worry it works on all graphics cards)  Download it from Guru3D and install it.

Settings button.png

Startup.png

Fan.png

Enable User defined fan control and ensure the curve is at default.  (you can play with this once you get to use afterburner more

Fan Curve.png

All done.png

Minimise to finish.png

Edited by YouSirAreADudeSir
Formatting

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 hour ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Settings button.png

Startup.png

Fan.png

Fan Curve.png

All done.png

Minimise to finish.png

BRUH. You are the knight of the tech community. But, I had to get a beta version of MSI, and then your steps worked like a treat. Thanks a interstellar alot man.