What headphones should I get?

Ooonga

I've recently reconsidered my stupidity in buying a gaming headset and learned the benefits of audiophile headphones in gaming I have narrowed my search down to 3 candidates ( Beyerdynamic Dt 990 pro , Hifiman HE-4xx, Sennheiser HD 6xx) can anyone help in my decision?

these are all very different and all require amp dacs to drive especially dt 990 unless you grab the 32 ohm and the hd 6xx which is amost essential to get the most out of them. 

dt 990 is great for gaming I use them for gaming myself nice wide open sound stage good imaging and all that jazz but if you intend to listen to them for music they are piercing and require eqing to get good.but for gaming they lean a bit closer as casual cans because they have emphasized bass which generally for gaming you don't really wanna have as explosions and gun shots while fun to listen to will make foot steps a bit harder to hear I generally dont have this problem but many people especially the hyper competitive ones do. consider the dt 880's instead they lean towards a more balanced sound so less bass and less treble.  6xx I find too closed and narrow to be that good for gaming and require a good amp to get it's full potential. instead consider getting hd 58x wider soundsatge, good imaging, dont require an amp , more bass is cheaper and about the same fidelity as the 6xx. HAven't really heard the 4xx for an extensive amount of time so I don't have any strong opinions on it.

out of the original  3 for strictly gaming I would go for dt 990. the dt 770 is also an excelent choice they are closed backs but still maintain a wide sound stage and is basically a dt 990 but nicer. while the 990 emphasizes mid bass the 770 emphasizes sub bass, not as piercing and generally a more enjoyable pair of cans to listen to.  

I forgot to add if you want really competitive cans consider audio technica air series for seemingly aorund your budget ath 700x or 900x are great choices. another great choice is akg k712.