Laptop I5-4200M CPU Upgrade

15 hours ago, X_X said:

Like I said, that's userbench for you. ;)

I don't have a ST CBR15 score to hand but have an MT one of 896 cb. Considering MP ratio will usually be under 5 for same clocks then at least 180cb for ST, probably more.

We can take SuperPi from HWBOT, a well known single thread bench and compare how many seconds each takes to complete.

Size	8265U	4700MQ
1M     	9.636   7.846    	4700mq 23% Faster
32M    	572.638 433.774    	4700mq 32% Faster

For multi threaded we can use the well known wPrime bench with sizes of 32M and 1024M and again compare how many seconds each takes to complete.

Size	8265U		4700MQ		
32M    	6.064    	5.131    	4700mq 18% Faster
1024M  	271.675    	163.316    	4700mq 66% Faster

66% with 1024M! Does the performance of the 8265U drop off that much on benches that last a fair bit more than 30 seconds? Maybe someone can double check.

Now if you want to run efficiently with crippled performance then the 8265U would win of course. For some though it's about maximum performance and you cannot get that being efficient unfortunately.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-4700MQ-Notebook-Processor.92959.0.html

huh, looks like the HWBOT superPi results are off.

If you compare those numbers, they are right in line with the 8265U.

Besides, the 8265U has a higher singlethread max turbo, and a higher all-core (i think)

Notebookcheck is good for someone looking for a laptop and what to expect out of the box while HWBOT is more about maximum achievable performance.

Intel gifted their Haswell mobile quads and their top Haswell mobile dual core with the ability not to only run a limited bin overclock but also the ability to fully unlock ratio's so they can run as high as power, cooling and stability permits and a Haswell at it's real limit draws a lot of power.

Example

1.png.e686a3377f2c2ec73bce1451f2076125.png

AWOL

wow, this topic turned out to be very informative!

I will end up buying a I7-4800MQ (~120$) if I dont find an I7 4900MQ (~150$) on the same price.

Also planing on buying MX-4 and some pads to replace the old stuff and I might do a post or maybe a video with some benchmarks on before, after re-paste and after CPU swap (It's gonna take a few months to publish it though lol)

Thank you all for your responses and feedback! ❤️

Hey man, you be you and I'll be me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2019 at 10:15 PM, Mister_G said:

Can it be profitable? I was thinking on upgrading to a more recent haswell I5 with the same tdp or maybe to a I7, but i'm not sure if the cooling would suffice...

Also, I plan on doing upgrades like ssd, battery and maybe ram because it is possible and also because I want to build a pc and not spend it on a new laptop.

Did you go through the upgrade? Did it work? I have a Toshiba Satellite :L50A with 4200M and thought of giving this a try (just for fun ;))...I've been using this laptop since january 2014 and so far hasn't run into any trouble. Upgraded the ram to 6GB from 4 and put in an SSD replacing the slow HDD and am getting better performance compared to newer i3 models. Maybe a CPU upgrade can pull this trough another year or two... :) ..Why not reduce e waste and save some money at the same time..