Corsair af120 12v power mb header is only 5v

JHurley7nrx
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
7 minutes ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Oh ok, I was thinking of getting this fan hub DEEPCOOL FH-10, its powerd by a sata 12v but wouldn't that technically mean on 1 fan would be powerd by the 12v. 

Those use single mobo header. Meaning that you have 6 fans all using same fan curve. SATA power means that it won't overload mobo headers, and that you can still use mobo headers control functions over all connected fans.

Hey guys so I recentally found my boxes for my af120s and they said the fans run at 12v but my mb headers are only 5v, isn't that bottlenecking my fans performance since they are only running at 5v rather than 12v.  I recentally looked at my mb manual becauses  I wanted to find out if my mb supported aura sync with leds strips. This is how I found about all of this. 

What mobo? AFAIK all mobo fan headers are 12V 1A unless otherwise stated. If header is only %V, it means that fan is running at 40% speed only.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

26 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What mobo? AFAIK all mobo fan headers are 12V 1A unless otherwise stated. If header is only %V, it means that fan is running at 40% speed only.

Here is a picture of the mb manual, mb is z170 pro gaming/aura

15526707347386190864410563120727.jpg

49 minutes ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Here is a picture of the mb manual, mb is z170 pro gaming/aura

No need for pic :D I google mobo manuals daily. The 5V in CHA_FANs is bit odd. I think it means that they don't have actual PWM going on, but you can "use" PWM fans in then, the header will then only provide 5V to those fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

No need for pic :D I google mobo manuals daily. The 5V in CHA_FANs is bit odd. I think it means that they don't have actual PWM going on, but you can "use" PWM fans in then, the header will then only provide 5V to those fans.

?ok,Oh dam really so doses that mean im drawing to much power from the header. 

5 minutes ago, JHurley7nrx said:

?ok,Oh dam really so doses that mean im drawing to much power from the header. 

Probably not...? Power drawn is indicated by amps. Total power usage in watts and currency header can supply in volts. Fan can't draw more volts than header is capable supplying. It could draw more amps, but AF120's only draw 0.13A each.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Probably not...? Power drawn is indicated by amps. Total power usage in watts and currency header can supply in volts. Fan can't draw more volts than header is capable supplying. It could draw more amps, but AF120's only draw 0.13A each.

Doses that mean that the fans are not running at there maximum performance.

1 minute ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Doses that mean that the fans are not running at there maximum performance.

If they are PWM fans, it mainly means you don't have full potential in use. I would recommend that you go into BIOS and turn headers to DC mode. That way you can still control them, but now they can run at speeds you want them to. With minor limitations.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If they are PWM fans, it mainly means you don't have full potential in use. I would recommend that you go into BIOS and turn headers to DC mode. That way you can still control them, but now they can run at speeds you want them to. With minor limitations.

I have them in dc mode anyway, I controll all my fans using ai suite 3. Cheers mate for the help.

11 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Would it be possible to make all 7 of fans to all run in 12v each and all be able to controll the speed of the fans.

2 minutes ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Would it be possible to make all 7 of fans to all run in 12v each and all be able to controll the speed of the fans.

Yes, but that requires external fan controller. You have 5 headers, meaning that 2 fans would need to share a header = no individual control. Something like NZXT Grid3 (supports PWM fans) would give 4-6 more headers. But as drawback those need to be controlled with CAM software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yes, but that requires external fan controller. You have 5 headers, meaning that 2 fans would need to share a header = no individual control. Something like NZXT Grid3 (supports PWM fans) would give 4-6 more headers. But as drawback those need to be controlled with CAM software.

Oh ok, I was thinking of getting this fan hub DEEPCOOL FH-10, its powerd by a sata 12v but wouldn't that technically mean on 1 fan would be powerd by the 12v. 

7 minutes ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Those use single mobo header. Meaning that you have 6 fans all using same fan curve. SATA power means that it won't overload mobo headers, and that you can still use mobo headers control functions over all connected fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

28 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Ah good thats perfect than, cheers mate thanks for the help