Advice for new Monitor

Hello friends,

I started to do research on a new monitor (I've had the same one for around 4.5 years now) and was overwhelmed by the sheer number of options. I was hoping I could give y'all some parameters and see what options you would recommend.

-I have a GTX 1060, no preference between gysnc or freesync so long as it works

-Preference for more than the 60hz I have now, around 120 maybe?

-around 28-32 inch diagonal

-around $300-400, more expensive options are ok but I'm not trying to destroy my wallet 

Any ideas?

I would go with either of these two:

• Samsung 27" CJG5: 1440p, VA panel, 300 nits brightness, and 144hz
  • Samsung 27" CHG70: 1440p, VA panel, 350nits brightness, 144hz, and quantum dots. 

I just like the way these monitors have nice picture quality and aren't overly gamery. You might as well go with 1440p at this price point that way the monitor has room to grow with you. Plus the 1060 is decent at 1440p gaming. 

16 minutes ago, SilentShadows said:

Hello friends,

I started to do research on a new monitor (I've had the same one for around 4.5 years now) and was overwhelmed by the sheer number of options. I was hoping I could give y'all some parameters and see what options you would recommend.

-I have a GTX 1060, no preference between gysnc or freesync so long as it works

-Preference for more than the 60hz I have now, around 120 maybe?

-around 28-32 inch diagonal

-around $300-400, more expensive options are ok but I'm not trying to destroy my wallet 

Any ideas?

Asus VG279Q is really good, 144hz 1080p 27" IPS, used it for about a month now. pretty sick display

3 minutes ago, Crunken said:

Asus VG279Q is really good, 144hz 1080p 27" IPS, used it for about a month now. pretty sick display

Is that compatible with a GTX card?

17 minutes ago, SilentShadows said:

Is that compatible with a GTX card?

Yeah, been playing with freesync since i got it

yes. CHG70 is a good choice. but would be quite hard for 1060 to push higher fps because it's 1440p monitor. 6GB of V-ram will be struggling with AAA game a bit at 1440p.

also keep in mind that this monitor doesn't have G-sync. so you can't use G-sync. and Free-sync is not supporting Nvidia card either. so your only option is V-sync.

btw CHG70 is a really good monitor. maybe you can upgrade your graphic card in future

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

5 hours ago, Untitled said:

yes. CHG70 is a good choice. but would be quite hard for 1060 to push higher fps because it's 1440p monitor. 6GB of V-ram will be struggling with AAA game a bit at 1440p.

also keep in mind that this monitor doesn't have G-sync. so you can't use G-sync. and Free-sync is not supporting Nvidia card either. so your only option is V-sync.

btw CHG70 is a really good monitor. maybe you can upgrade your graphic card in future

Just wanted to clarify that the 2nd thing you said here is false: 

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-all-nvidia-g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors

Just recently announced at the start of this year.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:25 PM, SilentShadows said:

Just wanted to clarify that the 2nd thing you said here is false: 

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-all-nvidia-g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors

Just recently announced at the start of this year.

no, they didn't unlock g-sync for Samsung Monitor. still use Freesync

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading