Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elementL

Microsoft Surface alternatives

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone, 

I'm on the hunt for a Windows Laptop/Tablet that I can use with a pen to take notes aswell as light CAD and Matlab workloads. Two of my friends use Surface Tablets (will update modell tomorrow) and they are pretty happy with it but I can't/don't want to pay >800€ to take notes. Do you have some alternative options arround 500€ or maybe a good source for refurbished device in Europe (Germany/Austria).

Any help would be appreciated.

there are a few cheaper lenovo yogas, like the yoga 300 (there are non touch models though) that can be folded into a laptop/tablet and you can get some styluses for them, but im not sure if it would have the same experience as a surface

im not sure if you can find it where you are but in aus there is a tablet called the kogan atlas that is like a budget version of a surface

5 minutes ago, elementL said:

or maybe a good source for refurbished device in Europe (Germany/Austria).

find some refurbished stuff on ebay

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

3 minutes ago, elementL said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm on the hunt for a Windows Laptop/Tablet that I can use with a pen to take notes aswell as light CAD and Matlab workloads. Two of my friends use Surface Tablets (will update modell tomorrow) and they are pretty happy with it but I can't/don't want to pay >800€ to take notes. Do you have some alternative options arround 500€ or maybe a good source for refurbished device in Europe (Germany/Austria).

Any help would be appreciated.

The Surface Go might be a good option for you. It's significantly cheaper and you're able to load your own OS on there. It comes with Windows 10 S but can be upgraded to normal Windows 10. It would still be pretty decent at light CAD work.

Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

there are a few cheaper lenovo yogas, like the yoga 300 (there are non touch models though) that can be folded into a laptop/tablet and you can get some styluses for them, but im not sure if it would have the same experience as a surface

I just looked into some of them and they seem promissing. What do you mean with no touch model but pen support? So i can only use "touch with the pen"?

@Netivity:

6 minutes ago, Netivity said:

The Surface Go might be a good option for you. It's significantly cheaper and you're able to load your own OS on there. It comes with Windows 10 S but can be upgraded to normal Windows 10. It would still be pretty decent at light CAD work.

Yea but it is still quite expensive. As far as i know the 64gb version is garbage because of the super slow storage and type cover + pen are ~100€ each. Thats a total of 700€ again :(

8 minutes ago, elementL said:

I just looked into some of them and they seem promissing. What do you mean with no touch model but pen support? So i can only use "touch with the pen"?

@Netivity:

Yea but it is still quite expensive. As far as i know the 64gb version is garbage because of the super slow storage and type cover + pen are ~100€ each. Thats a total of 700€ again :(

That's fair enough. I believe that if you are a student you get a certain percentage off though.

5 hours ago, elementL said:

arround 500€

even a decent regular laptop is hard to find with this budget

Any links of online stores?

Feel free to ask for recommendations if you're looking for a new lappy!

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050TI 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHZ DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) PM981 256GB+ST1000LM035 1TB

Check out my blog here

Check out my older laptop reviews here

ODMs: Clevo, Tongfang, Quanta

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)