Dust Filter Desk

Phobiarg

I am in the process of designing a new desk for my system. I know this isn't exactly a PC related topic but please bear with me. My goal is to build an anti-dust chamber in it for the tower. I know there are many many options out there for the micro screens but as we all know, these do not prevent dust as much as mitigate dust.

So enough preamble, I want to know if computer fans, more specifically 140mm or 200mm fans would have the static pressure to be able to pull adequate air through an HVAC filter? My thought is I can make a shell for the tower to sit in, have a frame to slide a 12x24x2 hvac filter in on the front then put computer fans on the back of the shell. The idea is to pull air through the hvac filter, allow the computer to intake and exhaust the air as normal then have the fans dispel the heat through back.

I know that HVAC filters come in many flavors and I have done research on them, but they are all advertised with 120v blowers in mind that have much more pressure and air flow than a computer fan. I'm sure I am not the first person to think about this, I just want to know if it's a bad idea.

Well, that depends a lot on the type of filter.

a MERV 8 filter? Yeah, probably a non-issue. MERV 11 or 13? I cannot guarantee the flow will be high enough.

Edit, since you're putting the fans in a PULL config, and you will have multiple, I think you will be just fine.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO