best setup for 2 OS at the same time

bnbc
I am interested in running 2 operating systems (windows and linux) on the same computer (with a program called synergy), but the idea is to have a setup efficient enough to play in Windows while on the other monitor I have Linux running other things. What I had thought is to have linux using my integrated graphics card, while running windows as VM using my dedicated GPU (through a passthrough). But I'm also interested in having both operating systems with separate hard drives with passthrough so they don't get saturated.

So I'm asking for help to look for different ideas trying to figure out what would be the cheapest setup, the most efficient one or the easiest way to materialize this project.

Dude what is that formatting. Dear god.

But yes, if you want them running at the same time, have one in VM (sort of like 8 gamers 1 CPU but it's only 2 "gamers").

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Synergy relies on network protocols, so even in a local machine there is a bit of overhead and delay, the best setup would be virtualizing the entire mouse, but obviously you need that on Linux too because in this way you couldn't exit the vm either if you are using lookinglass or the screen output

There is another method like Spice, but also in there it uses network protocol. 

Looking glass has another mouse sharing capabilities but I don't know if that improved from the past.

Now imo the best method is passing the mouse from evdev, how would that work?

Basically the same as virtualizing the mouse to the vm, but with an hotkey combination which detaches it from the VM.

This is possible by two methods

1)VirtIO mouse emulation + EVDEV tweaks https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Passing_keyboard/mouse_via_Evdev
2)Using scripts triggered by keyboard control (this is what I tested, but requires more configuration) ---> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF#Swap_peripherals_to_and_from_the_Host

LTT made a video about this exact thing, the title is something like "Gaming on Linux"

🙂