All USB 3.0 not Working correctly on Asus Maximus Formula VI

Hey i have some problems with my usb 3.0 port, the problem is that when i try to use the ports with my II Freecom 1TB drive (fyi it does not need any external power only by usb) it works fine the first seconds i get around 140 MB/s and then the transfer window just pauses and my whole computer comes to a stop where it freezes. I tried the 2.0 ports and they were working as they should... i have the latest drivers for almost everything :c 

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

Have you tried reinstalling the USB 3 drivers?

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Not yet I was going to try now to plug the drive in into the Intel based 3.0 instead of the asmedia. if not this is working i'll try to reinstall.

EDIT: No luck... same there. But even if i reinstall the intel one still feels like it won't do much. and the Asmedia drivers are based on firmware updates so i can't really re-install it now can I?
EDIT2: Reinstalled cleanly even reflashed  the FW still same stuff. guess i just have to wait for new updates from Asus.. :c

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact same problem.  The four ports worked at first, now they don't, I have been unable to fix it either.  Hope they fix this so I don't have to RMA the board.

I have this exact same problem.  The four ports worked at first, now they don't, I have been unable to fix it either.  Hope they fix this so I don't have to RMA the board.

I think Asus have a problem related to USB 3.0 ports on their latest M/B. I too been having similar issue with the USB ports. There are tons of posts with related problems on different forums, so you are not alone :)

My issue is when booting, sometimes the computer won't boot unless all usb connections are unplugged. Then it might be stabil for some time until it happens again. It hsppens all the time whenever the PSU is turned off as well...

Both drivers and UEFI updated dosen't seem to resolve any of the issues as far as i know. All though is seems like this happens on the z87 chip boards....

Intel i7 4770k @ 4,8 Ghz (H100i) Asus Z87-Deluxe, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9, HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5, Corsair 800D, CorsairForce Series 3, 120GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Noctua case fans (140mm & 120mm), Logitech G19 G700

well they better shape up since i can't use my usb 3 ports only mouse and keyboard works there... and i want my speed boost for transferring :C

well they better shape up since i can't use my usb 3 ports only mouse and keyboard works there... and i want my speed boost for transferring :C

I coulden't agree more!

I have sendt Asus a tech message regarding the issue. What they awnser remains to bee seen....

Intel i7 4770k @ 4,8 Ghz (H100i) Asus Z87-Deluxe, Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9, HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5, Corsair 800D, CorsairForce Series 3, 120GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Noctua case fans (140mm & 120mm), Logitech G19 G700

Usb 3.0 in general has issues it a lot of issues depending on the gen of each device. Id ask asus. Also do you have 2 different usb 3.0 controllers or just the integrated intel? I have had issues with especially slightly older asmedia chips regularly.

I think Asus have a problem related to USB 3.0 ports on their latest M/B. I too been having similar issue with the USB ports. There are tons of posts with related problems on different forums, so you are not alone :)

My issue is when booting, sometimes the computer won't boot unless all usb connections are unplugged. Then it might be stabil for some time until it happens again. It hsppens all the time whenever the PSU is turned off as well...

Both drivers and UEFI updated dosen't seem to resolve any of the issues as far as i know. All though is seems like this happens on the z87 chip boards....

I would say a lot of their gamer boards have issues with USB 3.0 controllers. I have a Maximus IV and I've had issues with the USB 3.0 for a long time. I just haven't had a chance to RMA it.

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

LSI 9211-8i SAS in IT Mode

Usb 3.0 in general has issues it a lot of issues depending on the gen of each device. Id ask asus. Also do you have 2 different usb 3.0 controllers or just the integrated intel? I have had issues with especially slightly older asmedia chips regularly.

well i have 2 intel ports and the rest Asmedia ( i tried both and they have same problem)

I would say a lot of their gamer boards have issues with USB 3.0 controllers. I have a Maximus IV and I've had issues with the USB 3.0 for a long time. I just haven't had a chance to RMA it.

It's such a pain to RMA u need to fill in a lot of info xD

I also have Intel and Asmedia ports on my motherboard, and has seen several tutorials on how problem "apparently" can be solved..

Some have been lucky uninstall Asmedia driver and use only Intel ports, but then suddenly half the USB ports are useless.. Gave it a try and it did not work for me by the way :-)

No, RMA is no fun, especially not if it a lot of time spent on shipping. I will await a response from Asus and see what they say, alternatively contact the store I bought it io get it refunded, if it is not solved in other ways.

well i have 2 intel ports and the rest Asmedia ( i tried both and they have same problem)

Not just that, it's the fact that they pretty much want me to be computer-less for over 10 business days to send me another or fix it. I don't have another machine I can rely on in that meantime.

Alternatively, I'd have to pay a 400 dollar deposit for them to send me one before I ship out my bad one.

I should figure out what I will do at some point soon...

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

LSI 9211-8i SAS in IT Mode

Its not really their gaming boards it any of the after market chips used. Also many times they will use the older chip just to save money which is why youll run into some of these issues, certain chips on both ends have things that the other end may not. One way to solve this I found was to get a driver for the same chip that doesnt support any of it so it cant even try to use it.

Really, now that is something that ive never experienced before usually the asmedia ones are the ones that have issues and the intel or amd ones are fine. it might be good to know which as media ones you have which you should be able to find in the motherboards manual. What is your OS? the reason i ask is yo umay have to install the intel drivers depending on that. Also the asmedia chips in win8 use the built in win8 drivers unless you use usb 3.0 boost or install a win8 certified driver which could be the cause of the issues.

I also have Intel and Asmedia ports on my motherboard, and has seen several tutorials on how problem "apparently" can be solved..

Some have been lucky uninstall Asmedia driver and use only Intel ports, but then suddenly half the USB ports are useless.. Gave it a try and it did not work for me by the way :-)

No, RMA is no fun, especially not if it a lot of time spent on shipping. I will await a response from Asus and see what they say, alternatively contact the store I bought it io get it refunded, if it is not solved in other ways.

well yea at least 4 of the ports are going to be asmedia most likely

Not just that, it's the fact that they pretty much want me to be computer-less for over 10 business days to send me another or fix it. I don't have another machine I can rely on in that meantime.

Alternatively, I'd have to pay a 400 dollar deposit for them to send me one before I ship out my bad one.

I should figure out what I will do at some point soon...

yes it usually take a week or two for most RMAs, this is how it has always been. Im actually happy that they could keep it at that since I started getting into this stuff because the people doing it now has increase by multitudes.

No deposite, they just need to put a hold on a credit card, which as soon as they receive the board back is removed. i think they charge like $10 otherwise for the Advance RMA + whichever shipping option you choose and yes there is a free option. i have recently done two advanced RMAs through ASUS.

Really, now that is something that ive never experienced before usually the asmedia ones are the ones that have issues and the intel or amd ones are fine. it might be good to know which as media ones you have which you should be able to find in the motherboards manual. What is your OS? the reason i ask is yo umay have to install the intel drivers depending on that. Also the asmedia chips in win8 use the built in win8 drivers unless you use usb 3.0 boost or install a win8 certified driver which could be the cause of the issues.

Yeah i looked in the manual so i knew which one was which so i tried them out. Im using win7 Ultimate x64bit.

Yeah i looked in the manual so i knew which one was which so i tried them out. Im using win7 Ultimate x64bit.

Then you will need the Intel USB 3.0 drivers

Here this one should be the one for your board http://goo.gl/0V30CG . For the asmedia if you could find out which chip they are it would help. I would give these a try http://goo.gl/NT2KqH and if ASUS advertises it as having UAS http://goo.gl/jIoyQu . They are from the HighPoint RocketU 1144B and 1144C and are hosted on my server.

Please let me know if that solves your issues as it did for me on my Sabertooth X79 when I was having them.

Presumably latest BIOS 1203 - 2013.12.25 and the ASMedia USB drivers dated 2012.11.13 have been installed.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

• 1 month later...

Here this one should be the one for your board http://goo.gl/0V30CG . For the asmedia if you could find out which chip they are it would help. I would give these a try http://goo.gl/NT2KqH and if ASUS advertises it as having UAS http://goo.gl/jIoyQu . They are from the HighPoint RocketU 1144B and 1144C and are hosted on my server.

Please let me know if that solves your issues as it did for me on my Sabertooth X79 when I was having them.

Testing it now

Presumably latest BIOS 1203 - 2013.12.25 and the ASMedia USB drivers dated 2012.11.13 have been installed.

yep even newer, 

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA BIOS 1302
Improve system stability.
File Size 5,36 MBytesupdate 2014.01.10

But i only found 1 Fw updater and intels 3.0 driver do i need more than that?

Description ASMedia_U3_FW_update File Size 625,62 KBytesupdate 2013.11.13 Download from Global

Description Intel USB3.0 Controller Driver V2.5.0.19 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL) File Size 5,83 MBytesupdate 2013.06.03 Download from Global

x

Here this one should be the one for your board http://goo.gl/0V30CG . For the asmedia if you could find out which chip they are it would help. I would give these a try http://goo.gl/NT2KqH and if ASUS advertises it as having UAS http://goo.gl/jIoyQu . They are from the HighPoint RocketU 1144B and 1144C and are hosted on my server.

ok I've tested both now and intel usb 3.0 is working now i managed to transfer a 49GB iso file with no problem and constant 50-60mb/s transfer speed. But the sad thing is that i only have 2 intel ports and like 4-6 asmedia usb 3.0 ports and AsMedia isn't working... Where do i find the latest updates for the Asmedia?

x

ok I've tested both now and intel usb 3.0 is working now i managed to transfer a 49GB iso file with no problem and constant 50-60mb/s transfer speed. But the sad thing is that i only have 2 intel ports and like 4-6 asmedia usb 3.0 ports and AsMedia isn't working... Where do i find the latest updates for the Asmedia?

Not sure what you mean by only 2 Intel USB 3.0 ports. There are two on the rear i/o panel and a 2 port header on the motherboard for the front panel.

Have you tried other storage devices on the AS Media ports?

x

I just posted them those send two link are them

this for regular http://goo.gl/NT2KqH

and this if asus advertises UAS capable ones http://goo.gl/jIoyQu

I got the drivers from high point as they are the only ones I have found to have unmodified Asmedia drivers which give me no trouble.

Not sure what you mean by only 2 Intel USB 3.0 ports. There are two on the rear i/o panel and a 2 port header on the motherboard for the front panel.

Have you tried other storage devices on the AS Media ports?

I mean the 2 ports in the back. I haven't tried other drives since i highly don't think it's my drive that's the fault.

I just posted them those send two link are them

this for regular http://goo.gl/NT2KqH

and this if asus advertises UAS capable ones http://goo.gl/jIoyQu

I got the drivers from high point as they are the only ones I have found to have unmodified Asmedia drivers which give me no trouble.

ok i'll try to re-install one of them and then the other if the first fails.

I mean the 2 ports in the back. I haven't tried other drives since i highly don't think it's my drive that's the fault.

I would try the uas driver girst as its better pertaining you have hardware support which is likely since its a newer board.

I'm not suggesting the drive is bad. But there are reports of incompatibilities between some USB 3.0 ports and some external USB 3.0 drives. Can your drive take an external power source and have you tried it with external power?

• 1 month later...

I'm not suggesting the drive is bad. But there are reports of incompatibilities between some USB 3.0 ports and some external USB 3.0 drives. Can your drive take an external power source and have you tried it with external power?

no it's a 2.5 external drive it goes on usb power. but i tried my  usb 3.0 card reader too i got same prob there..

im going to do a thorough search with my sata usb 3.0 adapter and see if i can transfer correctly on all 3.0 ports