Family System rebuild *Warning Very High RES photo's*

warmon6

Even though I been around for a while, I haven't really migrated out side the F@H section until now. (been helping them out)

Anyways, Last month, I did rebuild of my family PC (on a budget) and I can probably say that I'm worse than Linus in terms of time to take to rebuild our system.

Original System.... went down in...... Oct. 2010..... Finally back up Feb. 2013. :p

Just a little under 2 1/2 years lol. Linus looks like he speeding along compared to me. roflol

Although the original system was being taken care of by my dad so I guess I'm not entirely at fault for the amount of time it took.

Original System spec:

built in early 2005

Storage: 160GB WD SE Caviar (Boot drive)

80GB SeagateBarracuda 7200.7 (Network storage)

500GB WD My Book USB 2.0 drive (Network Storage)

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz (478 socket)

HSF: Cooler: Stock HSF

MB: Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2

RAM: 2x Super Talent DDR1 266MHz 1GB

Case: Unknown. My dad got this before this system in 2003/4. Dont even know the maker of it.

GPU: AGP Geforce 6200

Optical drive: 2x Lite-On IDE dvd-burner.

PSU: think my dad had a 500w AGI PSU (he got it from a local shop that he trusted....) Think he bought that in 2003/4 as well.

Networking: Built-in Ethernet

Sadly, It was the PSU that died but hey, lasted for 5 to 7 years.. Pretty decent time for a brand that I never hear of, but it did take out the MB as well....

The lone pic that I have of this system from a few years ago. Minus the PSU..... that PSU shown my dad bought quickly after we knew the PSU failed.

*Pic was taken about a year after it died. Needed to get some pics of computer hardware for a school project*

dsc0095qy.jpg

Now about 1/2 the stuff listed above has been reused in this rebuild, On top of that, I have received a few parts from friends for free,and won an SSD though a contest.

Total Cost was about $175 to $200 on my part to get things running again (cooler, MB, ram, and GPU) although after I got this built, My dad decided to grab additional stuff that he would like to see on it... I dont know the total cost with the things he got.

Current System: (only listing the new parts)

CPU: Core i7 920 @ stock (CPU I got from a friend that upgraded his i7 to the 6 core version. 960 I do bevieve)

Cooler: XIGMATEK Gaia with stock 120mm fan

MB: EVGA X58 sli-3

Memory: 1x 2GB Gskill DDR3 1333Mhz Cas9 and 2x 2GB Crucial DDR3 1333MHz cas9. (crucial was provided by the same friend after I built this.)

PSU: Corsair TX 750W (older version)

GPU: Evga Geforce 210 (temp cheap card till I have enough money to get a better card.)

SSD: Samsung 830 128GB Desktop Kit (boot drive) ( Windows XP migrated to SSD)

Optical Drive: Asus USB blu-ray reader/DVD and CD burner.

Networking: Linksys AE2500 USB wifi adapter

Without further a-do, I give you the photos.

before the new parts were put in: *Open image in new tab to get the full size of the image*

dsc1078r.jpg

dsc1079s.jpg

dsc1080p.jpg

dsc1077be.jpg

With parts in: *System Is turned on in these. Dont be fooled by the still looking fans. They are spinning, just my dad camera good at catching moving objects and freezing them*

Light in the middle changes to different colors of Blue, Yellow, Red, and Green. Manage to catch it while displaying the blue light.

Also the dvd drive is just a place holder. Cover for that spot is missing so I just left that drive in to keep stuff out

dsc1081er.jpg

dsc1087c.jpg'

Had to mount the side panel fan on the outside as I forgot to measure the clearance with the HSF. Panel? Remember to check that. Fan? Nope. lol.

dsc1082n.jpg

dsc1083p.jpg

Not the neatest cable management (no room behind the MB tray) but I plan on upgrading the case when I have the money. I want a case that will reduce the amount of dust and has better ventilation (been eye-balling the Cooler Master HAF 912). So I'm not really going to get really picky on where all the wire are at.... for now.

At least nothing is overheating for now. (side panel fan while small, is still in a good spot to supply some fresh air just in front the CPU fan.)

coretempscru.png

well once I get a new Case and GPU (when ever that might be) I'll try to update this log.

I have a few P4's that are still running they are good, just like to get a bit warm is all so you gotta keep them clean.

Nice work.... just dont let it get dusty again... :P

I remember these towers was good to get a blast from the past

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Holy crap how did that pc even run with that much dust inside it, good job though, I struggle enough to keep on budget when I upgrade my pc, I don't know how the hell you did it with that (no offense with what I say next) scrapheap. Again though honestly great job, it looks like a total different pc with a few newer parts etc in it.

C

Intel

Holy crap how did that pc even run with that much dust inside it, good job though, I struggle enough to keep on budget when I upgrade my pc, I don't know how the hell you did it with that (no offense with what I say next) scrapheap. Again though honestly great job, it looks like a total different pc with a few newer parts etc in it.
I should of said that pic was like a year after it died. So it had a lot of time to collect dust... I'll fix that.

Although when that PC was operational, My dad and I was doing about a once a month cleanout. The cpu max temp that I can remember about 75C on load.

I have a few P4's that are still running they are good, just like to get a bit warm is all so you gotta keep them clean.

Well, I should of mention that It was about a year after the PC died that I took the photo. Need it for a school project. lol

Although if you remember them, Do you know who made this case by chance? Just curiosity as my dad doesn't remember (he's the one that bought it) and I wasn't interested in computers will 2007/08 time frame. So i wasn't paying attention when he got that.

Don't know what there called sorry, but I do know a company that makes them now call them galaxy.

http://www.ebuyer.com/136491-galaxy-black-mid-tower-case-with-blue-bubble-light-led-strip-cas-408

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Ah. Looks very similar. Thanks for the lead.

It's just one of those things that been bugging me for a while but no one knew until you that is (at least you knew something about it.)

Wow what a difference! I bet u must have sneezed a lot when you pulled it down, the dust before you started was immense lol. Looks great now well done!

Those cables...I can't stand those cables, please let me come over and clean them up.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Wow what a difference! I bet u must have sneezed a lot when you pulled it down, the dust before you started was immense lol. Looks great now well done!
Except for the dust in the PSU, mostly everything was caked on due to the humidity of the previous location I was living at and the amount of time it had to accumulate.

That was the southern coast of South Carolina. Was living on a housing base only a few miles away from the US Marine Corps, Parris Island. Which in my book is a very hot and humid place (at least for this snow loving person).....

Had to use paper towel and some electronic safe cleaner to remove most of that dust.

Those cables...I can't stand those cables, please let me come over and clean them up.
Well, maybe once I got a new chassis and if it's still not up to your par. :p

Like said, I know I can do more than what I've done, but there isn't room behind the MB tray, (most of the cables are too thick to be put back there.... and because I will be getting a new case in the near future ("real" cable management options, dust filters, better ventilation), I didn't want to zip-tie everything down knowing that fact.

I guess I could do something with those Sata and power cables leading up to the drives.... Maybe flip the drives around so that the cable are routed to the other side. Giving a "cleaner" appearance around the MB... Although it's difficult to get my hand back there so that might not go so well (having large hands doesn't help the matter).

IDK.. That's the problem with old cheap cases. Especially with this one. Made for looks on the outside (about the only thing it does decently to this day) and does diddly squat for ventilation and cable routing.

Looks good mate! :) Those old cases didn't really have any cable management like today's cases, i think you've done well considering :)

Looks good mate! :) Those old cases didn't really have any cable management like today's cases, i think you've done well considering :)
Thanks!