AMD or Nvidia? Why not both?!

Ok, first, my build:

Mobo: GA-Z77X-UD3H

CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.5ghz with H100i in push

GPU: Sapphire 7970

PSU: Corsair AX750

Sound card: Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe

Right then, what happened. I wanted to build another pc just for folding, nothing special, just for GPU folding. And I kinda didn't have room for another pc, working from home means I have an office too, but it isn't something big. So I thought, I'll just get another 7970, not gonna xfire it and just leave it folding 24/7 while I work/play games on the first one. But, my friend was able to get me a good deal on a EVGA 780 SC ACX so I thought I'll get the 780 and just fold on that. And I did that and my god is that card silent. Night and day compared to my 7970. I had to flash my bios before it would work, but since I did that, everything was peachy. The only side-effect is that upon startup, the mobo screen (the one where it tells you what to press to get into bios) lasts for about 15sec.

But anyway, last night at 3am I thought "wait, why am I not folding on that 7970 also?". I knew some people got the amd+nvidia thing to work and I got nothing to lose. Did some research on the psu, some people said it's fine, some said it's too low so I kinda took a risk there. Good thing is that it's a Corsair psu so it was at least a quality product. I put the 7970 in and when I started up, nothing changed. Precision X saw it, but i didn't track anything from it, no clocks, nothing. I installed the drivers, but it stayed the same. I tried multiple gpu tracking software to see the temps on the 7970, but nothing worked. Until I found HWiNFO. It's a bit overwhelming since it showed me all the temp points, fans, speed, clock of every component in my system, but once I found the 7970, it was all good.

Catalyst Control Center is running in some basic mode, I haven't got half the options I usually had when it was just the 7970. But all in all, it works like a normal pc. Heat is an issue since I can't actually set up the fans or the fan curve for the 7970. With both cards folding on a warm day, the 7970 gets to about 69 and the 780 sits at 66. It's not too high, but it heats the room pretty quick. I won't fold on my cpu until winter I guess, when it's idle with the cards folding the temps are around 55.

So yeah, I guess you can do this and if you're ok with some compromises, you can gain some ppd.

Sorry if this was boring to read, I felt excited I managed to do this and just wanted to share with you guys. 

Now, to see if anything had changed while in games.

UaQXuek.jpg

7970 is getting about 85k and the 780 around 150k.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

Great post - I actually was never able to get AMD and NVidia folding on same PC - but I think the issue was using older cards of both.

Just a few questions for further clarification:

1 - So, you had the AMD card installed and just added in the 780 correct? 

2 - You already had AMD Catalyst installed?

3 - Did you install any NVidia drivers or just using the default ones Windows uses?

4 - Are you using GPU Boost 2.0 software at all?

Thanks!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

1. I actually switched to the 780 completely and put the 7970 in a drawer because the original plan was to get another pc and put the 7970 in that one and have it separate from this one

2. I had it when I had the 7970 in it, but when I installed the 780 I deleted every piece of amd software

3. I'm using the latest beta drivers 326.80

4. yup, using it

Mtv1M9Z.jpg

my steps were:

1. 7970 installed with ccc

2. removing 7970 and removing all drivers and software

3. installing 780

4. flashing mobo bios to the latest one

5. 780 installed with latest drivers 

6. installing 7970 and drivers

it basically worked the same as when I installed the 780. except the need to flash the bios. and not being able to change fan settings and barely monitoring the temp

and yeah, I guess your problems could be because they were older cards. what kind of issues were you seeing when you tried that?

@natkoui

Thanks for the update! My issues is regardless of what I did, FAH would recognize all the cards, but would either fail the AMD slots or fail the NVidia slots... only one brand would work at a time.

As my 6870's are already watercooled, I could "add" the 780 as the primary and have it fold when on idle, and have the two 6870's running 7/24. All water cooled. :D

I will test this later though - in order to do that I will def need another rad in my system - which probably means a new case... hmmm...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Thanks for the update! My issues is regardless of what I did, FAH would recognize all the cards, but would either fail the AMD slots or fail the NVidia slots... only one brand would work at a time.

As my 6870's are already watercooled, I could "add" the 780 as the primary and have it fold when on idle, and have the two 6870's running 7/24. All water cooled. :D

I will test this later though - in order to do that I will def need another rad in my system - which probably means a new case... hmmm...

oh ok, I hope it works in your build :)

and regarding a new case, after watching the video about the Cooler Master stacker case or w/e it was called, I immediately made a mental note to buy that when it comes out. think about it, main pc is in the middle part, the mid tower case and then two folders each with a single gpu above and below. I know this doesn't appeal to you since you have like 5 gpus in your folders, but in my case it fits perfectly.

anyway, just wanted to mention that :P

@natkoui

oh ok, I hope it works in your build :)

and regarding a new case, after watching the video about the Cooler Master stacker case or w/e it was called, I immediately made a mental note to buy that when it comes out. think about it, main pc is in the middle part, the mid tower case and then two folders each with a single gpu above and below. I know this doesn't appeal to you since you have like 5 gpus in your folders, but in my case it fits perfectly.

anyway, just wanted to mention that :P

I myself have been keeping an eye on that series as well. Was thinking of going with a Panteks Entho Prime, but the dimensions are just slightly off to fit my GPU and res.

The stacker though looks pretty robust, although aesthetics wise does leave something to be desired. :)  I just hate having to wait till mid october...

I myself have been keeping an eye on that series as well. Was thinking of going with a Panteks Entho Prime, but the dimensions are just slightly off to fit my GPU and res.

The stacker though looks pretty robust, although aesthetics wise does leave something to be desired. :)  I just hate having to wait till mid october...

it is a simple case, a few modifications could make it look a bit "better", but in the end, it's a really good system and I can't wait to get my hands on one of them :P

@natkoui

Hey, I just tried that today. I changed my primary HD6950 for a gtx 670. The HD 6950 was doing nothing for months in the drawer. At first, by adding  HD6950, it fails but the 670 was folding alone. Then, I reinstall FAH and both GPUs work. But it is really hot.

i would't nor recommend it why? different bitrate's other pcb's other lane frequence you can destroy a GPU pci-e lane by that or burn it.. the best way is to stay with Nvidia or AMD. 

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

i would't nor recommend it why? different bitrate's other pcb's other lane frequence you can destroy a GPU pci-e lane by that or burn it.. the best way is to stay with Nvidia or AMD. 

Keep telling yourself that :)

Suuhhrrzzzz?

Never heard of that and know a lot of guys that run both. Any links on info for that?

source?

@natkoui

ok, first of all, I'm sorry for "bumping" this thread, I know it's against the rules, I can honestly say that I'm not doing it for my own benefit, but things like this make me really mad.

why didn't you answer?you say something like that without a link or source or anything?you said something and 3 people requested a source on that. if you can't provide a link on that kind of a statement, maybe not post at all

@natkoui

Sorry but after being on the F@H project for "years" and seeing many people folding on both in 1 computer for a very long time, I can safely say that this is simply not true.

If it was true, I would of heard of it on other F@H forums, including the Official F@H forum and them recommending against it.

Believe me, there some special F@H members that know way more of the in's and out's of some hardware than most of us put together will ever know. (Like on the [H]ard forum, there is a user that makes overclocking bios for a select few 4 processor AMD Server Motherboards. Yes you heard right, overclocking on a server board.).

Believe me, there some special F@H members that know way more of the in's and out's of some hardware than most of us put together will ever know. (Like on the [H]ard forum, there is a user that makes overclocking bios for a select few 4 processor AMD Server Motherboards. Yes you heard right, overclocking on a server board.).

I have one of those boards! :D

Excellent I am taking notes on this hoping that I can get my hands on a 6850 to add to my 780 for folding.

2600K, GTX780, 16Gb 1600mHz, 120Gb vertex 3 boot, 500Gb 840 series games, 2x2Tb segate green 1 backup 1 media storage