Processor Not Running at full speeds

DocSwag
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,

I think that I will just let this one go... It doesn't seem to affect real world performance as it only lowers speeds when stress tested by certain tests and doesn't actually do anything when doing real world tasks such as playing games... It didn't affect valley at all, and geek bench didn't lower the clock speeds. Thanks everyone and happy new year!

Hi so I noticed that when running Aida 64 my CPU never goes up to the max clock speeds. I have a 6700k and whenever running it it alternates between 4 ghz and 3.8, but never goes to 4.2. I tried overclocking it to 4.6, but it just alternates between 3.9 and 4.1 now. I find this very strange and wonder why. Is it because of turbo boost? Also the voltage stays at 1.328 volts no matter what, even though I set it to 1.385 in the bios. For reference my motherboard is the MSI z170a Krait gaming.

Also it isn't thermal throttling either... Temps are always between 60 and 70 and Aida 64 doesn't say any thermal throttling is happening.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Also it isn't thermal throttling either... Temps are always between 60 and 70 and Aida 64 doesn't say any thermal throttling is happening.

Why is your CPU running at such high voltages if it's at stock did you set the voltages back to auto mode after overclocking. As for turbo boost it doesn't always boost all cores under certain parameters, so it can vary.

Why is your CPU running at such high voltages if it's at stock did you set the voltages back to auto mode after overclocking. As for turbo boost it doesn't always boost all cores under certain parameters, so it can vary.

No it's running at those voltages after overclocking.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

No it's running at those voltages after overclocking.

Ok so your chip is overclocked to 4.6GHz but is not capable of going up to that speed, are you setting up your voltages to manual mode, for testing it's best to leave it on that until you dial it in.

Ok so your chip is overclocked to 4.6GHz but is not capable of going up to that speed, are you setting up your voltages to manual mode, for testing it's best to leave it on that until you dial it in.

Yes my voltages are set to manual. I did 4.6 before a while back and it was fine, but since I didn't need the oc I turned it back. Now it doesn't work so weird. I tried something out by setting the ratio to fixed, and it booted up Windows fine and I checked CPU and it was staying at 4.6 the whole time with around 1.37 1.38 volts. However, once I fired up AIDA 64 it immediately dropped to 4.1/3.9 and voltage went down to 1.328 even though I set it to fixed ratio! Why would this happen?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yes my voltages are set to manual. I did 4.6 before a while back and it was fine, but since I didn't need the oc I turned it back. Now it doesn't work so weird. I tried something out by setting the ratio to fixed, and it booted up Windows fine and I checked CPU and it was staying at 4.6 the whole time with around 1.37 1.38 volts. However, once I fired up AIDA 64 it immediately dropped to 4.1/3.9 and voltage went down to 1.328 even though I set it to fixed ratio! Why would this happen?

That is odd why the clock speed would drop down like that and voltages change with fixed voltage, what is the load line calibration at on your system. Also I wouldn't be pushing the voltage too much higher than 1.4V. Use CPU-ID to check your voltages and clock speeds.

That is odd why the clock speed would drop down like that and voltages change with fixed voltage, what is the load line calibration at on your system. Also I wouldn't be pushing the voltage too much higher than 1.4V. Use CPU-ID to check your voltages and clock speeds.

I couldn't find the LLC setting so I don't know, I even tried disabling XMP but it did nothing. However, I have noted that the CPU will occasionally jump to 4.4 or 4.6 ghz for me he second or so while being stress tested, but then drops back down.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I couldn't find the LLC setting so I don't know, I even tried disabling XMP but it did nothing. However, I have noted that the CPU will occasionally jump to 4.4 or 4.6 ghz for me he second or so while being stress tested, but then drops back down.

When stress testing it should push it all the way up to the max, are you doing the old school way of overclocking leaving the base clock at 100 and changing the multiplier or doing it with baseclock since skylake can do that. Also check under Power or a Digi+VRM title for the LLC.

When stress testing it should push it all the way up to the max, are you doing the old school way of overclocking leaving the base clock at 100 and changing the multiplier or doing it with baseclock since skylake can do that. Also check under Power or a Digi+VRM title for the LLC.

Yes I am only doing ratio. I returned all settings to stock and tried again, and now it mainly alternates between 40 and 42 and occasionally 38. However, when I ONLY stressed the CPU and not the FPU it stayed at 42 the whole time. That was something very very strange.

I searched online and my mobo actually doesn't have LLC... So yeah

I tried an expirement and clocked my CPU to 4.6 and ran only CPU on Aida 64 and it consistently stayed at 4.6 ghz. However, when I only did the FPU it stayed at 3.9. When I ran both it did what it has been doing the whole time, jumping back and forth. Do you have any idea why?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I tried an expirement and clocked my CPU to 4.6 and ran only CPU on Aida 64 and it consistently stayed at 4.6 ghz. However, when I only did the FPU it stayed at 3.9. When I ran both it did what it has been doing the whole time, jumping back and forth. Do you have any idea why?

TBH I'm not really sure usually for stress testing it's best to max out CPU, FPU, Mem and Cache to give it full load but it seems odd how both would make it jump like that, unless something is very different on Skylake that I didn't read about then I'm not too sure.

TBH I'm not really sure usually for stress testing it's best to max out CPU, FPU, Mem and Cache to give it full load but it seems odd how both would make it jump like that, unless something is very different on Skylake that I didn't read about then I'm not too sure.

Yeah definitely strange, though I don't recall it doing that before, but I could be wrong. I tried a few other stress tests and the x264 one would just keep the CPU at 4.1 ghz flat, no fluctuation. However, with ASUS Realbench it stayed at 4.6. I am now wondering if it could have anything to do with my cache, which is at 4.1ghz. It seems unlikely, but can cache affect the CPU clock?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah definitely strange, though I don't recall it doing that before, but I could be wrong. I tried a few other stress tests and the x264 one would just keep the CPU at 4.1 ghz flat, no fluctuation. However, with ASUS Realbench it stayed at 4.6. I am now wondering if it could have anything to do with my cache, which is at 4.1ghz. It seems unlikely, but can cache affect the CPU clock?

Sounds almost like the stress testing software isn't pushing the CPU to the max where Realbench seems to be doing a good job here. For Adia 64 make sure all the CPU, FPU, Cache and Mem is stressed at once, while it's not unheard of some stress tests being not being as effective or strenuous it should still push to the max clock speeds. 

I am going to repost this thread again to see if anyone else has any ideas, though I believe that it makes sense if the tests aren't stressing it enough. I also tried running valley benchmark and it ran at full 4.5 ghz (I tried raising my cache to the same frequency as CPU, but it wasn't stable at 4.6, so I turned it to 4.5), but with the cache at 4.5 ghz it still b haves the same as before.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ok so today and yesterday I was overclocking my CPU a bit and for some reason at both stock speeds and overclocked speeds (namely 4.6 ghz) in both Aida 64 and the x264 stability test for some reason my CPU would run at 4.1 or 3.9 ghz and fluctuate between the two instead of running at the full 4.6 or 4.2. However, on Aida 64 when I ONLY stressed the CPU and not the FPU it would run at 4.6. However, with Asus Realbench it would run at 4.6. I wondered if it had to do with cache speeds, though pretty unlikely, but I clocked CPU and cache to 4.5 ghz and it made no difference. I also tried the valley benchmark for Gpus, and the CPU ran at the full clock speed of 4.5 (when I clocked CPU and cache to 4.5). This is a repost, and you can check the original thread at the bottom. I am reposting to see if anymore of you have ideas on why this is. Also I am only ratio overclocking, no BCLK. I have tried everything including turning of XMP and GPU overclocks but no difference.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

what cooler are you running? What temperatures are you hitting in these tests?

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

what cooler are you running? What temperatures are you hitting in these tests?

I am running a hyper 212 evo, and temps are usually around 70.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Do you have C states on or off in the BIOS?

Do you have C states on or off in the BIOS?

It is on on auto on the bios... Not sure what that means... should I enable it?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

C states allow your CPU to downclock when it doesn't need the extra speed. turn that off, and it'll run at 4.6Ghz 100% of the time.

C states allow your CPU to downclock when it doesn't need the extra speed. turn that off, and it'll run at 4.6Ghz 100% of the time.

Tried it and still the same behavior... Though I'm not sure if I did it right or something since it was fluctuating before I opened Aida 64.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I tried one more thing by setting to fixed ratio and c state disabled.... Booting up right now.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah still the same behavior... It's like it just ignores all the settings.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think that I will just let this one go... It doesn't seem to affect real world performance as it only lowers speeds when stress tested by certain tests and doesn't actually do anything when doing real world tasks such as playing games... It didn't affect valley at all, and geek bench didn't lower the clock speeds. Thanks everyone and happy new year!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

So I tried afterward to uninstall two drivers that I had installed a little before the problem started, and I got an issue exact opposite of what I was getting-the CPU was locked at the max 4.2 ghz in everything. I tried a bunch of stuff that all didn't work, so I finally went in the bios and found some c state related setting was disabled. I enabled it and now it is all back to normal, with it turboing to 4.2 ghz in all stress test but also dropping the clock speed. So I guess it worked out in the end :)

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2016 at 9:27 PM, DocSwag said:

So I tried afterward to uninstall two drivers that I had installed a little before the problem started, and I got an issue exact opposite of what I was getting-the CPU was locked at the max 4.2 ghz in everything. I tried a bunch of stuff that all didn't work, so I finally went in the bios and found some c state related setting was disabled. I enabled it and now it is all back to normal, with it turboing to 4.2 ghz in all stress test but also dropping the clock speed. So I guess it worked out in the end :)

I am having the exact same problem. It doesnt run at max clock when using aida64, intel burn test, cinebench. But run at max when using realbench. O also have the 6700k with the msi z170a pc mate motherboard. It didn't have this problem before, but I dont know what caused the problem. What drivers did you uninstall? Hope you still remember after 1 year. C state is on.