Should I Upgrade to Win 10

Hiebly

Hi all

Just wondering if Windows 10 is in a good place for everyone to upgrade now... I primarily game and wanna make sure that there aren't still driver issues or performance issues caused by the bugs that come with having a new OS. Anyone having issues with Win 10? Anyone previous had issues with 10 that are no longer issues?

Oh yes. So far not many problems and its faster than previous versions

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

I've have nothing but good things to say about W10 gaming wise. Haven't had any performance issues or games not working that didnt have issues with modern OS's beforehand (in which case i followed same solving steps at W7).

I do have a friend with a Nvidia card who claims its "laggy" though ( although he is kinda anti-microsoft...), although Ive never seen it happen myself.

If you can upgrade there really is no reason not to.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Hi all

Just wondering if Windows 10 is in a good place for everyone to upgrade now... I primarily game and wanna make sure that there aren't still driver issues or performance issues caused by the bugs that come with having a new OS. Anyone having issues with Win 10? Anyone previous had issues with 10 that are no longer issues?

I have windows 10 and all of the issues are ironed out. It is also way faster on my old hardware.

Go for it!

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

TP-Link WiFi drivers still aren't out yet so no LAN parties for me.

Edit: you can revert back if there are issues. so no problems.

Hey look, my signature is invisible!

Oh yes. So far not many problems and its faster than previous versions

Not "many" problems? can you elaborate on which problems you've had?

I've have nothing but good things to say about W10 gaming wise. Haven't had any performance issues or games not working that didnt have issues with modern OS's beforehand (in which case i followed same solving steps at W7).

I do have a friend with a Nvidia card who claims its "laggy" though ( although he is kinda anti-microsoft...), although Ive never seen it happen myself.

If you can upgrade there really is no reason not to.

I have windows 10 and all of the issues are ironed out. It is also way faster on my old hardware.

Go for it!

Do I have to do a full reinstall or should I be able to just go through the provided upgrade process, update drivers and be good to go?

Not "many" problems? can you elaborate on which problems you've had?

Do I have to do a full reinstall or should I be able to just go through the provided upgrade process, update drivers and be good to go?

sorry for the late reply, yes, i suggest the upgrade process if you want/need your current files/programs and dont want a fresh start, my upgrade process was rather quick and no issues.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I find the linus tech tips forums to be an unreliable source for OS recommendation, with people blindly suggesting whatever's newest without substantiation and with disregard for the details, as if getting people to adopt the latest windows is a competitive sport. Anyway, here is some of the reality to consider:

To the OP, what are the things you intend to use the OS for? Windows 10 mostly functions like Windows 7, except you might find Windows 7's start menu more useful, as Windows 10 reduces some of its functionality.

Windows 7 has better compatibility with older games than Windows 10, and will continue to receive support updates until 2020, so is just past the half-way point in its support life.

Windows 7 / 8 don't support DX12, but they will support Vulkan, which accomplishes the same thing as DX12, which is low-level communication between software drivers and hardware to achieve improved system performance in games and whatever else.

If it's primarily about gaming for you, then I suggest Windows 7 for now, and make sure you activate your Windows 7 license with the free Windows 10 upgrade. Then you can move to Windows 10 at any time in the future, and don't have to worry about not using it right now.

If you don't plan on gaming, then unless you want to use things such as Cortana, you may find that the biggest difference between Windows 10 and 7 is that one has hard-angled corners on application windows (Windows 10), while the other has round corners on application windows (Windows 7). And maybe that Windows 7 has a better start menu.

Also, Windows 10 has bugs in it, and it has fewer visual customization options than Windows 7, and also makes it more difficult to change some things even with an Administrator account than Windows 7.

The very best choice of all options is to have a Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate license, and then to upgrade to Windows 10 with it so that the license is registered as permanently valid for both Windows 7 and Windows 10. Then perhaps go back to Windows 7 until Windows 10 receives some more updates, more features, and fewer issues.

windows 7 and windows 10 are the same. windows 7 spying was planted by Microsoft using windows update while windows 10 is built in. Your best option if you are not planing to game on that PC and willing to loose some windows features which existed back since windows 95 is Linux or hackintosh.  

The telemetry updates for Windows 7 can be blocked by disabling automatic updates, and not installing the updates which add telemetry to Windows 7. Windows 10's telemetry is built into the OS.

The only area in which Windows 10 is faster than Windows 7 is in OS boot times, where it's faster by some seconds. For doing things once within the OS, Windows 10 is not faster than 7 or 8, and is actually slower regarding some things, such as launching the calculator, and photo viewer (oddly).

Windows 10 is not a bad OS, but it's not bad because it doesn't do a lot that messes with what was already good in previous Windows versions. That is to say, it still does some bad, while previous Windows versions have virtually everything that's good about Windows 10, but without the bad parts.

You might find that Windows 10 is simply a more restricted Windows 7, with a worse start menu, unwanted snooping services, and bugs. I have both Windows 7 and 10 installed, and have been mostly using Windows 10 for the last month. But to make it comfortable I had to replace the start menu, jump through hoops with Administrator rights, and disable Cortana features and other snooping services built into the OS. When I boot into Windows 7, it's like a breath of fresh air, and I think that with the Windows 7 visual design everything just feels nicer, not sterile and gaudy like the Windows 10 taskbar and title bar colouring.

Overall, Windows 10 is a bit of a step backwards from Windows 7's accommodation to the user, but because it's a small step backward, people might find it easy to gloss over in favour of the psychological impression of having something that's new after a number of years.

And if you upgrade, be sure to do a clean installation, because just doing the upgrade has caused problems for lots of people - and someone saying they haven't experienced problems isn't a guarantee for your own experience. And without knowing how a person uses their OS, it can't be judged how relevant their experience is to your own plans to upgrade.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I find the linus tech tips forums to be an unreliable source for OS recommendation, with people blindly suggesting whatever's newest without substantiation and with disregard for the details, as if getting people to adopt the latest windows is a competitive sport. Anyway, here is some of the reality to consider:

The only area in which Windows 10 is faster than Windows 7 is in OS boot times, where it's faster by some seconds. For doing things once within the OS, Windows 10 is not faster than 7 or 8, and is actually slower regarding some things, such as launching the calculator, and photo viewer (oddly).

Windows 10 is not a bad OS, but it's not bad because it doesn't do a lot that messes with what was already good in previous Windows versions. That is to say, it still does some bad, while previous Windows versions have virtually everything that's good about Windows 10, but without the bad parts.

You might find that Windows 10 is simply a more restricted Windows 7, with a worse start menu, unwanted snooping services, and bugs. I have both Windows 7 and 10 installed, and have been mostly using Windows 10 for the last month. But to make it comfortable I had to replace the start menu, jump through hoops with Administrator rights, and disable Cortana features and other snooping services built into the OS. When I boot into Windows 7, it's like a breath of fresh air, and I think that the visual design everything just feels nicer, not sterile and gaudy like the Windows 10 taskbar and title bar colouring.

Overall, Windows 10 is a bit of a step backwards from Windows 7's accommodation to the user, but because it's a small step backward, people might find it easy to gloss over in favour of the psychological impression of having something that's new after a number of years.

And if you upgrade, be sure to do a clean installation, because just doing the upgrade has caused problems for lots of people - and someone saying they haven't experienced problems isn't a guarantee for your own experience. And without knowing how a person uses their OS, it can't be judged how relevant their experience is to your own plans to upgrade.

I'm using Windows 8.1 right now, so I'm well used to using Classic Shell (and based on what I've seen of W10's start menu I would continue to use something like ClassicShell). I presume that people will continue to make graphical mods for Windows 10... for awhile I had my Windows 8 configured to have a user interface nearly identical to OSX Mavericks. So I'm not too concerned with their disgusting mobile-inspired taskbar, windows and buttons.

I really don't wanna do a clean install :( I have like 600GB of games and only a 450GB monthly data cap (about 200GB of which is used up by other people in the house watching Netflix lol).

sorry for the late reply, yes, i suggest the upgrade process if you want/need your current files/programs and dont want a fresh start, my upgrade process was rather quick and no issues.

You uninstall chipset/audio/graphics drivers and reinstall after upgrade or did you not have to fuss with them?

if you upgrade to windows 10

you need to khnow

that all of the old assassins games like unity black flag 2 3 etc will crash every 15 minutes on windows 10

many  games also are reported to random crash on windows 10 .

search google for your games

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

if you upgrade to windows 10

you need to khnow

that all of the old assassins games like unity black flag 2 3 etc will crash every 15 minutes on windows 10

many  games also are reported to random crash on windows 10 .

search google for your games

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look. Though I don't play any Assassin's Creed games. Ubisoft games are poop on pc

You uninstall chipset/audio/graphics drivers and reinstall after upgrade or did you not have to fuss with them?

i did not mess with any drivers, I did however, update all of them once i upgraded to ensure they would work correctly with W10, although I didn't have any issues when upgrading with drivers.

i did not mess with any drivers, I did however, update all of them once i upgraded to ensure they would work correctly with W10, although I didn't have any issues when upgrading with drivers.

coolio julio

alright i think i might do it.

kinda worried though, i really dont want to have to re-download 600GB of games :(

I'm using Windows 8.1 right now, so I'm well used to using Classic Shell (and based on what I've seen of W10's start menu I would continue to use something like ClassicShell). I presume that people will continue to make graphical mods for Windows 10... for awhile I had my Windows 8 configured to have a user interface nearly identical to OSX Mavericks. So I'm not too concerned with their disgusting mobile-inspired taskbar, windows and buttons.

I really don't wanna do a clean install :( I have like 600GB of games and only a 450GB monthly data cap (about 200GB of which is used up by other people in the house watching Netflix lol).

You don't have to download Windows 10 twice to do a clean installation after an upgrade. If you choose Windows 10, download Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool towards the bottom of this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Put it on a USB drive or CD ROM, use it for the upgrade. Then after upgraded, you can use it again to perform a clean installation.

Be aware though, that if you download it to a USB stick, it will automatically format the stick first.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987