Help needed, PC won't post

I just bought components for a new build. It is a budget build, but nonetheless. I built the computer, everything was done correctly. I am a perfectionist, I went back over everything multiple times. The first problem I was having is the unit would start up for half a second then die. I took the pc apart and built it again on the desk, it started up and ran. I then took it apart to reassemble in the case again, and it was doing the same thing, starting for half a second and dying. 

At this point, I'm thinking it has something to do with the case shorting the motherboard, so I try a million and one different things on the stand-offs, etc. Not the problem. I take it back out and now I can;t get it to work on the desk. It's just starting for half a second and dying again. I only ever got it to spool up for more than half a second that one time, and I cannot replicate it. Is my motherboard simply defective? I also read reviews that the processor is not compatible with the motherboard, but I called MSI directly and they ensured me it was. 

I have now been issued an RMA, but was wondering if anyone had some tips for this type of problem? Do you agree that it's probably a defective unit? 

That mobo is bad. All FM3+ mobos except for the ones from ASUS tend to be really bad.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

happened to me on my first build make sure that all of the cables are in correctly tr this time without using cable management 

Did you put standoffs on your case? The mobo might have been shorted out by something touching it.

happened to me on my first build make sure that all of the cables are in correctly tr this time without using cable management 

yeah, everything was done correctly. Could not get it to run for more than half a second. 

Did you put standoffs on your case? The mobo might have been shorted out by something touching it.

Of course. They were metal, I had all 9 correctly placed, corresponding to my motherboard, etc. I tried them with washers, with electrical tape, just naturally, and nothing worked. 

And that was only an inkling when I started it out of the case, but I think it was a fluke due to not being able to replicate it. 

Read my post above. ^^ IE get ride of the mobo.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Read my post above. ^^ IE get ride of the mobo.

Thanks man! 

That is the current plan. I'm fairly disappointed and also worried that I will experience the same problem again.