Horizontal Frequency vs Vertical Frequency?

Regis_DeVallis

So I saw this TV posted here a few minutes ago. In the description it said that the Vertical Frequency was 60Hz and the Horizontal Frequency was 30 - 85Hz. What does this mean and how does it affect performance? 

Intel 4690K 4.5 GTX 970 Strix ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 LGA 1150 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB NZXT Black/Red Kingston 240GB SSD && Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3TB HDD Corsair H60 Corsair Builder 500W

PCPartPicker

Moved to Displays. Please ensure you're posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Moved to Displays. Please ensure you're posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time. 

Intel 4690K 4.5 GTX 970 Strix ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 LGA 1150 Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB NZXT Black/Red Kingston 240GB SSD && Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 3TB HDD Corsair H60 Corsair Builder 500W

PCPartPicker

Will it be different everytime we move our mouse?

Maybe? I was also wondering if it affected frame rate based physics too. 

PCPartPicker

Even thou it all looks instantaneous, the pixels are drawn one by one in a series.

Vertical scan and horizontal scan apply mostly to old CRT displays. They 'threw' electrons on the screen, left to right and up to down in rows. Just like writing a book, for example.

The technology is now different but the principal remain. So the horizontal rate is how fast you display or TV will draw a line left to right and the vertical rate is how fast it can draw line after line, up to down.

The overall framerate of the display is how fast it can start drawing a new image, starting from the top-left pixel. That rate is forced to be a preset rate. Like 60Hz. That means, it'll start drawing a new picture regardless of whether the last picture was finished or not.

This is the very core of screen tearing, BTW. 

The horizontal and vertical scans vary depending on the situation but they don't affect the overall framerate. If you have very fast scans, the picture sits there ready longer, it the scans are slower, the picture won't be whole for as long and if the scans take significantly longer than the refresh rate of the display, the image will tear. You'll have a part of the old picture and a part of the new visible long enough for you to notice.

But since it's a TV you asked about, the video stream is also of preset framerate. For example a constant 24fps. This'll cause no issues whatsoever. The problem is really only gaming and the fact that the draw speed varies according to the strain the GPU is under.

Vertical scans do affect the overall visible frame rate. The vertical scan rate is the refresh rate which is what V-Sync is tied to - if my vertical scan is 60Hz, V-Sync will lock the frame rate to 60FPS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Even thou it all looks instantaneous, the pixels are drawn one by one in a series.

Vertical scan and horizontal scan apply mostly to old CRT displays. They 'threw' electrons on the screen, left to right and up to down in rows. Just like writing a book, for example.

The technology is now different but the principal remain. So the horizontal rate is how fast you display or TV will draw a line left to right and the vertical rate is how fast it can draw line after line, up to down.

The overall framerate of the display is how fast it can start drawing a new image, starting from the top-left pixel. That rate is forced to be a preset rate. Like 60Hz. That means, it'll start drawing a new picture regardless of whether the last picture was finished or not.

The horizontal and vertical scans vary depending on the situation but they don't affect the overall framerate. If you have very fast scans, the picture sits there ready longer, it the scans are slower, the picture won't be whole for as long and if the scans take significantly longer than the refresh rate of the display, the image will tear. You'll have a part of the old picture and a part of the new visible long enough for you to notice.

But since it's a TV you asked about, the video stream is also of preset framerate. For example a constant 24fps. This'll cause no issues whatsoever. The problem is really only gaming and the fact that the draw speed varies according to the strain the GPU is under.

Thanks

PCPartPicker

u're a real helper sir. thx