First boot BIOS Settings help

Go to solution Solved by Exploded117,

snip

Welcome to the Forum! And don't forget to follow your topics to get notifications on replies so that people don't have to quote you like this^.

As far as your question goes; after you install all of your components you shouldn't need to change any settings in the BIOS to run your system.

Since you didn't include an optical drive in your part list, you would need to install Windows or whichever OS you will be using from USB. (the instructions that follow are for windows installation) Just go on a different computer and create a bootable USB drive with windows on it (instructions can be found on multiple sites on the internet, and for windows 10, microsoft makes it extremely easy with their media creation tool.) and plug it into your computer. Mash the button for your motherboard that will get you into your BIOS while booting, select the option to boot from your USB drive, and exit the BIOS. (which should restart the PC) Once it restarts, your will be on the windows installation menu. Make sure that when the option is available go into advanced settings and make sure that your SSD is selected for the installation, and format it if there is some stuff already on there. After that, let microsoft's magic do the thing and once it is done installing you may need to unplud the USB drive or select to boot from the SSD in the BIOS or else your motherboard may keep booting the USB and keep installing windows in an infinite loop.

Then you should be set to use your PC.

Hello! I am building my first PC soon and am wondering what to do after all of the components are installed, specifically in the BIOS settings. Basically, is there anything I should do before beginning to install things and use the PC? Here is the build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/hp3wdC

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($258.24 @ Vuugo) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.05 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($126.01 @ DirectCanada) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($70.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($359.99 @ NCIX) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.75 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ NCIX) 
Total: $1083.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-27 01:04 EST-0500

Thank you!

Nope. It should be good to go.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

After booting the PC it will say new CPU or RAM installed (On the lines of that) just press the button to go into bios setup and then just leave. Then install the OS boot CD or USB and go from there

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

snip

Welcome to the Forum! And don't forget to follow your topics to get notifications on replies so that people don't have to quote you like this^.

As far as your question goes; after you install all of your components you shouldn't need to change any settings in the BIOS to run your system.

Since you didn't include an optical drive in your part list, you would need to install Windows or whichever OS you will be using from USB. (the instructions that follow are for windows installation) Just go on a different computer and create a bootable USB drive with windows on it (instructions can be found on multiple sites on the internet, and for windows 10, microsoft makes it extremely easy with their media creation tool.) and plug it into your computer. Mash the button for your motherboard that will get you into your BIOS while booting, select the option to boot from your USB drive, and exit the BIOS. (which should restart the PC) Once it restarts, your will be on the windows installation menu. Make sure that when the option is available go into advanced settings and make sure that your SSD is selected for the installation, and format it if there is some stuff already on there. After that, let microsoft's magic do the thing and once it is done installing you may need to unplud the USB drive or select to boot from the SSD in the BIOS or else your motherboard may keep booting the USB and keep installing windows in an infinite loop.

Then you should be set to use your PC.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

You've done me a great kindness in quoting me, I had no idea I had to follow the post, thanks!

I've installed Windows plenty, so thats not a problem; the only reason I ask is that in this video he does some fancy stuff in the bios. You guys seem to be telling me theres nothing to worry about though, so I will keep trucking on.

Thanks!

in this video he does some fancy stuff in the bios

What he does here are some small configurations that you can do if you want. What he does is set his fans to a quiet mode which ASUS provides as part of their fan control in their BIOS, set his memory to a different profile which will give the most performance out of it, and set his drives to RAID mode so that he can run his two intel SSDs in RAID 0. All things that you could do, but you don't have to to get your PC up and running.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

All things that you could do, but you don't have to to get your PC up and running.

Oh I see. In that case, do you have any recommendations of things that I should/could do for performance increases? Or do you think that its not worth the trouble?

Oh I see. In that case, do you have any recommendations of things that I should/could do for performance increases? Or do you think that its not worth the trouble?

It's not really worth the trouble because you won't see that much of a performance increase. However, you may find in the future that if you try to do some unconventional things with your PC you may need to change some settings. For example, for hackintoshes your drives need to be set in a specific mode or OSX won't recognize them and if you want to run virtual machines you will need to enable visualization on your CPU...

The only thing I would recommend doing when you first get your PC is overclocking, basically free performance.

-Ron White