CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 worth it?

Tmt97

So two questions. Is the Corsair Hydro Series H55 any good? and second, is it worth it for $40 dollars? I don't really have a lot of money left in my budget, but I'm hoping to liquid cool for as cheap as possible.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

So two questions. Is the Corsair Hydro Series H55 any good? and second, is it worth it for $40 dollars? I don't really have a lot of money left in my budget, but I'm hoping to liquid cool for as cheap as possible.

It's okayish. I'd much rather use an air cooler for the same price as it will likely perform better.

What's your planned build and what's your budget and (more accurate than 'Earth') location?

Sig under construction.

It's okayish. I'd much rather use an air cooler for the same price as it will likely perform better.

What's your planned build and what's your budget and (more accurate than 'Earth') location?

Well the cpu which I am trying to cool is an AMD FX-6300 Processor. As far as my budget, all I have left is about $40 or less. I was hoping to maybe get a liquid cooler from black friday/cyber monday deals since it seems that's the time I would ever have a chance of getting an AIO cooler for that cost. If I am going to be %100 honest, the desire for the AIO liquid cooler stems in equal parts for legitimately wanting a bit more cooling, and just being able to say I have it in my build. If a liquid cooler is out of the question in my price range, anything else that I could add on for $40?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Well the cpu which I am trying to cool is an AMD FX-6300 Processor. As far as my budget, all I have left is about $40 or less. I was hoping to maybe get a liquid cooler from black friday/cyber monday deals since it seems that's the time I would ever have a chance of getting an AIO cooler for that cost. If I am going to be %100 honest, the desire for the AIO liquid cooler stems in equal parts for legitimately wanting a bit more cooling, and just being able to say I have it in my build. If a liquid cooler is out of the question in my price range, anything else that I could add on for $40?

I think that you'll probably get better performance out of a large tower cooler at that price point, to be completely honest.

Also can I sway you to an Intel processor as it will perform better for a similar price in most applications?

Sig under construction.

I think that you'll probably get better performance out of a large tower cooler at that price point, to be completely honest.

Also can I sway you to an Intel processor as it will perform better for a similar price in most applications?

So what tower cooler would you reccomend? And no you cant for two reasons. One is that Intel was just out of my budget when I was deciding on components, and I had reasons for choosing that specific cpu, and two it is currently in a plane above Nevada heading straight to my mailbox.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

So what tower cooler would you reccomend? And no you cant for two reasons. One is that Intel was just out of my budget when I was deciding on components, and I had reasons for choosing that specific cpu, and two it is currently in a plane above Nevada heading straight to my mailbox.

Okay.

Any particular retailer? Any particular color scheme?

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is probably fine for it. I've been running my FX-6100 in my server with a Hyper TX3 Evo and it's almost fine.

If you can stretch your budget some, I'd go for the NH-D14 used on Amazon.com.

Sig under construction.

Where are you finding the H55 for $40? The best U.S. price I can find for it is $54 on PC Part Picker. Generally closed-loop liquid coolers are considered a lesser performance-per-dollar value than air coolers at their usual prices, but if you can find one for $40 I expect it would be a rather good value. The H55 is fairly low-end, but judging by the specs it only differs from the H60 in that it comes with a lesser-quality fan. The radiator is the same. So you could replace the fan with a higher-end product and possibly get a decent, relatively cheap cooling upgrade someday.

I actually don't think it's a terrible thing to pay more for an all-in-one liquid cooler than you would have to for air, as long as you're aware that you're paying a bit extra for convenience and appearance. We tech enthusiasts do that all the time. Look at some of the keyboards and mice we use. :P

There is the added benefit that an AIO cooler can be set up to draw in cool air from outside your case, and so relies less on airflow inside the case. As someone with an H440, I can say that is worth something in some situations.

Okay.

Any particular retailer? Any particular color scheme?

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is probably fine for it. I've been running my FX-6100 in my server with a Hyper TX3 Evo and it's almost fine.

If you can stretch your budget some, I'd go for the NH-D14 used on Amazon.com.

Well my motherboard and graphics card are black and silver, so pretty much anything will match. As for retailer, I'le go with whoever is cheapest. I live in the United States if that helps, east coast. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo looks pretty good, what kind of temps have you gotten with it?

Where are you finding the H55 for $40? The best U.S. price I can find for it is $54 on PC Part Picker. Generally closed-loop liquid coolers are considered a lesser performance-per-dollar value than air coolers at their usual prices, but if you can find one for $40 I expect it would be a rather good value. The H55 is fairly low-end, but judging by the specs it only differs from the H60 in that it comes with a lesser-quality fan. The radiator is the same. So you could replace the fan with a higher-end product and possibly get a decent, relatively cheap cooling upgrade someday.

I actually don't think it's a terrible thing to pay more for an all-in-one liquid cooler than you would have to for air, as long as you're aware that you're paying a bit extra for convenience and appearance. We tech enthusiasts do that all the time. Look at some of the keyboards and mice we use. :P

There is the added benefit that an AIO cooler can be set up to draw in cool air from outside your case, and so relies less on airflow inside the case. As someone with an H440, I can say that is worth something in some situations.

The H55 is actually on Newegg right now, I can give ya a link if you want.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Well my motherboard and graphics card are black and silver, so pretty much anything will match. As for retailer, I'le go with whoever is cheapest. I live in the United States if that helps, east coast. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo looks pretty good, what kind of temps have you gotten with it?

The H55 is actually on Newegg right now, I can give ya a link if you want.

Refurbed?  I will share my experience on refurbed aio's before anyone shoots it down.  I bought a refurbed h100 and the pump failed within 3 months...not the best experience.  I also purchased 8 refurbed h55s from newegg when they were on sale for $27.99.  I used most of these paired with kraken g10/corsair hg10 brackets.  All of these units have seen moderate to heavy use in the last 18 months and none have leaked/failed on me yet.