Quick Overclocking Question [GPU]

When increasing GPU core voltage how much should I increase it by? by +1 or +2 or by +5 +10?

and should I raise it if the display drivers crash? 

You should lower it if the display driver is crashing, and what is you graphic card?

970 SC+ACX 2.0 and its not extremely heavy overclocks either :/ +525 mem and + 120 core
Edit: on phone right now so sorry for any obvious spelling mistakes

edit #2  @blueballs

Raise the voltage as much as you are confortable with ( if temps are reasonable).

I personnaly go +10 until the very end where i do +5 and then by +1 ( for fine tuning)

a display driver crash isnt different than a regular crash you would get while overclocking , so up the voltage when it happens.

Edit ; at least i think for that last statement.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

970 SC+ACX 2.0 and its not extremely heavy overclocks either :/ +525 mem and + 120 core

Edit: on phone right now so sorry for any obvious spelling mistakes

There's nothing in the stock bios of that card that's going to hurt anything.  As long as the temps are good, bump everything up as high as possible and run with it.

I would highly suggest though, that during your test runs, you have GPUz sensors tab open, and watch the perf cap reason line.  Watch for GREEN in that line while your GPU is under load.  Green is PWR, power limit.  The 970s are all having a lot of issues with running into power limits while under even average overclocks.  If you get a power limit, it will throttle your clocks down to get the card back under the power limit, making your overclock, essentially worthless.

That card may have a dual bios....may want to try the 2nd bios too.  It has higher power limits.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

There's nothing in the stock bios of that card that's going to hurt anything. As long as the temps are good, bump everything up as high as possible and run with it.

I would highly suggest though, that during your test runs, you have GPUz sensors tab open, and watch the perf cap reason line. Watch for GREEN in that line while your GPU is under load. Green is PWR, power limit. The 970s are all having a lot of issues with running into power limits while under even average overclocks. If you get a power limit, it will throttle your clocks down to get the card back under the power limit, making your overclock, essentially worthless.

That card may have a dual bios....may want to try the 2nd bios too. It has higher power limits.

Sadly my card doesn't have a second bios, that I know of. I believe it was the SSC and Classified/kingpin cards

I will run it with GPU-z open and keep an eye out for that. For the most part when I've done overclocking its gotten me a grey screen on my monitor (if it happens again I'll post a picture) I'm pretty sure my card just hates me and windows A LOT

Edit: system just grey screened I'll get a picture in a second. No added voltage

+127 core +515 mem

CUr5IbMU8AAw-Jz.jpg

Sadly my card doesn't have a second bios, that I know of. I believe it was the SSC and Classified/kingpin cards

I will run it with GPU-z open and keep an eye out for that. For the most part when I've done overclocking its gotten me a grey screen on my monitor (if it happens again I'll post a picture) I'm pretty sure my card just hates me and windows A LOT

Edit: system just grey screened I'll get a picture in a second. No added voltage

+127 core +515 mem

CUr5IbMU8AAw-Jz.jpg

Push the voltage slider up a bit and try again.  The most you're going to get out of it is like +56mv anyway.  It'll go up to +87, but you'll never see it because of the limits in the bios, which are set to 1.262v.  I run mine daily, and all the time at 1.275v, so bump that slider all the way up and let it fly.  Should be able to handle those voltages on the stock fan curve just fine.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10