Asus VG248QE is it worth it?

CowTechTips

Is the asus VG248QE really worth the extra money for the 144hz? What are your experiences with this model? Transitioning from 60hz to 144hz, do you really notice the difference.

Do you have the graphics power to make use of 144Hz?

Do you have the graphics power to make use of 144Hz?

Im still planning out my parts. Im going for maybe a 760 or a 770 msi twin frozr.

A 760 unless will only make use of 144Hz at low setting on certain games (meaning not AAA titles). Just get a 60Hz monitor.

I really like mine, playing a lot of FPS games partly competitive it is nice to have a smooth experience at high frames. So for me it is totally worth it, then if you want you can run the lighboost hack (google it). That is also really nice and that is what I am running right now. 

Edit: I would say 770 so you have more horse power to push 144.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Im still planning out my parts. Im going for maybe a 760 or a 770 msi twin frozr.

Get a 7950/7970 instead. Better/Similar performance for less.

As for the transition, the mouse movement looks a bit smoother--that's about it for me. Unless you're planning on gaming competitively and you need the extra frames, I'd recommending an IPS panel instead.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

770 with overclocking, yes you can hit 144, however just because it can hit 144 doesn't mean that'd be your average.

and difference between 60 to 144? responsiveness, you won't notice it - however after awhile try gaming on 60 again, it'll handicap you haha :)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

A 770 is a 680 equivalent. I had a 680 and the vg278h 120Hz monitor and it was fine. Now I have tri titans and 3 vg248qe's in portrait surround. Going from 60 to 144 is amazing. Especially if you play fps games!!!!

[Official] Debezelled Monitor & Portrait Surround/Eyefinity

How to debezel a ASUS VG248QE 144hz 3D monitor

ASUS VG248QE 144hz 3D Monitor - REVIEW

PORTRAIT SURROUND VG248QE - 3770k - MVE - SLI TITAN - AX1200i - 800D - HD800 - MUTEKI 7.2

switching to 144hz is amazing, I could not go back to a 60hz monitor. the motion in everything you do is just so smooth, it really makes playing games a lot more fun.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Most people recommend a crossfire/sli setup so you can full utilize the extra refresh rate, but even something like a 770 can achieve over 60fps in most modern games at the highest setting, and if you're like me you prefer smoothness over graphical quality and will lower settings to achieve a higher framerate. So, personally, I say it's worth it. One downside would be the fact that it's a TN panel, which doesn't look as good as an IPS, so if you really care about viewing angles and the richness of colors etc. you probably wouldn't want it.

Well I don't have the specefic monitor you're talking about, but I do have the BenQ xl2420te which is very similar to it. I can tell you that gaming has changed alot for me. When playing a game like NBA 2K13, as corny as it sounds, it feels like you're actually watching a game in the Stadium. Competitively I feel like I'm in total control of battlefield 3 and it feels great. I can't say if for you personally it can be worth it, you're the one that judges that. But if you have the power to run games at that frame-rate, from my personal experience it changes things about alot (for the better). 

For all the falsely accused: message me and we can decide how to right all the wrongs that happened to you!

I'm looking at the major corporations, the lying online communities, the government that protects us...

We are HUMANS, not robotic slaves! 

I have that monitor. I can feel the difference. (From what I heard the difference between 60frames and 144/120 frames depends on the person).

After a few months of ownership I've realized 144hz is more of a "wow" factor, but I don't see any real, permanent benefits.

It doesn't really make you a better player, doesn't decrease eye strain, etc.

It's a matter of "getting used to" (For me, anyway)

I can game 60hz. for a few hours, and it's like there was no difference.

Likewise, I game at 144hz and there's the "wow" part, but you get used to the luxury and you feel indifferent after a while.

As expected, it is a TN panel, so don't expect very accurate colors. It is also bulkier (maybe less visually appealing to some)

That's why I suggest a good IPS monitor.

Get a 7950/7970 instead. Better/Similar performance for less.

As for the transition, the mouse movement looks a bit smoother--that's about it for me. Unless you're planning on gaming competitively and you need the extra frames, I'd recommending an IPS panel instead.

Any ips monitors you would reccomend 24 inch around $200 or lower

Any ips monitors you would reccomend 24 inch around $200 or lower

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs239hp

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.