[Build Log] Orange...something-something.

Cicada

11/1/2015 - Test Fitting & Loop Planning

While I wait for a bending kit, PETG tubing, 2nd rad, my GPU waterblock and a couple fittings to arrive from Performance PCs, I figured i'd try and lay everything out since I have all of the essential components, and see how this will all fit (or not fit). I'll reserve ordering/wasting more money on fittings until I see what exactly I'll need for all the hardline.

I visualized the loop in this post. Let's see what it looks like IRL.

bb9oHct.jpg

It looks a bit tight. With the length and width of the Strix, I cannot mount the reservoir next to the motherboard, nor can I mount it in the case's recommended mounting location (under the rear 140mm exhaust fan) The PSU shroud is perforated, and I can easily mount it in the position in this photo without having to drill. The pump will (hopefully) be mounted near the front radiator in the basement (pic below)

sLWEqbF.jpg

wTJcQxO.jpg

I may mount the block in this orientation just to allow for easier/cleaner routing of the lines -- but my OCD may not let me, because of the logo. I saw the PerofrmancePCs Star wars blocks they released over the Halloween weekend -- almost wanted to pick one up -- almost :P

lJ5IBgr.jpg

Is the logo not just applied with adhesive? 

If that's the case, some heat, a guitar pick, and a pair of tweezers could do the trick in prying it up, then removing it. Also it depends on how fragile the acrylic is itself, or how easy it would be to scratch.  :unsure:

(I'm not liable for any damage done to your CPU block! xD)

I'll reserve ordering/wasting more money on fittings until I see what exactly I'll need for all the hardline.

It looks a bit tight. With the length and width of the Strix, I cannot mount the reservoir next to the motherboard, nor can I mount it in the case's recommended mounting location (under the rear 140mm exhaust fan) The PSU shroud is perforated, and I can easily mount it in the position in this photo without having to drill. The pump will (hopefully) be mounted near the front radiator in the basement (pic below)

I may mount the block in this orientation just to allow for easier/cleaner routing of the lines -- but my OCD may not let me, because of the logo. I saw the PerofrmancePCs Star wars blocks they released over the Halloween weekend -- almost wanted to pick one up -- almost

I'll say! Think I've placed 3 orders for fittings now because what's in my head for the loop is never what actually happens in test fits.

Just realised you may be able to mount the reservoir on the radiator or attach it to the removable rad holder up top with something like this, or like this from EK.  

Why is there an ocean between you and I PerfPcs! Why...

Is the logo not just applied with adhesive? 

If that's the case, some heat, a guitar pick, and a pair of tweezers could do the trick in prying it up, then removing it. Also it depends on how fragile the acrylic is itself, or how easy it would be to scratch.  :unsure:

(I'm not liable for any damage done to your CPU block! xD)

I think you're right.

the logo looks like it's recessed a bit so there may be a small recess for the logo, so i cant place it anywhere else -- at least i can turn it right-side up :P

I think you're right.

the logo looks like it's recessed a bit so there may be a small recess for the logo, so i cant place it anywhere else -- at least i can turn it right-side up :P

If you're going to give it a go, good luck!  ^_^

Like most things modding related, be careful and don't force it! Especially when it comes to removing anything glued onto something else. 

Sexy so far, though that sag is bad (not as bad as this thread that i posted: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/467474-gpu-sag-like-no-other/)

It's not fully seated in the slot in the photo -- it was jsut for test fitting and layout. I imagine once i get the waterblock on it with the backplate, it won't sag at all, because the massive cooler won't be there anymore :P

So I didn't plan on using one of these, but I may throw the OS and applications on this...dont know what i'll be using the 400GB Intel 750 for..

eFa8JP7.png

So I didn't plan on using one of these, but I may throw the OS and applications on this...dont know what i'll be using the 400GB Intel 750 for..

eFa8JP7.png

First world problems!

I'll say! Think I've placed 3 orders for fittings now because what's in my head for the loop is never what actually happens in test fits.

Just realised you may be able to mount the reservoir on the radiator or attach it to the removable rad holder up top with something like this, or like this from EK.  

Why is there an ocean between you and I PerfPcs! Why...

Seriously -- I'm just on the other end of the country and the stuff can't come fast enough -- I placed 3 separate orders with them last week, so this week should be a good week for goodies. Then I'll have to really plan out how I want everything routed and then order extra fittings. I think the biggest challenge is going to be where the pump mounts. the access to the basement is kind of at an awkward angle (as you can see in the above pic showing the proposed pump location) and clearance isn't much -- may need to dremel, but i'm hoping one of the double or triple rotary fittings will address the awkward angle, and i'm hoping there's enough clearance for it.

eFa8JP7.png

I was reading about these and they get over 100 degrees Celsius! One of them got to 120 degrees Celsius!

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

I was reading about these and they get over 100 degrees Celsius! One of them got to 120 degrees Celsius!

I was worried about thermal throttling, but it seems like it only happens under sustained read/write operations of like 150GB+ -- I shouldn't see a performance decrease if i'm just going to load OS and apps on this drive. I chose to use this as the OS drive because i've heard that the Intel PCIe SSD tends to boot slower than just a regular 'ol SSD.

I suppose I can use the 400GB as the working/scratch disk.

11/3/2015 - More Goodies! - SSDs, Cooling Components, Fans, Cables & Bend Kit

K3eOgCd.jpg

U4fOaZK.jpg

h4FcAri.jpg

oPvVveQ.jpg

94QBh7X.jpg

jpa8BJT.jpg

Monsoon Mandrel Kit

C7WfTiS.jpg

240mm Slim Rad

KHbB7Cj.jpg

Tt Riing Fans (5 total, for radiators)

VOBkN05.jpg

z1JrzUG.jpg

49yE85t.jpg

Cablemods Cables for Corsair AX PSUs

11/9/2015 - A Little Cosmetic Surgery

Took Rumikarimu's advice and heated it up a bit -- The emblem is attached with mounting tape. I used a tiny dab of super glue to re-apply it in the right orientation.

A8IDTfM.jpg

0ljA0Lf.jpg

Glamour Shots & Tubing:

6AIkkXr.jpg

0ZPR8aQ.jpg

GxivSfv.jpg

What camera do you use?

For these, I used a 5D Mark III.

• 3 months later...