overkill office pc

weez
First, only buying off newegg or amazon. Please no mail-in rebates unless the item youre swapping out is same cost before rebate. I want avoid as many rebates as I can but im not against them

I'm building a pc for my friend and he told me to go overkill and leave room for upgrades. He wants this pc to last many many years. Now all he is going to be doing is office work using libreoffice, watching youtube videos, and maybe editing his go-pro videos. Right now he isnt sure if he wants to do any gaming or if he is going to be doing any cad for his job. 

Originally I was going to pick out an i3 but the lowest price one right now is $117 and I think the $66 difference between the i3 and i5 is worth it for him. It will be good if he does decide to game or do cad. So this build is just the pc, I'll post up about monitors later as he isnt 100% sure on size and budget for that. The only this we have is the case (listed) and I'll probably get windows off reddit. Here is the part list. 

Motherboard: Asus B85M-G R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($66.28 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($17.90 @ Amazon) 

Total: $448.12

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-10 00:18 EDT-0400

Reason for using aftermarket cooler. Noise. Stock cooler is too noisy. 

Reason for that mobo, 4 ram slots, all the headers needed, pci-e 3.0 x16 and 2 pci-e x1 slots. Just looks like a good price for the features

Reason for wifi card, $14 at newegg after promo code. Looks like a good card for the price.

So anything you guys would change? I know the cpu is way overkill but whatever. He has the money to burn and he wants way overkill so yeah lol.

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Umm... change the PSU to something bronze or gold. Get a GPU, a R9 380

He doesn't need a GPU for office use, and he is reserving it for an upgrade

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

Like what? As for gpu, not needed right now. We will get one if he decides to game

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

EVGA Supernova NEX or G2 or Seasonic or many other else. Corsair is just overpriced

EVGA Supernova NEX or G2 or Seasonic or many other else. Corsair is just overpriced

Not the NEX.  Antec makes some good ones also.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

First, only buying off newegg or amazon. Please no mail-in rebates unless the item youre swapping out is same cost before rebate. I want avoid as many rebates as I can but im not against them

I just wanted to share a tidbit on mail-in rebates.

They're really not so bad. Years ago it used to be a shifty, risky thing to try to take advantage of. But I haven't had any issues in quite a while.  In fact, two weeks ago I mailed four envelopes to El Paso, TX.  Two for Asus, two for EVGA.  One of them was post-marked on the last day it was accepted.  They've all been approved. $80 total. 

The tracking system is also the same among them. Each company uses the same system for status reporting and they scan the documents you mail them. The images are available to view. 

Before these four, I had two others about a year and a half ago.  Same success.  

Main-ins aren't so bad. Just budget the "sticker" price of the part, and then when you get the rebate in the mail.. it's like your birthday! 

I just wanted to share a tidbit on mail-in rebates.

They're really not so bad. Years ago it used to be a shifty, risky thing to try to take advantage of. But I haven't had any issues in quite a while.  In fact, two weeks ago I mailed four envelopes to El Paso, TX.  Two for Asus, two for EVGA.  One of them was post-marked on the last day it was accepted.  They've all been approved. $80 total. 

The tracking system is also the same among them. Each company uses the same system for status reporting and they scan the documents you mail them. The images are available to view. 

Before these four, I had two others about a year and a half ago.  Same success.  

Main-ins aren't so bad. Just budget the "sticker" price of the part, and then when you get the rebate in the mail.. it's like your birthday! 

Nothing against rebates. Just like to avoid them when I can. And this isnt for me its for my friend that is very forgetful with that type of stuff. Pretty much if I dont send in the rebate he wont get it lol. So the fewer rebates the better :)

First, only buying off newegg or amazon. Please no mail-in rebates unless the item youre swapping out is same cost before rebate. I want avoid as many rebates as I can but im not

If he's going to be doing editing and potentially CAD work in the future you could always go with a 8320e, they're fairly cheap and should beat out an i5 for video editing work and CAD stuff.

And I guess you already have the case so, take off like 30 bucks

In my experience a mail in rebate has never actually worked

Threw in the 750ti in case of casual gaming

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P4hYjX

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P4hYjX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($125.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($63.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($36.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.33 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Rosewill HIVE 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $469.17

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-10 01:33 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

what about skylake?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($200.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus B150M-A D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($42.75 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($17.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $473.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-10 06:44 EDT-0400

The site has changed....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($200.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($55.05 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($30.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $541.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-10 07:12 EDT-0400

If you are doing Video Editing, the increased RAM will help you.