HP DL180 gen9 / HomeServer

Glubschi

Hey, I want to buy my a 19" Server and a 14U Server Rack.

I thinking at the HP DL180 gen9 to start.

What should run on the Server:

-Windows Server

-Plex Media Server

-TeamSpeak Server

-Minecraft Server

-Store my Backups form 3-4 PCs

- and some VM Linux Servers just to test some Linux stuff

Spec:

https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/hp-proliant-dl180-gen9-intel-xeon-e5-2603-v3-8gb-35-servers-3233043

So now my Question:

Can someone recommend the DL180 gen9 ?

Can I upgrade easy in the future?

Can I run WD Red HDD with SATA on a SAS Controller?

Any good 14U Racks ?

Should i Buy the DL360 ? or is it overkill for a HomeServer?

And overall what do you think?

for home use i REALLY recommend against going rack.

for the amount of money you spend on rack, you can get MONSTEROUSLY better hardware.

EDIT: toss in a rough budget, and i'll help you build a server.

I can get the HP for 1000.- and some mony for the rack would be about 1500.- without HDD

thx for your help

I can get the HP for 1000.- and some mony for the rack would be about 1500.- without HDD

thx for your help

a few quick forum tips: quote people if you want a reply, and following your own topics will give you notifications for them - button is up top right.

--

so, lets say roughly a $2500 budget sounds good? (without hard drives)

a few quick forum tips: quote people if you want a reply, and following your own topics will give you notifications for them - button is up top right.

--

so, lets say roughly a $2500 budget sounds good? (without hard drives)

Okay thanks, yeah sounds good

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NTRwsY

so, for $2500 (without drives) this is what you can do.

dual 8-core xeons, with nice big coolers on them so they're nice and quiet.

32GB ECC memory

500GB OS drive (decided to include this one)

i tossed in a GT610 since the processors dont have integrated graphics, but theres other brands (not nvidia neither amd) that make video cards for workstation/server use.

nice big, easy to work on case that wont break the bank, but wont shatter a mirror if you look at it either.

very good seasonic power supply with plenty of juice.

do you need this for the workload you described? no, not at all. but you can if you want.

i'll work on a more sensible build as well, thats more fit to your need, and wont break the bank nearly as hard.

(as for upgrading: theres a reason you can pick up old rack servers for $60 on auction sites: datacenters dont even bother tinkering with them, they toss them out the window and get the next generation, a desktop style server will upgrade in any way you want.)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bFMMkL

so, this is a cheaper ($1355) build, thats more so picked on what you'll be doing, than on what you can afford.

- i7 6700K: i'd drop in a skylake xeon, but they dont seem to be a thing yet, you'll like skylake's IPC, the 4GHz clock speed, and plenty of cores for what you'll be doing.

- same tower cooler as before, nice and quiet operation

- a motherboard with plenty of sata on-board, as well as raid support, so you dont have to bother with a controller

- 32GB DDR4 ram, because yolo, and minecraft memory leaks

- same SSD as before

- same case as before

- same PSU as before

as for how well it'll do your tasks:

- it'll run windows server all day err' day.

- as much as i hate plex media server, one thing i can say about it is that it runs -EVERYWHERE-

- teamspeak server runs on a potato, this thing could beat an entire field worth of potatos

- minecraft is the reason i specificly went with skylake: single core performance. currently theres nothing on the market that comes even close to skylake's single core performance.

- storing your backups.. well.. raid support is included on the board, but if you're adventurous i'd suggest looking into a better system than raid.

- as for tinkering with linux in VMs, you have plenty of free headroom on your cpu, and if your minecraft server eats up 32GB ram, i suggest you go shout at a dev.

with the cleared budget headroom i'd suggest looking into a beefy UPS, that supports sending a shutdown signal to your server if batteries are low.

Thanks for your builds. I have a "old" Corsair 900D case, 2x 840 EVO 250GB and some older GPUs i could use for the build.

I would like to have a dual CPU motherboard but just with 1 CPU for now.(upgrade when needed later)

So i switched some components (i live in Switzerland and can't buy all Components that you listed). Would that work too ?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JJDQJx