Using that OS-Windows 7+Ubuntu to Vista 64 bit Ultimate

Dabombinable

I was able to purchase a couple of unused OEM copies of Vista 64bi ultimate for $10 each yesterday so I've decided that its time to really get to know the OS since I've used XP and Windows 7 for so long. Pretty much I'll be talking about any difference that I notice, with some emphasis on networking as with Windows 7 and XP I can never set up a wireless adhoc network while with Vista I've seen them setup quickly, and browsing an FTP server (aka my original Xbox) over ethernet-which XP can easily do unlike Win 7 which is a PITA.

I'm typing this from my Windows 7 computer with:

• Core 2 Extreme QX6850
  • Asus P5Q Turbo
  • GTX 650ti 2GB (using included drivers)
  • 6GB DDR2 800MHz
  • 20GB Samsung Spinpoint 5400RPM IDE HDD (ATA mode 33)
  • 60GB Maxtor 7200RPM IDE HDD (ATA mode 33)
  • 2x250GB Samsung Spinpoint 5400RPM HDD in RAID 0 (ATA mode 133)

And my Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 computer has:

• i7 4790K (stock)
  • Asus Z97 Sabertooth MKII
  • GTX 970
  • 8GB DDR3 1333 (another 8GB kit as spare)
  • Corsair Force LS 60GB SSD
  • Western Digital Blue 1TB

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I had used Vista since it launched till Windows 7 came out.

Didn't notice too much of a difference honestly.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I was able to purchase a couple of unused OEM copies of Vista 64bi ultimate for $10 each yesterday so I've decided that its time to really get to know the OS since I've used XP and Windows 7 for so long. Pretty much I'll be talking about any difference that I notice, with some emphasis on networking as with Windows 7 and XP I can never set up a wireless adhoc network while with Vista I've seen them setup quickly, and browsing an FTP server (aka my original Xbox) over ethernet-which XP can easily do unlike Win 7 which is a PITA.

I'm typing this from my Windows 7 computer with:

• Core 2 Extreme QX6850
  • Asus P5Q Turbo
  • GTX 650ti 2GB (using included drivers)
  • 6GB DDR2 800MHz
  • 20GB Samsung Spinpoint 5400RPM IDE HDD (ATA mode 33)
  • 60GB Maxtor 7200RPM IDE HDD (ATA mode 33)
  • 2x250GB Samsung Spinpoint 5400RPM HDD in RAID 0 (ATA mode 133)

And my Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 computer has:

• i7 4790K (stock)
  • Asus Z97 Sabertooth MKII
  • GTX 970
  • 8GB DDR3 1333 (another 8GB kit as spare)
  • Corsair Force LS 60GB SSD
  • Western Digital Blue 1TB

finally someone with a computer that has linux on it, I thought no one gave a shit about it in this forum

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

finally someone with a computer that has linux on it, I thought no one gave a shit about it in this forum

It won't have Linux on it for much longer-I play around with OS a lot and so far it has been OK (using Nvidia's 355.06 drivers-I'm still surprised at what WINE can run without too many game breaking issues-albeit in XP SP3 32bit)

PMSL

I have Linux on a system here at home.

But I don't give a shit about that PC.

(actually, I don't know how to even use it)

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I have Linux on a system here at home.

But I don't give a shit about that PC.

(actually, I don't know how to even use it)

Its not that difficult, I've been using Windows since 3.1 and I've had no problems. Even my Grandmother was fine with it when I installed it on her computer as a test (she started out with punchcard computers BTW-so yeah.....) though program compatibility was an issue (compatibility with newer programs that is, all of her older XP ones ran just fine).

PMSL

Vista.....funny how i only have 98, 2000, XP, 7 keys.....no Vista for me.

Although might put vista on my 64 X2 as a secondary rig or something. 

>Going to ditch my FX 8320 for Skylake/Zen soon and put Windows 7 back on my 8320. 

Used Vista before and there wasn't a big difference between 7. 

Ok, I'm installing Vista now on the ex-Windows 7 computer and I've already noticed that the installer is a lot less buggy, and it pretty much looks the same.

PMSL

Ok, I'm installing Vista now on the ex-Windows 7 computer and I've already noticed that the installer is a lot less buggy, and it pretty much looks the same.

7 basically fixed all of the mistakes that Vista had. When the fixes and updates for Vista to have it fixed, 7 was on it's way.

It won't have Linux on it for much longer-I play around with OS a lot and so far it has been OK (using Nvidia's 355.06 drivers-I'm still surprised at what WINE can run without too many game breaking issues-albeit in XP SP3 32bit)

if drivers are causing a problem I found this AMAZING tutorial for drivers here: www.overclock.net/t/1506137/ubuntu-f-h-installation-for-ubuntu-gpu-cpu#user_nvidia and tbh I have been spending much more time on linux since I got that working so I can use gpu folding in the linux v7 client instead of having to rely on windows' shitty slow kernel. 

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

if drivers are causing a problem I found this AMAZING tutorial for drivers here: www.overclock.net/t/1506137/ubuntu-f-h-installation-for-ubuntu-gpu-cpu#user_nvidia and tbh I have been spending much more time on linux since I got that working so I can use gpu folding in the linux v7 client instead of having to rely on windows' shitty slow kernel. 

Drivers under Ubuntu are never a problem for me until I go to install it on my HP Pavilion DV6 3010AX (AMD-Ati laptop), its takes a lot of time and patience to get the graphics drivers working correctly.

PMSL

Vista is installed. I have noticed that just like Windows 7 Vista checks to see which HDD is set to boot first then installs the boot loader on it, so it boots up off the 20GB HDD with the 60GB HDD having all of the Windows files.

PMSL

Just went through the user setup process, its much nicer than that of Windows 7 allowing you to customize your profile icon and desktop during the actual set up process.

PMSL

I might join you in installing Vista. I just shrunk my system partition so I could make another for a 2nd OS install.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I might join you in installing Vista. I just shrunk my system partition so I could make another for a 2nd OS install.

I'm finding that on HDD at least it is a lot faster than Windows 7, I'm installing updates now but apart from the 'snap to screen' feature of Windows 7-I do not see why people continue to bag it.

PMSL

I'm finding that on HDD at least it is a lot faster than Windows 7, I'm installing updates now but apart from the 'snap to screen' feature of Windows 7-I do not see why people continue to bag it.

Agreed on all points.  Vista does require more maintenance than Win7 (it becomes bloated pretty quickly if you don't do regular cleanups and CCleaner runs), but boy is it fast !  

Seeing as your keys are Ultimate ones, don't forget to play around with dreamscene.  There still are plenty of "Dreams" available on various sites.

Agreed on all points.  Vista does require more maintenance than Win7 (it becomes bloated pretty quickly if you don't do regular cleanups and CCleaner runs), but boy is it fast !  

Seeing as your keys are Ultimate ones, don't forget to play around with dreamscene.  There still are plenty of "Dreams" available on various sites.

Yeah, after going from XP to 7 I pretty much didn't bother with my weekly cleanup+defrag. So it seems that I'll need to treat it like Windows ME (better than 98 as long as you almost constantly defragged it). As for dreamscenes, this website is the one I should go to? http://dreamscene.org/

Edit: The only problem with that website is that its nagging me to enable java in Chrome Linux.

Edit 2: Windows Vista is still checking for updates

PMSL

Yeah, after going from XP to 7 I pretty much didn't bother with my weekly cleanup+defrag. So it seems that I'll need to treat it like Windows ME (better than 98 as long as you almost constantly defragged it). As for dreamscenes, this website is the one I should go to? http://dreamscene.org/

I used to set CCleaner to do a regular cleaning run on startup, and that did everything for me including cookie cleanup etc.  Takes almost all the work out of it. 

Seeing as you are running from a HDD you'll still need to do the occasional defrag, although you can set it up to do weekly runs on its own too. 

Dreamscene.org is a good place to start indeed.  Wincustomize would be another good option

http://www.wincustomize.com/dream

I used to set CCleaner to do a regular cleaning run on startup, and that did everything for me including cookie cleanup etc.  Takes almost all the work out of it. 

Seeing as you are running from a HDD you'll still need to do the occasional defrag, although you can set it up to do weekly runs on its own too. 

Dreamscene.org is a good place to start indeed.  Wincustomize would be another good option

http://www.wincustomize.com/dream

I haven't been to the website in years. I'd completely forgotten about it.

PMSL

Edit 2: Windows Vista is still checking for updates

That's not a Vista problem, it's a Windows Update problem.  Win7 tends to have that kind of eternal "checking for updates" too just after you install SP1. 

Have dinner, take a shower, read a book, watch a movie, it'll get there eventually.

I haven't been to the website in years. I'd completely forgotten about it.

I had forgotten about it too.  It popped up when I searched for alternatives to dreamscene.org .  

That's the problem with using Linux, you stop bothering with customizing Windows and hence forget about the existence of all those sites.

That's not a Vista problem, it's a Windows Update problem.  Win7 tends to have that kind of eternal "checking for updates" too just after you install SP1. 

Have dinner, take a shower, read a book, watch a movie, it'll get there eventually.

I had forgotten about it too.  It popped up when I searched for alternatives to dreamscene.org .  

That's the problem with using Linux, you stop bothering with customizing Windows and hence forget about the existence of all those sites.

I think I pretty much just gave up on Windows as a whole after XP, and rebooting the computer seems to have solved the update problem. 213 updates to download now.

PMSL

Just wow. Windows Vista on my 60GB SSD (with the same tweaks that I applied under Windows 7) fully loaded within 10 seconds, including 3 update configurations and the initial virus scan. Windows 7 got rekt by XP on this SSD (which was running at SATA 1 when I had XP on it) and it just got rekt by Windows Vista.

PMSL

Vista SP2 is loading very fast for me as well, on a Samsung 850 evo 250GB partition. But I can't install drivers for my R9 280x. The latest ones AMD has for Vista are from 2013, and they just hang while trying to install, and the ones for Windows 7 have errors and crash while trying. But I read a guide about installing the Windows 7 drivers on Vista that I might try out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2335392/manually-installing-latest-amd-catalyst-drivers-windows-vista.html

@ : Not sure if it works when starting with a SP2 .iso, but once you're done with the updates, be sure to run Windows Component Cleaner.  That'll remove the backup files etc, making the updates permanent.  Reduces OS size.

Here's how to do that :

Open command prompt

enter "compcln" (without the quotation marks, of course)

Press Y when prompted.

Also, seeing as you are running a small SSD, I assume it's most likely an older one.  Here's a list of tweaks I do on Vista. 

I gathered these back when SSD lifespan was still an issue (around 2010-ish). 

1 ) Turn off system restore :

Right-click "my computer" and select "properties"
Select "system protection"
Select the drive and click the "Configure" button.
Select "turn off system protection" and confirm

2 ) Turn off Disk defragmenting

Open the start menu and go to All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter
push the "Configure schedule" button
de-select "Run on a schedule"
Push the "Ok" button, then the "Close" button

3 ) Disable hibernation

Open command prompt as admin
type "powercfg -h off" (without quotes) and press enter

4 ) Turn off Indexing

Open Control panel
select "Administrative tools"
double-click "Services"
Scroll down to "Windows Search" and right-click it
Select "properties"
Next to "Startup type", select "Disabled"

5 ) Turn off Superfetch

Open Control panel
double-click "Services"
Scroll down to "Superfetch" and right-click it
Select "properties"

6 ) Turn off Prefetch

Open the Start menu
in the search field, type "regedit" and hit "enter" key
Go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contol\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
Right-click "EnablePrefetcher" andd select "Modify"
Turn value to "0" (zero)

7 ) Reboot

-------

EDIT : Just to annoy those that say Vista is bloated, here's a screenshot from my netbook.

post-139790-0-86294700-1441470444.jpg

That's Vista SP2 using 8.8GB of disk space.  the actual Windows folder is 8.51GB.

Also note the RAM usage.  Yeah, very resource-hungry.

@ : Not sure if it works when starting with a SP2 .iso, but once you're done with the updates, be sure to run Windows Component Cleaner.  That'll remove the backup files etc, making the updates permanent.  Reduces OS size.

Here's how to do that :

Open command prompt

enter "compcln" (without the quotation marks, of course)

Press Y when prompted.

Also, seeing as you are running a small SSD, I assume it's most likely an older one.  Here's a list of tweaks I do on Vista. 

I gathered these back when SSD lifespan was still an issue (around 2010-ish). 

1 ) Turn off system restore :

Right-click "my computer" and select "properties"

Select "system protection"

Select the drive and click the "Configure" button.

Select "turn off system protection" and confirm

2 ) Turn off Disk defragmenting

Open the start menu and go to All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter

push the "Configure schedule" button

de-select "Run on a schedule"

Push the "Ok" button, then the "Close" button

3 ) Disable hibernation

Open command prompt as admin

type "powercfg -h off" (without quotes) and press enter

4 ) Turn off Indexing

Open Control panel

double-click "Services"

Scroll down to "Windows Search" and right-click it

Select "properties"

5 ) Turn off Superfetch

Open Control panel

double-click "Services"

Scroll down to "Superfetch" and right-click it

Select "properties"

6 ) Turn off Prefetch

Open the Start menu

in the search field, type "regedit" and hit "enter" key

Go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contol\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

Right-click "EnablePrefetcher" andd select "Modify"

Turn value to "0" (zero)

7 ) Reboot

Thanks, I just did these in my new Vista install.