Z170 and Kabylake Motherboard?

So i'm going to upgrade sometime soon in the future.

I'm interested in Intel's upcoming KabyLake that's supposed to launch in 2016.

What i want to know is if i get a Z170 motherboard right now, will KabyLake be an option as an upgrade in the future?

It seems KabyLake is just a refresh of Skylake like Devil's Canyon was for Haswell, but it also does NOT seem that way because Intel would just call it Skylake-Refresh.

I don't know, to be honest.

I just don't want it to be like buying a Z-87 motherboard and miss out on Broadwell because i bought the wrong motherboard. (Not that Broadwell was that impressive on the desktop platform, just an example)

Please and thank you!

"If you ain't first, you're last"

So i'm going to upgrade sometime soon in the future.

I'm interested in Intel's upcoming KabyLake that's supposed to launch in 2016.

What i want to know is if i get a Z170 motherboard right now, will KabyLake be an option as an upgrade in the future?

It seems KabyLake is just a refresh of Skylake like Devil's Canyon was for Haswell, but it also does NOT seem that way because Intel would just call it Skylake-Refresh.

I don't know, to be honest.

I just don't want it to be like buying a Z-87 motherboard and miss out on Broadwell because i bought the wrong motherboard. (Not that Broadwell was that impressive on the desktop platform, just an example)

Please and thank you!

No one can really answer that. Chances seem good that Kaby Lake will be compatible, but for all we know we could get a "Z175" refresh or something.

If you're planning on waiting for Kaby Lake, why do you need a Z170 board now? One year is way too soon to upgrade an Intel CPU. At the rate Intel improves their IPC, you'll be fine with Skylake for years.