Setting up a printer via network via laptop

Flashie

Well this is a topic that i dont see discussed enough: Printers. Nowadays there are special printers used for connecting up to the network, but unfortunately we're not about to go out and buy a new printer just for that. What we do however have is a normal un-networked printer, and a laptop thats basically always on. What i'd like to achieve by this is

• Being able to connect the printer up to the network via the laptop (if its possible)
  • Be able to print on the printer from a different location on a different PC in the house (on the network)
  • No use of any remote desktop applications

My scenario is that i'd like to print certain document types: that arnt installed on all the PC's of my house without having to transfer the entire document type and the document, or carrying the printer over to my PC just to print it the entire time. 

Is this possible?

Well this is a topic that i dont see discussed enough: Printers. Nowadays there are special printers used for connecting up to the network, but unfortunately we're not about to go out and buy a new printer just for that. What we do however have is a normal un-networked printer, and a laptop thats basically always on. What i'd like to achieve by this is

• Being able to connect the printer up to the network via the laptop (if its possible)
  • Be able to print on the printer from a different location on a different PC in the house (on the network)
  • No use of any remote desktop applications

My scenario is that i'd like to print certain document types: that arnt installed on all the PC's of my house without having to transfer the entire document type and the document, or carrying the printer over to my PC just to print it the entire time. 

Is this possible?

have you tried setting up a cups server?

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

have you tried setting up a cups server?

Is this only on Linux or is there a guide as to setting it up on windows? Theres basically a few files on this laptop that is used regularly through Windows OS, such as checking emails, statements, invoices and other documents saved. So there cant be a new OS put on (since i dont have the time to teach its owner the ways of a OS that isnt windows  :lol:).

Is this only on Linux or is there a guide as to setting it up on windows? Theres basically a few files on this laptop that is used regularly through Windows OS, such as checking emails, statements, invoices and other documents saved. So there cant be a new OS put on (since i dont have the time to teach its owner the ways of a OS that isnt windows  :lol:).

okay then. and I don't think that even with cups you could do it...anyway..I don't know. Good luck I guess

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

Anyone else know of a way to set it up?

• 3 months later...

What I did for my house was take a laptop that wasn't being used (had windows 7) and hooked up the printer via usb (only way) and set the printer to shareable. Then I put all the PCs to the same work-group and restarted them. I found the printer being shared on the network, downloaded the drivers, and bam I was printing to the usb only printer. What I am currently having problems with now is getting my MBA to being able to print to it.

If you are an all windows house this won't be a problem. You may have to tinker a little but I didn't have to do much at all. Be sure to set the laptop that will be connected to the printer (via usb) so that it won't go to sleep or hibernate. Let it stay on all day and night. Other wise you will have to (turn on if applicable), log in, and wait for it to receive the information that was shared.

I hope this helps. There is dozens of videos online on how to do this. Check out Microsoft how to videos. They can be a big help sometimes.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar