Old PSU

Muz

I'm buying a 380 soon, but as I have just found out my PSU is a piece of shit CoolerMaster copy from China. I have an old Antec 550w 80+ Bronze from 2011 or 2010, would that be that still be reliable? I don't have the budget to buy a 380 annnnd a new PSU.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Any of Antec's 550w Bronze psus should be good. 

Moved to Cases and Power Supplies.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Any of Antec's 550w Bronze psus should be good.

Moved to Cases and Power Supplies.

Thanks! Installing now, wish me luck.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

So I hooked it up, all ready for it to turn on and then I press the power button and it doesn't turn on..

So I hooked it up, all ready for it to turn on and then I press the power button and it doesn't turn on..

Did you have that issue with the older psu?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Did you have that issue with the older psu?

Nope, Im pretty sure my old pc died from a mobo problem

Nope, Im pretty sure my old pc died from a mobo problem

See if the computer boots with out the 380 installed.

`

See if the computer boots with out the 380 installed.

I don't have my 380 yet

I don't have my 380 yet

Ohhh, I though you meant you installed you're new card and now it won't boot. The powersupply youinalled doesn't work.

Make sure all of the connectors are pluged in all the way. This can cause it to not boot. If you have a multimeter layiong around, you can test the supply.

1. Remove psu from the pc

2. Short the green wire to on of the black wires on the 24 pin.

3. set multimeter to VDC range

4. Put black probe on one black wire.

5. Use red probe to check voltages.

the voltages should be this:

post-128699-0-24377900-1441193820.jpg

`

Ohhh, I though you meant you installed you're new card and now it won't boot. The powersupply youinalled doesn't work.

Make sure all of the connectors are pluged in all the way. This can cause it to not boot. If you have a multimeter layiong around, you can test the supply.

1. Remove psu from the pc

2. Short the green wire to on of the black wires on the 24 pin.

3. set multimeter to VDC range

4. Put black probe on one black wire.

5. Use red probe to check voltages.

the voltages should be this:

attachicon.gif24-pin.jpg

Thanks for trying to help but I'll try just get the money for a 500w PSU when I get my gpu.

Thanks for trying to help but I'll try just get the money for a 500w PSU when I get my gpu.

ok then, you're welcome.

`

I wouldn't use and old psu. Don't wanna risk it killing other components on the rig.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero