Google Hangouts now has its own website

TopWargamer

Source 1: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/17/9167771/google-hangouts-website-launches

Source 2: https://plus.google.com/+JordannaChord/posts/fggYXgnfu4K

Hangouts website: https://hangouts.google.com/

All I can say is this: Finally! Hangouts seems to be the latest Google service to get divorced from Google+, and thank God, because using Hangouts through Google+ was awful IMO. Now all you have to do is visit the new Hangouts website, and the main features of Hangouts (calling, voice calling, and messaging) are all front and center with large icons to click on. 

Again, to visit the new Google hangouts website, just go here: https://hangouts.google.com/

e76b3f58d8.jpg

COMIC SANS

skype online anyone?

(saying in a sarcastic voice for those of you who dont get the joke)

skype online anyone?

skype is bad tho

Now they need their own dedicated application instead of relying on chrome...

For desktop use? That would certainly be awesome. Now since there's an actual Hangouts website, I wouldn't surprised if somebody made an unofficial Hangouts application that's just a web wrapper. 

COMIC SANS

Now they need their own dedicated application instead of relying on chrome...

Won't be happening. Companies like Facebook, Microsoft and AOL scrapped their dedicated messaging programs years ago and have stayed online since.

Edit:

Facebook - messenger.com

WhatsApp - web.whatsapp.com (They didn't even bother with a desktop application)

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

skype online anyone?

You mean this. It's still in beta.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

skype online anyone?

I hate skype with a burning passion. When i press the bloody x in minimizes. If i press the X i want it to CLOSE!!!!! Screw skype. Also there are ads now too.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I hate skype with a burning passion. When i press the bloody x in minimizes. If i press the X i want it to CLOSE!!!!! Screw skype. Also there are ads now too.

you can change that in the settings btw

you can change that in the settings btw

I think its a stupid default im aware it can be changed. Also the shortcut for "press to talk" its press to mute. I want a shortcut that is press to talk not press to mute. NOT THE SAME THING MICROSOFT.

Also there are many things i hate about the UI and chat interface and how it connects to calls. My hate of skype is a passion.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

I think its a stupid default im aware it can be changed. Also the shortcut for "press to talk" its press to mute. I want a shortcut that is press to talk not press to mute. NOT THE SAME THING MICROSOFT.

Also there are many things i hate about the UI and chat interface and how it connects to calls. My hate of skype is a passion.

ikr press to mute

why the fuck.

ikr press to mute

why the fuck.

Ya its so ilogical press to mute and press to talk are two DIFFERENT things. 

Won't be happening. Companies like Facebook, Microsoft and AOL scrapped their dedicated messaging programs years ago and have stayed online since.

Edit:

Facebook - messenger.com

WhatsApp - web.whatsapp.com (They didn't even bother with a desktop application)

Actually AIM's dedicated application is still a thing and as for Microsoft, they have own skype so....what did you say about company scrapping the dedicated messaging program?

And Yes I am aware that Microsoft brought Skype but it is still their dedicated messaging applciation.

Actually AIM's dedicated application is still a thing and as for Microsoft, they have own skype so....what did you say about company scrapping the dedicated messaging program?

And Yes I am aware that Microsoft brought Skype but it is still their dedicated messaging applciation.

by Microsoft I'm specifically talking about Windows Live Messenger. Skype had a desktop application long before Microsoft even bought them. Interestingly it looks like Skype is working on some sort of web client anyway

You mean this. It's still in beta.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

sorta make sense since they just did a big update on the app

Its all about those volumetric clouds

FINALLY. Running Chrome in the background just so I could use the extension sucked.

Skype is cancer, but hangout needs a desktop app i dont like it in the browser like that.