Windows 10 stuck on "Preparing Upgrade"

TheArium
Go to solution Solved by shypin,

Like I said I haven't begun the install yet. I'm waiting to get to the screen where I tell it when I want to install...

so right now its checking for stuff

if you force quit right now it wont let you to start another instllation process unless you restart (i think)

nothing would break

Windows 10 is downloaded, I have accepted the license agreement and I am waiting to "Choose when I want to upgrade".

My issue is the screen is stuck on "Preparing Upgrade" and has been since I accepted the license agreement about and hour ago I believe. I haven't begun the actual installation yet.

On the picture below to the left it says "Preparing the installation". On the right it says "Preparing the upgrade".

Is this normal? If not, how to progress from here?

23j4phw.png

well using the windows update to install can be really slow

try this instead

http://microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The thing is I'm not installing yet. As a matter a fact I'm not going to do the actual upgrade today. Windows update initiated the download autonomously. The Windows 10 app thingy said 3 things would happen after I completed the download:

1. Wait for the device to get ready

2. Accept the license agreement.

3. Choose when to upgrade.

I'm stuck after #2.

The thing is I'm not installing yet. The Windows 10 app thingy said 3 things would happen after I completed the download:

1. Wait for the device to get ready

2. Accept the license agreement.

3. Choose when to upgrade.

I'm stuck after #2.

it might be checking for compatibility issues

took around 15 minutes for me

it might be checking for compatibility issues

took around 15 minutes for me

Damn... I've been at it for about an hour and a half now. What should I do? I don't even know how to shut it down.

Damn... I've been at it for about an hour and a half now. What should I do? I don't even know how to shut it down.

well you can click the x on top see if it lets you cancel (cancellation takes around 2 mintues)

and then try the link i sent earlier

well you can click the x on top see if it lets you cancel (cancellation takes around 2 mintues)

and then try the link i sent earlier

It would seem I am not allowed to cancel. Not within the actual windows update screen either. I could force the process to shut down but I fear that would wreck something.

It would seem I am not allowed to cancel. Not within the actual windows update screen either. I could force the process to shut down but I fear that would wreck something.

just run it background for like 1 more hour or so

then maybe force quit it

just run it background for like 1 more hour or so

then maybe force quit it

Is it to be expected that a force quit will have destructive consequences?

Is it to be expected that a force quit will have destructive consequences?

well i think you will have to restart

but i dont think at this stage its actually replacing anything (probably just checking stuff)

well i think you will have to restart

but i dont think at this stage its actually replacing anything (probably just checking stuff)

Like I said I haven't begun the install yet. I'm waiting to get to the screen where I tell it when I want to install...

if you force quit right now it wont let you to start another instllation process unless you restart (i think)

nothing would break

nothing would break

I force quit the process and rebooted the pc. It then showed me a message asking me if I want to do it now or later (step 3). I don't know what the problem was but it seems resolved now. Thank you for the help.  ^_^