How to tell if RAID array is failing?

skyler_mertz
Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,

Drivers are up to date. Im using a mushkin 240gb ssd and a Hyper X 240gb. Everything has been working fine up until this point. Im going to try a fresh install of windows 8.1 tomorrow. I've been wanting to upgrade up to win10 and finally got a key for my 8.1 so i'll see if that solves my issues.

It's usually not recommended to mix different SSDs in a RAID array. The different controllers in the SSDs will act differently. But yeah, a clean install seems good. If the issue comes back, you should either consider severing the array (One SSD = OS, other for games) or using same branded SSDs for the array.

so I got my SSD's setup in raid 0. I keep them backed up of course but I use them as my boot drive and keeping my games as well. Lately I have been having issues where windows will boot but will freeze within a minute after logging in and I have to reboot the pc several times before it becomes stable. Anyways, windows maintenance is asking me to run a health check but says the drives are okay. I figured I would ask the community and see what the consensus was. Thanks in advance.

I build PCs as a hobby. 

so I got my SSD's setup in raid 0. I keep them backed up of course but I use them as my boot drive and keeping my games as well. Lately I have been having issues where windows will boot but will freeze within a minute after logging in and I have to reboot the pc several times before it becomes stable. Anyways, windows maintenance is asking me to run a health check but says the drives are okay. I figured I would ask the community and see what the consensus was. Thanks in advance.

What are you using to run the array / what SSDs? Software RAID? Hardware RAID? You might have to use the manufacturer's software utility to scan and check the array. The way it's sounding though, your array isn't looking too good. How full is the array?

What are you using to run the array / what SSDs? Software RAID? Hardware RAID? You might have to use the manufacturer's software utility to scan and check the array. The way it's sounding though, your array isn't looking too good. How full is the array?

Im running RAID through the MSI Z97S Krait Mobo so im assuming its hardware RAID. I have only used 149gb of the 446 available. The array has only been up for maybe a month or so. 

I build PCs as a hobby. 

What two SSDs are you using? You're running software RAID. Hmm, I would guess the SSDs are starting to degrade or some kind of corruption is going on. You have all of the latest drivers installed for the motherboard right?

What two SSDs are you using? You're running software RAID. Hmm, I would guess the SSDs are starting to degrade or some kind of corruption is going on. You have all of the latest drivers installed for the motherboard right?

Drivers are up to date. Im using a mushkin 240gb ssd and a Hyper X 240gb. Everything has been working fine up until this point. Im going to try a fresh install of windows 8.1 tomorrow. I've been wanting to upgrade up to win10 and finally got a key for my 8.1 so i'll see if that solves my issues.

I build PCs as a hobby. 

It's usually not recommended to mix different SSDs in a RAID array. The different controllers in the SSDs will act differently. But yeah, a clean install seems good. If the issue comes back, you should either consider severing the array (One SSD = OS, other for games) or using same branded SSDs for the array.

Ended up wiping array to install windows 10 and opted for a raid 5 array instead. Things seem to be working fine for the time being. Thanks for the support.

I build PCs as a hobby.