980Ti: Gigabyte G1 vs Zotac Amp

Tricky5Alex

I´m starting to think that the Zotac 980 ti Amp is actually better than the G1. Why? Well first thing is the noise. If you check out the youtube video that i linked (1:20 - 2:00 lol) and do some googeling by yourself. You will come across complaints about how noisy the G1 is when the fans go over 60%. And G1 having 80-85mm (unsure) and the Amp having 90mm will let you push the to greater speeds without affecting the sound level as much.

The price is also a huge difference. And also depending on where you live. And the Amps 301mm length vs the 309 on the g1 dosen´t make that big of a difference. (i believe) So in the end i would go for the Amp as i´m not some kind of performance freak who want to listen to the G1,s fans.

So please tell me what you think and if you can, please do provide me with some kind of an overclocking,performance or temps article for respective card.

http://www.gigabyte.ph/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5472#ov

http://www.zotac.com/products/graphics-cards/geforce-900-series/gtx-980-ti/product/gtx-980-ti/detail/geforce-gtx-980-ti-amp-zt-90503-10p.html

The Amp Extreme has the highest factory OC of any card, if I am not mistaken.  Zotac is consistently the fastest while also being perceived as a junk brand.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

The Amp Extreme has the highest factory OC of any card, if I am not mistaken.  Zotac is consistently the fastest while also being perceived as a junk brand.

I think that it goes past the limit about how big of a cooler you really need. Same reason why you cant put a 1 kvm cooler on an age old graphics card and oc the shit out of it and hoping for it to be able to perform the same as one of todays card. It just dosen´t work. You just don´t need that big of a cooler if you don´t wanna risk breaking your card. 

Or am i out in the blue here?

Ok as nobody is really responding. Which one do you prefer?

Explain?

Both are crappy brands, id suggest Asus, MSI or EVGA, call me biased or fanboy, but thats how it is.

Honestly, any of the brands will be fine.  Zotac gets a lot of negative talk on the forums, but keep in mind the actual GPU itself is designed by Nvidia.  Zotac just put a custom cooler on it.  Even the premium cards with custom PCB still have to follow Nvidia's basic design.  There is only so much they can change.  Also, Nvidia is very selective about who can sell their cards, so I seriously doubt any one of the brands is that much worse than the rest.  

For some reason Zotac is willing to push their factory OC a little higher than most.  They still have to pass through stability validation.  Their custom cooling can handle the higher clock speeds.

If someone has a good explanation why Zotac is junk, I'd love to hear it.  I'm pretty sure they are fine.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I would wait to see reviews on the Asus 980 ti, the one made on their new fully automated production line.  It is supposed to be superior in many ways.  Could be very interesting.

PC Build

Desk Build

Both are crappy brands, id suggest Asus, MSI or EVGA, call me biased or fanboy, but thats how it is.

That's a bad an explanation as it gets. If you're buying with basing just on brands you'll end up disappointed a lot.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

To be honest, I don't know which one I'd pick. 

Maybe I'd pick the Classified from EVGA??

Zotac cards are fine, I have used their RMA service and it was just fine. EVGA is best when it comes to warranty, service, and upgradability with the step-up program.  MSI's service is just as good as Zotac when they dont throw a retail package of your RMA'd card on the porch with external box to protect it. I have heard AWFUL things about Asus service but I have never had to use it since their product just work and don't break (my experiences with mobo's and at least 6 different GPUs). Gigabyte cards are awesome but the ti variant apparently has horrible coil wine which leads me to believe they used cheap components unlike the 970 series which they were the best.  I never had to RMA one of their cards or motherboards either so thats a good thing.

My rankings for the ti line

EVGA

MSI

ASUS

Zotac

Gigabyte

I personally bought the MSI Gaming because of looks and dead silent fans (close to silent at 100%). I say buy what looks the best to you. All the cards will cool pretty close to one another but I would give the edge to the classy since I had two 980 classys and they never hit 70C in SLI.