Is it worth it?

Go to solution Solved by Sam Z Man,

I think 1 drive is enough. Then I don't have to worry about the power loss issues associated with software raid. And I think that the Red Pro is more reliable  than the Black, would you agree?

Every WD drive has amazing reliability if used in its proper application I would go with a blue or black.

Is this HDD worth it? I am planning a gaming/school build and I like the concept of this HDD but am not sure about the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145969

I am basically choosing between this and a 980 or a WD Black 4tb and a Titan X/980 SLI.

Also, should I go SLI or stick single card, I really like the single card solution because it would allow me to SLI Titans later, and simply that thought is appealing to me. This might also be used for 4k gaming later. I am split between 1440p and 4k.

Regardless, all of that later. Is this HDD worth it?

Is this HDD worth it? I am planning a gaming/school build and I like the concept of this HDD but am not sure about the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145969

I am basically choosing between this and a 980 or a WD Black 4tb and a Titan X/980 SLI.

Also, should I go SLI or stick single card, I really like the single card solution because it would allow me to SLI Titans later, and simply that thought is appealing to me. This might also be used for 4k gaming later. I am split between 1440p and 4k.

Regardless, all of that later. Is this HDD worth it?

nope nope nope nope nope nope. So not worth it under any circumstances.

I don't do signatures.

Regarding the GPUs though, if you ever plan on going 4k, I'd suggest the Titan X. Yeah it's not as powerful as SLI 980s, but if you're thinking of SLI titans, 4k, and are willing to drop $630 on a HDD already, just get it, and never have to worry about 4GB VRAM ever being an issue.

I don't do signatures.

that price

go for a SSD like the 850 Pro

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

nope nope nope nope nope nope. So not worth it under any circumstances.

that price

go for a SSD like the 850 Pro

I was going to purchase a 500gb 850 Evo along with it. 

And I think the Titan would also be a better option. I don't have to deal with SLI issues just yet. Would you guys suggest 4k even? Is 1440p bad at all?

stick to normal HDDs

Titan X and 1440P is more than enough

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

WTF is the hard drive good for.

You can save money if you go with a 295X2 it should handle 1440p like a champ.

The only reason I'm not going with the 295x2 is because it is a dual GPU solution. Also, there is the 390x coming out in the next month or so, along with the 980ti, so I am waiting on the video cards for now, although Titan X is still a likely candidate. I want to stay Single card.

And will say the WD Green series slow down gaming performance? That is the only reason I am worried about purchasing them...

stick to normal HDDs

Titan X and 1440P is more than enough

I was going to purchase a 500gb 850 Evo along with it. 

And I think the Titan would also be a better option. I don't have to deal with SLI issues just yet. Would you guys suggest 4k even? Is 1440p bad at all?

Well, if you are already getting an SSD. I'd just get 4TB HDDs for $250 or so. Massive waste of money to go with that helium one no matter what.

That monitor is amazing (look at Linus' review), but you may have some backlight bleed or dead pixels... and Acer's customer service isn't great. If you have dead pixels, just return it for a refund and don't deal with Acer. A titan X will be great for 1440p. 4K is still a possibility for you though, especially if you think you'll go with SLI titan Xs. 

I don't do signatures.

The only reason I'm not going with the 295x2 is because it is a dual GPU solution. Also, there is the 390x coming out in the next month or so, along with the 980ti, so I am waiting on the video cards for now, although Titan X is still a likely candidate. I want to stay Single card.

But it outperforms the titan when dual cards are supported especially at 1440p.

But yea wait until the new cards come out.

And will say the WD Green series slow down gaming performance? That is the only reason I am worried about purchasing them...

Green are good for long term storage like NAS

not a good idea for everyday use

grab the Blue or Reds

Sorry for being away so long, had to take care of my chickens. 

Green are good for long term storage like NAS

not a good idea for everyday use

grab the Blue or Reds

The only problem with Blues is that they do not have high capacity varieties.

That was a example

I recommend these http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=22-236-739

Are reds OK for everyday use? I heard they were slower and louder than the Blacks for the same price. I don't plan to leave my computer on 24/7.

Isn't raid zero for HDDs EXTREMELY insecure???

No it is not that bad it is no different then having them all themselves.

No it is not that bad it is no different then having them all themselves.

But if one HDD fails in a raid 0, both lose all of their data because its striped. On the other hand, if a drive fails without raid, only the data in that HDD is lost. And as far as I understand, SSDs are much more reliable than HDDs.

But if one HDD fails in a raid 0, both lose all of their data because its striped. On the other hand, if a drive fails without raid, only the data in that HDD is lost. And as far as I understand, SSDs are much more reliable than HDDs.

It was only if he needed  8 tb. I truely think he dosent.

Really i think he dosent need more than 4 tb and a good ssd.

This is why Raid 1 exists.

yes RAID 0 will fail and both drives will lose data

RAID 1 is mirroring so you get half the capacity but you can save data from the working 2nd drive