Windows 8.1 wont recognize my second HDD

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

ummm, i get the option of making a simple volume? is that formatting correctly?

thats a step that comes first i believe

EDIT: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/94624-how-to-format-initialize-a-hdd-larger-then-2tb/

Hey guys and girls,

I was just wondering if anybody would be able to help me get my second HDD to show up in windows 8.1.

I read online that you have to allocate it a disk letter and path and when i went in to do that i must of done something wrong and now windows disk management shows my HDD as being online but unallocated. and when i go into the drop down menu to select a new path name and letter for my drive the option to do so is gone... any ideas???

Here is a screenshot for you all to hopefully help me out :)

Cheers in advance :)

post-28703-0-23313400-1432559215_thumb.p

Is the disk showing up in the BIOS? If not then you may not have connected it properly, or given it power

If you want my attention, quote my post or I will not see it. I ignore builds that do not use PCPartPicker.

If I have solved/answered your question, please press "mark solved" to make it easier for the rest of the community find the answer

you are in the right place, you just need to format it first, then you can assign it a drive letter of choice.

you are in the right place, you just need to format it first, then you can assign it a drive letter of choice.

oh ok, how do i format it and place the drive letter from this screen?? And it definitely shows up in the bios or it wouldn't show up in disk management. its all plugged in and working just don't know how to set it up :(

oh ok, how do i format it and place the drive letter from this screen?? And it definitely shows up in the bios or it wouldn't show up in disk management. its all plugged in and working just don't know how to set it up :(

pretty sure you just right click the unallocated space and click format.

pretty sure you just right click the unallocated space and click format.

ummm, i get the option of making a simple volume? is that formatting correctly?

Thank you so much for all your help really means a lot that you'd take time out of your day to sit down and respond to me a few times to get me up and going. Thank you so much kind stranger :)

it'd be weird to be on a forum and ignore everyone, right ;)