Custom Fan Wiring + Sleeving help

Hey all,

Not new to watercooling, but I'm soon going to endeavor on a refresh on my last build from a 900D into a CaseLabs Mercury S8 (Side note: I'll have some spare parts left over-- some radiators, possibly a D5 pump, bunch of soft tubing fittings-- let me know if anyone wants to buy any of this stuff-- I'd also sell the 900D but it's so big & heavy it'd be a fortune to ship).

Anyway, as part of this new build, I want to clean up my radiator fan wiring by combining the 3 non-PMW fan wires into one, sleeved cable that then plugs into an Aquaero 5. I have a few questions about this if anyone can shed any light:

1. What is the best way to combine the different cables of each fan? Should I solder them? Or is twisting together and electrical tape enough? What's the best place to combine the cables so that I can still fit paracord sleeving over it?

2. I read that I should only be sending the RPM signal of one of the fans, so that means I should just tape off the unused RPM wires of the other fans?

3. Aside from a pin removal kit, what other tools should I expect to use for this?

4. I'm a little unclear about the metal pin at the end of the wire that goes into the plastic connector-- what is the actual name of this? Are these easy enough to remove and re-apply? Should I buy new ones? Are there any tools that make this any easier?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the noobish questions. Haven't really taken on an electrical type of project with my watercooled builds yet.

sent you a PM about the pump/rads

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Hey all,

Not new to watercooling, but I'm soon going to endeavor on a refresh on my last build from a 900D into a CaseLabs Mercury S8 (Side note: I'll have some spare parts left over-- some radiators, possibly a D5 pump, bunch of soft tubing fittings-- let me know if anyone wants to buy any of this stuff-- I'd also sell the 900D but it's so big & heavy it'd be a fortune to ship).

Anyway, as part of this new build, I want to clean up my radiator fan wiring by combining the 3 non-PMW fan wires into one, sleeved cable that then plugs into an Aquaero 5. I have a few questions about this if anyone can shed any light:

1. What is the best way to combine the different cables of each fan? Should I solder them? Or is twisting together and electrical tape enough? What's the best place to combine the cables so that I can still fit paracord sleeving over it?

2. I read that I should only be sending the RPM signal of one of the fans, so that means I should just tape off the unused RPM wires of the other fans?

3. Aside from a pin removal kit, what other tools should I expect to use for this?

4. I'm a little unclear about the metal pin at the end of the wire that goes into the plastic connector-- what is the actual name of this? Are these easy enough to remove and re-apply? Should I buy new ones? Are there any tools that make this any easier?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the noobish questions. Haven't really taken on an electrical type of project with my watercooled builds yet.

so for #1

you want to just sleeve each cable separately or combine them all in one sleeve

#2 if you useing fan splitters most high quility ones for pwm only have 3 pins on one end of the Y the other will have all 4 pins . if its 3 pin fan connector/cable only one rpm signal is needed any more screws it up most people use mymodtoys pcb boards since you can mod them to your needs

#3 needle noise pliers and most of the other tools needed a solder iron probably will be needed

#4 no clue on that one

probly youtube will have some guides on how to do it step by step

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS