So I've been wanting to make my own table for a while [Send Help]

inactive account

I've been wanting to make my own Table for a while now because the one I currently have is just to small and doesn't have enough space.

And the one of furniture stores are either I don't like, or Like but the pricing is just retarded.

First thing off is that I'm 16, and I've taken a Construction course last year in high school and took one again this year (finished last semester), so I know how to use power tools safely and the safety precautions.

I will be attempting to make this in some sort of 3D layout if someone can point me to a program that can do this that'd be nice

and also I do plan on keeping this post up to date

NOW ONTO THE TABLE PLANS.

I've designed an L shaped table that I will have my Computer on as well as the space for when I need to work.

So here are the current plans I made.

Now if I knew how to spoiler I'd spoiler this image but.

1st part

eGRk8CT.jpg

2nd part

BpzEk8l.jpg

or for both http://imgur.com/eGRk8CT,BpzEk8l#0

Now a few explanations.

The reason why I made it into A1, A2, A3 is because sometime in the future if I decide to move my desk to another corner, I can easily take these pieces off if I wanted to adjust the corners.

If you don't know what I mean by that

Right now A2 and A3 Are on the right side of A1. I'm going to make it in a way where I can DETACH A2 and A3 and move it to the left side. and I can get rid of A3 of I wanted.

The 3 X's on the top of A1 are cable management holes. I do plan on adding plugs for those and that is not so hard.

And for the second picture that shows A1 and A3 standing up from the side view that line going across is just a shelf type thing

Now I have a few questions and I do want peoples opinion on this table plan.

1. For those of you who have a made your own table from scratch, When you get the wood are you getting it raw? or like refined stuff that has already been finished, but you can use it to your needs.

by raw I mean like you haven't planed the sides, rough edges everywhere and what not, like what you see in hardware stores that sell wood and what not.

I did have more questions but I've forgot.

I'll ask them when I remember

Opinions and tips are much appreciated

tl;dr making a "modular" table and I had a few questions and forgot most of them.

[ spoiler ] content [ /spoiler ] (Remove the spaces that are between the [ spoiler ] and the [ /spoiler ]

Final product:

I spoiled it for you didn't I...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

[ spoiler ] content [ /spoiler ] (Remove the spaces that are between the [ spoiler ] and the [ /spoiler ]

Final product:

I spoiled it for you didn't I...

hue hue. thanks didn't know this forum used bb code

Looks like a good start, I'm assuming you are mounting the desks to the walls in the room themselves.

As for material and what to use it depends on what you like and how thick the desk surface to be I personally like to have thick surfaces to be able to support things without sag. For most desk using some finished plywood and apply a laminate surface to it will make it very durable and last for years compared to a finished wood surface.

Looks like a good start, I'm assuming you are mounting the desks to the walls in the room themselves.

As for material and what to use it depends on what you like and how thick the desk surface to be I personally like to have thick surfaces to be able to support things without sag. For most desk using some finished plywood and apply a laminate surface to it will make it very durable and last for years compared to a finished wood surface.

It's going to sit in the corner of my room. not  mounted to any walls since my house is really old and fragile. 

I did have the idea to finish it with an oil based stain and then varnish it with water based finish

but like oil based stains are flamable and im not taking chances.

One of my other questions was, for the people who have made their own tables, Do you use premium boards or just trim the stuff they give you in-store

It's going to sit in the corner of my room. not  mounted to any walls since my house is really old and fragile. 

I did have the idea to finish it with an oil based stain and then varnish it with water based finish

but like oil based stains are flamable and im not taking chances.

Oil based and water based finishes are the same once cured for most cases unless you out a hot kettle or pot on it like in a kitchen it will scorch. If you are making it in 3 parts then I suggest to have the 2 longer sections to have legs the corner section to either have it's own set of legs or corner support with metal brackets tying all the sections together so the tables don't have gaps between them.

For solid wood I suggest getting butcher block or using some 3/4" finish grade plywood with bracing and trimming the edges of the table. If you are also making your own legs for the table and not getting off the shelf ones be sure to properly brace the legs and a tip is to get adjustable feet just incase the floor is not level it will prevent it from wobbling.

Oil based and water based finishes are the same once cured for most cases unless you out a hot kettle or pot on it like in a kitchen it will scorch. If you are making it in 3 parts then I suggest to have the 2 longer sections to have legs the corner section to either have it's own set of legs or corner support with metal brackets tying all the sections together so the tables don't have gaps between them.

For solid wood I suggest getting butcher block or using some 3/4" finish grade plywood with bracing and trimming the edges of the table. If you are also making your own legs for the table and not getting off the shelf ones be sure to properly brace the legs and a tip is to get adjustable feet just incase the floor is not level it will prevent it from wobbling.

I'm considering switching some parts of it it to legs rather than having it one whole covered piece