Highend Gaming/Work Rig

UPDATE! 10/05/2015

So, due to some payment troubles with the supplier I had contact with... I decided to build the machine myself and spend all them cash MUAHAHAHAHAHA! Actually to my surprise... the components separately are A LOT cheaper and I mean a lot cheaper (I almost made a the retarded mistake of buying a pre-built mod). Thank god my credit card refused to pay them :D

So I have updated my parts list with each price and the total price (approx prices).

UPDATE 12/05/2015

I bought the first piece to make this build! I decided to lay down the $$$ and went for the Asus Rampage V Extreme/u3.1 as it was on a special sale cheaper than the non u3.1 model. I'd think a X99 MB is a better investment for the technology to come.

Also, I am now troubled with the GPU. While I was pretty confident about the Inno3D GTX980, I hear that in a few month that GTX980ti and AMD R9 390x will be making it's way to the shelves. Now I don't know if it's the right time to purchase a GTX980 (unless the prices are insane for the new models). I would assume they would be released much later in Japan too and importing from elsewhere would prove to be much more expensive with shipping+taxes.

What do you guys think of this?

Updated 14/05/2015

So this is my first post here in LTT and first I'd like to thank Linus for all his guides and reviews on Youtube. They really helped me out a lot.

I don't really have a tight budget, but I'm looking under $4000 (Technically 400000yen since I'm living in Japan). Just a note, pc parts are generally more expensive here. I am planning to order a custom pc from a supplier here in Japan, it's based on a pre-built custom pc with my own touch.

Here are the parts.

Case - NZXT Phantom 820 Black ¥32000

CPU - 【Devil's Canyon】Intel Core i7-4790K(4 Core/8 Thread 4GHz 8MB TDP88W HD4600) [unlocked] ¥41000

Liquid Cooling - Help me decide! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/366372-which-aio-liquid-cooler-please-help-me-decide/

M/B - ASUS Maximus VII HERO ¥25790 OR Asus Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 ¥62274 - Purchased

Memory - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (for dem sexy led) or Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB - ¥18000

GPU - Inno3D GeForce GTX980 iChill X4 AIR BOSS Ultra ¥79980

SSD - Samsung SSD 850 EVO Series 500GB ¥23967

HDD - ¥~9000

PSU - Corsair RM1000 ¥20000

M.2 SSD - Samsung M.2 SSD 128GB + Adaptor ¥24000 - Purchased

CPU Grease - Artic Silver 5 ¥1300 - Purchased

Wireless Adaptor - ¥~1000 - No longer needed as the Rampage V has a built-in wifi.

Total price -

VII Hero Build - ¥275000 - Without RAM

Rampage V Build - ¥329000

The prices are approximate as I will have to purchase the parts from different retailers (obviously I will find the cheapest price). For some strange reason, Japan isn't stocking up on the Crucial Tracer rams which I really want. Specially if I go with the Rampage V MB... 8 slots *gargle*. My question is, is the X99 Rampage V board worth it?

M.2 PCIe SSD

Right, so having some money to spend I want to also install a M.2 SSD. Namely this model - SAMSUNG 128GB M.2 2280 PCI-Express2.0 x4接続 SSD MZHPU128HCGM-00004. I would want to use this with the M.2 PCIe x4 Adaptor with Heatsink as I heard the M.2 SSD gets high temps. I also want to use this as the OS boot drive and for other programs. Would this be suitable with the VII HERO MB?

I will continue to expand and upgrade this kit in the following years, so not everything has to be perfect. But if there are any changes or any mistakes I made with this build, please let me know!

Build your own pc it's much better and cheaper.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Build your own pc it's much better and cheaper.

I want to pay in monthly installments with my credit card. Sure it costs more, but I don't like $$$$$$ flooding out from my wallet in a huge wave. Can't do that buying all the parts separately, unless I can find a supplier who can supply everything I need, then sure :)

I want to pay in monthly installments with my credit card. Sure it costs more, but I don't like $$$$$$ flooding out from my wallet in a huge wave. Can't do that buying all the parts separately, unless I can find a supplier who can supply everything I need, then sure :)

Ok, this is the best reason I have ever seen for buying a pre built, just make sure that the company allows you to open the side of the case without ruining the warranty of it.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

instead of jumping into M.2 already you might want to consider SSDs in Raid 0 - this will yield almost the same performance as your choice of M.2, in case of write speed it will most probably even outperform it.

instead of jumping into M.2 already you might want to consider SSDs in Raid 0 - this will yield almost the same performance as your choice of M.2, in case of write speed it will most probably even outperform it.

I have to disagree. SSD in RAID 0 are much faster at high queue depths and larger sequential i/o. When it comes to 4K i/o at lower queue depths, single ssd typically outperform RAID 0. 4K i/o is likely the most common i/o in real world situations. If one factors in the added band width of 4-lane PCIe and the added fragility of RAID 0 arrays, it is no contest IMO.

@xXRaineXx, the high temps reported for many M.2 ssd have not really been explored. It has been suggested by some, and I agree that a big part of the problem is the location and orientation of the M.2 card. In many motherboards it sits between PCIe slots, horizontal and just a few mm above the motherboard. Air flow is thus quite restricted. The adapter card with heat sink seems like a good idea.

An 850W psu should be more than enough for a dual GTX 980 system with cpu & gpu overclocking. The Superflower built EVGA G2 850W model is often the optimal choice. Other excellent models that are generally more expensive are the Corsair AX-860, AX-860i, HX-850, HX-850i; Seasonic SS-850KM3 and SS-860XP2; Superflower Leadex Gold 850W and Leadex Platinum 850W.

If you want an opinion on a particular psu, provide the model name and number. Someone can probably comment.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I have to disagree. SSD in RAID 0 are much faster at high queue depths and larger sequential i/o. When it comes to 4K i/o at lower queue depths, single ssd typically outperform RAID 0. 4K i/o is likely the most common i/o in real world situations. If one factors in the added band width of 4-lane PCIe and the added fragility of RAID 0 arrays, it is no contest IMO.

Guess I'll have to do some more in depth research then, as I'm building a new system after the summer and the HyperX Predator M.2 has an affordable price tag.

Guess I'll have to do some more in depth research then, as I'm building a new system after the summer and the HyperX Predator M.2 has an affordable price tag.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html is a good article that provides hard data on RAID 0 and SATA III ssd.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-XP941-Plextor-PX-G256-M6e-M-2-Qualification-575/ provides some good data on M.2 ssd in 2 & 4 lane interfaces.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html is a good article that provides hard data on RAID 0 and SATA III ssd.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Samsung-XP941-Plextor-PX-G256-M6e-M-2-Qualification-575/ provides some good data on M.2 ssd in 2 & 4 lane interfaces.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out - my new build won't change my gaming experience much but I expect a good leap when doing 3D work.

An 850W psu should be more than enough for a dual GTX 980 system with cpu & gpu overclocking. The Superflower built EVGA G2 850W model is often the optimal choice. Other excellent models that are generally more expensive are the Corsair AX-860, AX-860i, HX-850, HX-850i; Seasonic SS-850KM3 and SS-860XP2; Superflower Leadex Gold 850W and Leadex Platinum 850W.

If you want an opinion on a particular psu, provide the model name and number. Someone can probably comment.

The supplier has these to offer in the 850w range.

Cooler Master V850

SILVER STONE STRIDER GOLD S SST-ST85F-GS

The silverstone model comes with the set, but I heard some bad reviews about it. Whereas the cooler master is $30 cheaper.

Which of these are better?

The supplier has these to offer in the 850w range.

Cooler Master V850

SILVER STONE STRIDER GOLD S SST-ST85F-GS

The silverstone model comes with the set, but I heard some bad reviews about it. Whereas the cooler master is $30 cheaper.

Which of these are better?

The CM V850 is built by Seasonic and based on their KM3 platform. According to http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=350 it is an excellent unit.

A review of the Strider Gold S 850 from the same source, http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=365, had some issues with the test unit's performance.

I would pick the V850. Especially since it is less expensive.

UPDATED! Please read the OP for updated details.

May i ask what monitor you will be using with that sick system?

Because... you know... the monitor is the one part that actually matters the most, but is frequently overlooked. People make sick systems and then use them through some small, crappy 60hz TN screen.

May i ask what monitor you will be using with that sick system?

Because... you know... the monitor is the one part that actually matters the most, but is frequently overlooked. People make sick systems and then use them through some small, crappy 60hz TN screen.

I intend to buy either a slick 1440P or 4k monitor that is suitable.

I intend to buy either a slick 1440P or 4k monitor that is suitable.

If you have the money, i would recommend: Acer xr341ck - 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 75hz, gsync

Something like that would definitely make the system shine, imo.

Its out in a month or two, but you can see it on youtube already.

Personally i am waiting for the acer z35 - 34inch, VA, 2560x1080, 144hz, gsync

gsync is the most important thing to get - you should make sure you only get a gsync monitor, regardless what you choose

Obviously only applies if you get and stick with NVidia

the guy said he wants to build with an nvidia card...

either way - monitor is always prio - that should be bought as good as possible, video card should be picked afterwards

monitor is always prio - that should be bought as good as possible, video card should be picked afterwards

I agree to that and thanks for throwing the acer in there, I'll have to look that one up... so far I'm tending to the Samsung 21:9 model (even if it hasn't got g- or freeSync) - not a big gamer anyway.