Any Computer Hardware Engineers Here?

misthosg

Any computer hardware engineers on here? If so what do you do? I am interested in computer hardware engineering so I am just looking for some more information from real engineers.

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier 

I am not one, but a relative is.

If you want to do processors, complex circuitry, etc., you do programming... lots of programming. Everything is transferred into a emulator building a simulator of the chip, then you ode test programs, to run on the emulator . Once everything is work as expected, it gets to production stages of the early chips. Now it is about working on how to solve production issues, and doing test systems to test the circuitry or processor you built. Once everything is passed, then it goes to the driver team, and other team to finalize the product for release.

Of course, the above is multiple large teams. Especially if you work on a processor, you;'l be working on a part of the processor, not the whole thing, unless it is relatively simple (CPU or GPU aren't). So you can work anywhere in there.

Once you are experienced, you take other position as R&D on new architecture designs to implement in future products.

It is kinda like this Nvidia video. However:

-> No transparent board (because they suck in real life at reading what was written) :)

-> The tests are usually a "PASS", "FAIL" text showing, or some value, or some color square or something, all depending on what you are building, and not 3D effects like on Nvidia is showing

-> You don't work in the production of processors, those are technicians, but if you are interested in working at chip production facilities, then you will be working on how solve production problems, and how to push the boundaries with smaller nanometers transistors, and invent new technologies like stacked nands.

-> There is no hand production.

-> You don't work on the look of the product (this is a different field)

I have always wondered how much maths computer engineers have to do...

Im aerospace. No matter what engineer you become (even biomed) be prepared to do LOTS of programming.  also, you need to LOVE doing math, you dont necessarily have to be the best at it, just enjoy it.  

STEAM NAME: JewishBacon GPU  Sapphire dual x R9 280x OC edition CPU core i7 4770k stock speed COOLER H100i  CASE Fractal R4 Window Black  MOBO MSI gd-65 gaming Storage 1TB WD Blue drive, 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120 GB OCZ SSD, 64 GB WD Blue ssd  RAM 12 GB @ 1600 Ghz kingston RAM  MiscNZXT HUE, disk read/write, 2x 21 inch 1920x1080 monitors