worth upgrading?

Hello guys. I am thinking about upgrading my FX8320 and have been looking at the Devil's canyon i7 and i am wondering if i should rather wait for Skylake to be released. i am aware that it might take up to or over a year before they start shipping units. So basically, are there any rumors on the performance gain over the Haswell chips? (The use will of course be gaming and workstation related)

And is there any reason to start upgrading before DX12(Windows10) is released?

Also want to upgrade for a new cpu-cooler, motherboard and ram, and don't really want to start spending money on that before i just as well am spending money on a new CPU.

EDIT: Also feel like my 970 is somewhat bottlenecked by the fx8320, or is that just me being stupid?

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

typical 5% improvement, etc. Basically, the only reason to swap away from your FX is if you play games that require the superior single-threaded performance to your FX. I only recommend changing components if they're not performing well enough on tasks you're actually doing. If that's the case, then upgrade now instead of waiting.

you mention a new Cpu cooler, are you on stock cooler right now? because a simple CM 212 evo cost 35-40 bucks would help you overclock your FX.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

Waiting is never a bad idea, it all depends on what you need. If you're satisfied with your current performance there's no reason to upgrade. In general if you need to ask others if it's time to upgrade, it's not time.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

you mention a new Cpu cooler, are you on stock cooler right now? because a simple CM 212 evo cost 35-40 bucks would help you overclock your FX.

Running on a Noctua NH-D14 so it's far from a bad CPU cooler. but i've had it for so many years and it's so big. Really want to try something new with a easy CPU watercooling loop. as it's better looking, less chunky and so that i can actually see something else than my cpu cooler trough my sidepanel and just maybe buy ram with an actual heatsink. :)

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Waiting is never a bad idea, it all depends on what you need. If you're satisfied with your current performance there's no reason to upgrade. In general if you need to ask others if it's time to upgrade, it's not time.

I see your point :) think i will let it sit for a few months and see what i will do. Thanks for the input  ;)

System

Spoiler

Skylake is just another increment in their tick/tock cycle. So I wouldn't hold your hand on your ass for nothing per-say and get a Haswell-R.

In case if youre running your 8320 on stock speeds or under 4 GHz then theres no wonder you feel bottlenecked, if you want decent performance out AMD these you gotta OC son.