NVIDIA SHIELD TABLET - Thoughts?

Joegeddon

I own a 32GB LTE NVIDIA SHIELD TABLET running Android 5.0.1 that cost $400 and has expandable storage.

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on the device? Is it the next big thing? A gimmick? Or is it a pretty cool idea to do Android Gaming properly. (Bearing in mind you can play games like Portal, Half life 2 and GTA: San Andreas on this thing and it isn't some cut down piece of crap being passed off as a real game.)

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

I want one.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

I own a 32GB LTE NVIDIA SHIELD TABLET running Android 5.0.1 that cost $400 and has expandable storage.

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on the device? Is it the next big thing? A gimmick? Or is it a pretty cool idea to do Android Gaming properly.

Well to answer your questions, I'd personally get one with LTE so that I can stream literally anywhere in the world that has a signal. (Obviously you wouldn't bring it camping or out in the desert.)

It's genius because of the Tegra chip, it's about as close as you can get to PC performance, on the go, for when you're not directly streaming from your PC.

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Well to answer your questions, I'd personally get one with LTE so that I can stream literally anywhere in the world that has a signal. (Obviously you wouldn't bring it camping or out in the desert.)

It's genius because of the Tegra chip, it's about as close as you can get to PC performance, on the go, for when you're not directly streaming from your PC.

I'm just asking y'all if you think it is a gimmick or a step in the right direction.

With the exception of Half Life 2. I've played all the games mention and they run like a boss. Does get a tad hot but you won't be holding onto it anyway, You'll be using a kickstand and the most amazing controller I've ever seen. Period, controller is awesome.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on the device? Is it the next big thing? A gimmick? Or is it a pretty cool idea to do Android Gaming properly. (Bearing in mind you can play games like Portal, Half life 2 and GTA: San Andreas on this thing and it isn't some cut down piece of crap being passed off as a real game.)

Its a  great tablet but I prefer the shield portable

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Its a  great tablet but I prefer the shield portable

I kind of agree but I wanted a more productive machine as well. Much better battery life on the portable too.

Heyyo,

The Tablet is a pretty good idea... but if you've watched the video that Linus made about it? He was kinda sad that it's not the most portable gaming device unlike the Shield Portable which works great anywhere you use it. Maybe if there was an attachment you could put on the controller to fix the tablet to it... but then again, I bet that would get a little sore on the wrists due to the weight of the tablet lol, unless that is the tablet would be placed above the controller to try and level out the centre of balance... I dunno, shield tablet is awesome but could have been a little more portable for gaming with controllers... maybe something closer to the design of the Razer Edge Gaming Tablet with the gamepads flanking the tablet.

I myself have thought about the Shield Tablet, but when I game at home I game on my PC with my big monitor attached to it. Cloud gaming via Grid streaming service is definitely really appealing though.. to have the ability to stream when not at the house? That's a pretty darn genius idea.

The Shield console though? That one sadly feels a little more gimmicky since the Grid streaming service will work on any NVIDIA Shield device... so it's kind of like saying "I could buy an NVIDIA Shield Android TV console... or I could buy an NVIDIA Shield Tablet that is portable and does the same stuff." I think the only difference between the two is the 4K movies.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case