Undervolting i3-4160

Ok so I'm undervolting an i3 4160 and so far i achieved -0.1v on the vcore with no bsod crash so far. About a stability test I'm kinda afraid to push this cpu with prime95 with the stock cooler since the temps reach around 80 degrees which is too high for a cpu. In normal idle state it sits between 30-40 degrees and max 65 under load in gaming and stuff like that.

Has anyone else here undervolted these cpus ? If so share your experience and i would like to know how far can i undervolt this chip with no underclocking.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

If you want to check temps without pushing your CPU too hard, I recommend Intel XTU

It's very realistic and doesn't do anything crazy :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Why are you undervolting it in the first place? It's not like it uses much power anyway

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Why are you undervolting it in the first place? It's not like it uses much power anyway

Not to save power, but to reduce temperatures. Voltage is probably the biggest heat factor.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Not to save power, but to reduce temperatures. Voltage is probably the biggest heat factor.

Exactly why I'm doing this in the first place and that also means the fans will spin in less RPM which will result in an even quieter system.

The only downside to it is stability but when you sort that out the benefits are great.

I'm noticing almost no difference in idle temps but in load temps it's 5-8 degrees.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Bruh its an i3 it would produce like no heat, get a 212 or something 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Is the cooler mounted correctly and the thermal paste good? Because not even my i5 4440 reached those temps with its stock cooler (Prime 95 was the exception). In fact, its been at full load for the last week 24/7 and its staying around the 700C mark.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

• 2 weeks later...

The cooler is mounted correctly and the thermal paste is the stock that comes with the cooler , anyway it's been a while since then and the cpu hit max 67 degrees under full load with -0.1v undervolted. I also forgot to mention that the fan has a custom fan curve so these temps are normal.

Earlier i was tweaking it a little and the first bsod i got was -0.15v. Now running at -0.125v. Running some stress tests with Intel XTU , let's see how it is in real world usage.