Build Idea #2 // UPDATED

PLEASE VIEW THIS TOPIC FIRST AND READ IT:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334824-prospective-build-and-old-pc-price-thoughts/

Ok, so after I compiled the information I recieved from that topic, here is the new PC build I have come up with. Let me know what you think and feel free to send me other build ideas:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£173.00 @ Amazon UK) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£99.98 @ Aria PC) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£109.16 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (£115.46 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£59.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£101.78 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (£457.16 @ Aria PC) 

Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£81.54 @ Aria PC) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£97.86 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (32/64-bit) 

Total: £1295.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 22:09 BST+0100

I think your prices are all wrong on your post

Other than that it seems great. Downgrade to an i5 if you arent doing any video rendering or editing

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Other than that it seems great. Downgrade to an i5 if you arent doing any video rendering or editing

I think all the prices are shifted down one.

Did you have i5 4690k in mind?

Also, to everyone: Thoughts on the fx 9590? It was my original plan to buy one, but many have said it isn't worth it, but others say it is.

• The i7 is overkill. An i5 would be a more appropriate choice for a gaming and general use system.

Sixteen GB of memory is much more than needed. Eight would make more sense. There are less expensive and equally good memory kits.

An H100i GT, H110i GT, or Kraken X61 would be better choices than the H105.

A Samsung 850 EVO is less expensive and you will not be able to tell the difference in performance. You might even consider a less expensive brand and get a higher capacity unit. A 480GB Arc 100 for example is about £15 more than the 250GB 850 Pro.

Spending all that money on quality parts and then going cheap with the psu is silly. Get a good quality psu Corsair HX or AX, any Seasonic or XFX, Superflower gold, or EVGA G2.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Did you have i5 4690k in mind?

Also, to everyone: Thoughts on the fx 9590? It was my original plan to buy one, but many have said it isn't worth it, but others say it is.

As an AMD fanboy it has interested me. In most games it will have little difference from the intel stuff. And If I wanted to go that route I would go with a lower speed 8 core and just overclock it. Jays Two Cents video on it tells it pretty good. 

• The i7 is overkill. An i5 would be a more appropriate choice for a gaming and general use system.
  • Sixteen GB of memory is much more than needed. Eight would make more sense. There are less expensive and equally good memory kits.
  • An H100i GT, H110i GT, or Kraken X61 would be better choices than the H105.
  • A Samsung 850 EVO is less expensive and you will not be able to tell the difference in performance. You might even consider a less expensive brand and get a higher capacity unit. A 480GB Arc 100 for example is about £15 more than the 250GB 850 Pro.
  • Spending all that money on quality parts and then going cheap with the psu is silly. Get a good quality psu Corsair HX or AX, any Seasonic or XFX, Superflower gold, or EVGA G2.

I agree. For gaming I would go with 16gbs of RAM over and i7 vs i5. And the x61 cooler performs great and it would match the case too. so all in all goodness. I personally have dealt with mostly EVGA power supplies (about a dozen) and they all are great. 

Thanks for all the help guys. Really insightful and helpful! I'll be back in the morning, but perhaps one of you can compile a PC park picker list for me?

Regarding video rendering, I occasionally do make videos but not that often.

As an AMD fanboy it has interested me. In most games it will have little difference from the intel stuff. And If I wanted to go that route I would go with a lower speed 8 core and just overclock it. Jays Two Cents video on it tells it pretty good. 

People say it already runs quite hot, which is what is putting me off it. If I over clock it, won't it just make it worse?

People say it already runs quite hot, which is what is putting me off it. If I over clock it, won't it just make it worse?

I mean get a slower chip and overclock it. Which will make it run about as hot as the 9590. 

the 9590 is basically an overclocked 8320 oe 8350.  So it draws ALOT of power and makes more heat than the other ones.

The point of getting a slower chip then overclocking is to save money and put it towards other things

Updated with suggestions.

Prices are shifted down 1

I mean get a slower chip and overclock it. Which will make it run about as hot as the 9590. 

the 9590 is basically an overclocked 8320 oe 8350.  So it draws ALOT of power and makes more heat than the other ones.

The point of getting a slower chip then overclocking is to save money and put it towards other things

Wasn't planning on OC originally due to temperature increases / risks, and I don't know how xD. I know I can easily find out but I'm still not sure

Updated with suggestions.

Prices are shifted down 1

Wasn't planning on OC originally due to temperature increases / risks, and I don't know how xD. I know I can easily find out but I'm still not sure

If you aren't planning on overclocking then I would say lose the AIO water cooler as the only reason you would need it would be for overclocking. You will be just fine with something like a hyper 212, or any similarly size heatsink if you go the intel route.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the 9590 actually has to be overclocked and tweaked most of the time in order to hit its advertised clock speeds, so I wouldn't recommend getting that. the 9590 is pretty bleh, basically just an overclocked 8350.

If you aren't gonna overclock you can go with a Xeon processor instead. The Xeon E3-1231V3 is an 1150 socket quad-core with hyperthreading for the same price as an i5.

CPUAMD FX 8320 @4.4 GHz 1.212 vcore Motherboard - Asus M5A99X R2.0 RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB 1866 GPU - Asus Gtx 970 Case - Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green Storage - 120 GB Samsung 840 Series, 1TB WD Black,  240 GB Corsair Force LX PSU - EVGA 750W G2 Cooling - Noctua NH-D14 Keyboard Corsair K70  Mouse - Logitech G502

If you aren't planning on overclocking then I would say lose the AIO water cooler as the only reason you would need it would be for overclocking. You will be just fine with something like a hyper 212, or any similarly size heatsink if you go the intel route.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the 9590 actually has to be overclocked and tweaked most of the time in order to hit its advertised clock speeds, so I wouldn't recommend getting that. the 9590 is pretty bleh, basically just an overclocked 8350.

If you aren't gonna overclock you can go with a Xeon processor instead. The Xeon E3-1231V3 is an 1150 socket quad-core with hyperthreading for the same price as an i5.

People suggested this cooler:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Good enough for my build? 

Don't know anything 'bout the Xeon processors, but I am now thinking about getting an i7, even if it might be overkill. Which one do you guys suggest? I was thinking to 4930k or the 4790K. Which is better for price etc.

A GTX 980 is a bit OTT at 1080p especially if it is a 60Hz Monitor. I would personally go with a GTX 970 or wait for the AMD 300 series if you are not in a rush (Due around June)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£263.00 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£91.31 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£121.97 @ Dabs) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£100.01 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£74.09 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  (£274.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£90.11 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1153.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 22:27 BST+0100

Or with an i5 if you are purely gaming.

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£100.01 @ More Computers) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  (£274.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£90.11 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £997.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 22:29 BST+0100

People suggested this cooler:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Good enough for my build? 

Don't know anything 'bout the Xeon processors, but I am now thinking about getting an i7, even if it might be overkill. Which one do you guys suggest? I was thinking to 4930k or the 4790K. Which is better for price etc.

You won't see any real improvement going i7 over i5 in gaming. But if you really want to get an i7 then probably just go 4790k I think. The 4930k is socket 2011 which will of course require a 2011 motherboard, which will be at least $200 usd. Only benefit I could maybe see in getting an i7 would be the "future proofing" excuse, but there really isn't any way to effectively "future proof" a system.

Long story short, if you are working with a budget got i5 and move the money that you would have spent on an i7 to other components in the system that will provide a tangible benefit. Or save it :P

CPUAMD FX 8320 @4.4 GHz 1.212 vcore Motherboard - Asus M5A99X R2.0 RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB 1866 GPU - Asus Gtx 970 Case - Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green Storage - 120 GB Samsung 840 Series, 1TB WD Black,  240 GB Corsair Force LX PSU - EVGA 750W G2 Cooling - Noctua NH-D14 Keyboard Corsair K70  Mouse - Logitech G502

A GTX 980 is a bit OTT at 1080p especially if it is a 60Hz Monitor. I would personally go with a GTX 970 or wait for the AMD 300 series if you are not in a rush (Due around June)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£263.00 @ Amazon UK) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£91.31 @ Aria PC) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£56.34 @ Aria PC) 

Total: £1153.35

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 22:27 BST+0100

Or with an i5 if you are purely gaming.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£56.34 @ Aria PC) 

Total: £997.03

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-30 22:29 BST+0100

Only real reason why I don't really want a 970 is the fact that it had the problem when it uses more than 3.5 gig of VRAM. Also, I have a windforce 970 in my current PC which is brand new and never been used. Perhaps I should use that instead?

I am probably gonna wait for the AMD 300 series and the 980 Ti either way then make a decision. I plan to build it in the next coming months, but just getting an estimate on prices now

Only real reason why I don't really want a 970 is the fact that it had the problem when it uses more than 3.5 gig of VRAM. Also, I have a windforce 970 in my current PC which is brand new and never been used. Perhaps I should use that instead?

I am probably gonna wait for the AMD 300 series and the 980 Ti either way then make a decision. I plan to build it in the next coming months, but just getting an estimate on prices now

I think that the odd GTX 970 memory organization has be blown way out of proportion. Benchmarks of the card, even at higher resolutions and quality consistently rank the card where one would expect. Suggesting that one would have to work at creating conditions under which they card showed any unacceptable behavior.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.