Encryption Question

Hello, I have a rooted LG G3 that has been flashed to Cyanogenmod 12. I am looking for secure, encrypted ways to message my friends via text message and I am also looking for a secure browser along with a secure email. I have seen, downloaded, and set up a secure messaging app called TextSecure from a company called Whisper systems. I have set up my passphrase and all of my messages are encrypted, locally on my device. However I have questions regarding both the app and the company who created it.

1. Why is it that after I have set up my passphrase that I can still see, near the send arrow in the message bar, that the lock is unlocked? Does that mean that my messages aren't secure or does that mean that the people that I'm messaging aren't secure?

2. Is anyone familiar with Whisper Systems? What is there record as far as having a secure messaging? Are there any known or likely weak points or backdoors for the app?

As I stated earlier I am also looking for a secure email and web browser, though I have the extensions to force HTTPS when I'm browsing I need to ensure that I am secure as possible on my mobile device.

As far as email is concerned I am currently using... Gmail (gasp)! I would like to switch from it as soon as possible. Please leave suggestions and ask questions. Thanks for all your help! 

why so secure?

scared of the nsa?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

why so secure?

scared of the nsa?

Very much so... 

I doubt there is any msging app the nsa can't get into

TOR is about the only thing they have admitted to as having a problem with...and if they want it bad enough...they can break that to

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile