Need help with GPU painting

JuicyLopez

I have an EVGA GTX 970 and I want to spray paint the plastic shroud on the cooler. I have no idea what paint I should use thouth. Should I use high heat paint or will it be fine with normal spray paint? I want to paint it red. Thanks in advance for the help!

I have an EVGA GTX 970 and I want to spray paint the plastic shroud on the cooler. I have no idea what paint I should use thouth. Should I use high heat paint or will it be fine with normal spray paint? I want to paint it red. Thanks in advance for the help!

Normal spray paint is fine no need for high temp paint, but be sure to sand and prime before painting.

However plasti-dip is the best solution since it requires no sanding or prep. all it needs is to be cleaned before spraying, and as Oshino Shinobu said it's a removable rubber coating. Plasti-dip is temp resistant to 100C so you should have no issues at all, just be sure to remove the shroud and clean well before spraying.

I just tried to use plastidip to paint part of my computer case and it did not turn out as well as I would have liked because I messed up a few things. So just as a heads up if you want it to turn out well, make sure the area that you're painting/drying in is clean as that stuff picks up things in the air very easily and make sure that the shroud, plastidip, and room are not too cold otherwise the plastidip might not work as well as it should. 

When I did one a while ago I used car paint, this was from a large automotive chain in the uk "halfords" turned out really well & that was a metallic black

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

I'd suggest an acrylic paint+primer, just make sure you sand the plastic down first with some very fine sandpaper (at least 320). Practice on some spare plastic pieces until you are comfortable with your finish.

PlastiDip is a decent option as it is easily removed, but it usually doesn't result in as smooth a finish.

Normal spray paint is fine no need for high temp paint, but be sure to sand and prime before painting.

However plasti-dip is the best solution since it requires no sanding or prep. all it needs is to be cleaned before spraying, and as Oshino Shinobu said it's a removable rubber coating. Plasti-dip is temp resistant to 100C so you should have no issues at all, just be sure to remove the shroud and clean well before spraying.

I'll probably get plastidip. Thanks!

I just tried to use plastidip to paint part of my computer case and it did not turn out as well as I would have liked because I messed up a few things. So just as a heads up if you want it to turn out well, make sure the area that you're painting/drying in is clean as that stuff picks up things in the air very easily and make sure that the shroud, plastidip, and room are not too cold otherwise the plastidip might not work as well as it should.

I'll definitely keep all that in mind. Thanks.

I highly suggest Plasti-Dip. If you didn't watch it before, Linus had a video where he used Plasti-Dip to paint RAM and part of a few GPU's. May be worth checking out so you can get an idea on how it works.