Question about start-up options and coil whine

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,

2nd:

On core 0x17 WU's my 970 runs like a champ (~250k ppd and whisper quiet) but on core 0x15 WU's I only get around 40k ppd and also coil whine like crazy! It's loud even through the non-window Define R5 (thats why I cant have it run at night when its crunching a core15 WU  :( ).

I already read the difference in ppd is normal for different cores but why does the gpu have coil whine on one WU and not on another? I gues it just has something to do with the way it's programmed and how it works with the gpu.. it just makes me wish even more to get a core17 WU :P

(by the way.. I found out the whine changes pitch when I play with the gpu core clock but that doesn't make it much more bearable)

Anyways, thanks for your help guys!

Happens with me as well:

1. First, the PPD difference. The reason why you get such high PPD on core 17 is because they have the Quick Return Bonus. As the name implies, if you return the WU fast enough, they award you with bonus points; the faster, the better. On core 15, however, there's no QRB, so you end up only getting the base credit of each WU.
  2. As to why the coil whine... check GPU usage. At least here, the usage is always fluctuating under 90% on core 17, but on core 15, it's just binned at 99% all day long. That's the point of stress. One thing that I realized is that the pitch of the whine would get higher if I went ahead and OC the card. In fact, it could sustain a high enough OC so that the pitch would start to leave the audible frequency. As a result, it would "seem" quieter to me. You can try doing that as well. Alternatively, you could underclock the card so much that it would have the same effect, although that would decrease performance.

Hello folding friends :)

1st Question:

I selected "start manually" when I first installewd f@h because I wasn't sure whether to have it run all the time.

Now I'd like to change it to start with windows (after boot) but can't find such setting (neither in FAHControl nor under "run->msconfig").

Do I have to reinstall f@h for this?

2nd:

On core 0x17 WU's my 970 runs like a champ (~250k ppd and whisper quiet) but on core 0x15 WU's I only get around 40k ppd and also coil whine like crazy! It's loud even through the non-window Define R5 (thats why I cant have it run at night when its crunching a core15 WU  :( ).

I already read the difference in ppd is normal for different cores but why does the gpu have coil whine on one WU and not on another? I gues it just has something to do with the way it's programmed and how it works with the gpu.. it just makes me wish even more to get a core17 WU :P

(by the way.. I found out the whine changes pitch when I play with the gpu core clock but that doesn't make it much more bearable)

Intel Core i7 4790K || G.Skill 16GB DDR3 || MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || Fractal Design Define R5 || Asus Gryphon Z97 || EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 || Crucial MX100 256GB || Noctua NH-D15

Well.. it doesn't seem like you actually asked a question on the second one.. so yeah :P

try to play with the voltage/power limit aswell. It might get better eventually, you are 

very likely experiencing higher power usage and more strain from the core 15 compared

to 17.

As for the first one, i'm not sure how or where you have installed folding.. but it is in

msconfig for me, and i would assume most people just like other programs. Otherwise

re-installing it would be an option, but shouldn't be necessary. I have never experienced

this myself, but whaler advises against running folding at startup as it can potentially

cause issues.

2nd:

Happens with me as well:

1. First, the PPD difference. The reason why you get such high PPD on core 17 is because they have the Quick Return Bonus. As the name implies, if you return the WU fast enough, they award you with bonus points; the faster, the better. On core 15, however, there's no QRB, so you end up only getting the base credit of each WU.
  2. As to why the coil whine... check GPU usage. At least here, the usage is always fluctuating under 90% on core 17, but on core 15, it's just binned at 99% all day long. That's the point of stress. One thing that I realized is that the pitch of the whine would get higher if I went ahead and OC the card. In fact, it could sustain a high enough OC so that the pitch would start to leave the audible frequency. As a result, it would "seem" quieter to me. You can try doing that as well. Alternatively, you could underclock the card so much that it would have the same effect, although that would decrease performance.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Thanks for the replys. I'll check power draw of my system with the different WUs and try if changing the gpu powerlimit affects the coil whine. 

Intel Core i7 4790K || G.Skill 16GB DDR3 || MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || Fractal Design Define R5 || Asus Gryphon Z97 || EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 || Crucial MX100 256GB || Noctua NH-D15

Setting the powerlimit to 50% makes the coil whine disappear :) and it folds only a bit slower! Thanks

Overclocking made the pitch higher but it was always audible unfortunately.