RAM Questions

no nfl ram song pls

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01925534

my motherboard

I want to put 4 GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport in my PC, but have a few questions.

1. Since the highest supported speed on my board is lower than that of the RAM, what will happen? Will it work properly, or just underclock itself and work fine?

2. Can I use 1x4GB in the board, or do I have to go with 2x2GB because of the supported DIMM types?

3. What will happen if I put 8 GB in the board?

Thanks, and in case ya didn't see it, no NFL RAM song pls.

get the cheapest single 4GB stick you can find, for you it will not make any difference what so ever...the RAM will most likely not be able to run at it's rated speed (which you have to activate in the bios, and your board probably don't even support RAM overclocking) so it will most likely run at 1333mhz anyways.

And by getting a single 4GB stick you leave the door open if you want to add another 4GB stick down the road.

EDIT: whoops it looks like your board only support 2GB dimms...so it might not work with a 4GB stick...i'm not sure...it might work...i don,t know.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

get the cheapest single 4GB stick you can find, for you it will not make any difference what so ever...

The Ballistix Sport IS the cheapest.

The Ballistix Sport IS the cheapest.

previous post edited, please re-read...sorry.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

previous post edited, please re-read...sorry.

I did, and I want a single 4 GB stick for the reason of cost.

I currently have no RAM for the board, currently using different board until I get the RAM, n stuff

ye you guessed it I am on DDR2.

I did, and I want a single 4 GB stick for the reason of cost.

I currently have no RAM for the board, currently using different board until I get the RAM, n stuff

ye you guessed it I am on DDR2.

what CPU are you running on that think?

I dont think that it will even work ddr2 4gb sticks are rare... im guessing its ddr3

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I dont think that it will even work ddr2 4gb sticks are rare... im guessing its ddr3

yes it's ddr3...i think he meant that right now he is using DDR2 on another motherboard while he awaiting for us to tell him what to order so he can move on to this motherboard...

yes it's ddr3...i think he meant that right now he is using DDR2 on another motherboard while he awaiting for us to tell him what to order so he can move on to this motherboard...

well FYI you cant use ddr3 on a ddr2 motherboard

also FYI I have the http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01635734and I have it 4x2gb mode

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

well FYI you cant use ddr3 on a ddr2 motherboard

also FYI I have the http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01635734and I have it 4x2gb mode

some older motherboards supports both...but most of them don't...sandy bridge and up only support DDR3

i know for a fact that many socket 775 boards supported both DDR2 and DDR3 i owned one of these boards back then.

some older motherboards supports both...but most of them don't...sandy bridge and up only support DDR3

i know for a fact that many socket 775 boards supported both DDR2 and DDR3 i owned one of these boards back then.

intresting the violet board only supports ddr2 though

intresting the violet board only supports ddr2 though

yes, but it supports larger capacity sticks, here:

• Supports 4GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs

here are the specs for his motherboard:
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

ok wait no no no...his board supports both...and it will support 2x4GB sticks if needed OP...you can go with a single 4GB stick of DDR3, it will work absolutely fine...my bad.

yes, but it supports larger capacity sticks, here:

• Supports 4GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs

here are the specs for his motherboard:
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs

ddr3 is supported

I have to test my old 2gb sticks on my old board now..

ddr3 is supported

I have to test my old 2gb sticks on my old board now..

not on the ''violet'' board though...only on OP's board.

not on the ''violet'' board though...only on OP's board.

aww

what CPU are you running on that think?

Sorry, was busy. Athlon 64 X2 4800+ on current system, new board will have Athlon II X2 240 until I get money to buy something better.

And so, to be clear, a single 4 GB stick will work just fine?

And I don't think I need more than 4 GB RAM, I just play games n stuff.

Maybe I can get my brother to loan me his 8 GB stick to see if it boots, so I can also be certain about more than 4 GB just in case I would need to upgrade.

toodles.

Sorry, was busy. Athlon 64 X2 4800+ on current system, new board will have Athlon II X2 240 until I get money to buy something better.

And so, to be clear, a single 4 GB stick will work just fine?

And I don't think I need more than 4 GB RAM, I just play games n stuff.

Maybe I can get my brother to loan me his 8 GB stick to see if it boots, so I can also be certain about more than 4 GB just in case I would need to upgrade.

toodles.

yes you can try with your brother's stick if you want to be 100% sure but the 2GB size limitation on your board is in case you want to use DDR2 RAM sticks...which your board also support...but with DDR3 you can go with dual 8GB sticks if you feel like it.

And about this:

This is a OS limitation, they just want you to know if that if you install 2x4GB but you run windows 32 bits you will only be able to use 4GB...which is correct...but any windows 64bits will see all your ram and use it.

yes you can try with your brother's stick if you want to be 100% sure but the 2GB size limitation on your board is in case you want to use DDR2 RAM sticks...which your board also support...but with DDR3 you can go with dual 8GB sticks if you feel like it.

And about this:

This is a OS limitation, they just want you to know if that if you install 2x4GB but you run windows 32 bits you will only be able to use 4GB...which is correct...but any windows 64bits will see all your ram and use it.

That is what I originally thought, it is just that usually they tell you the limit, because of course, every motherboard has some limit.