high budget CPU

guys help in clearing my idea

for a high budget pc, which cpu would be better??

the pc will be mostly used for streaming and high-eng gaming

intel i7 4790k vs intel i7 5930k

gpus are 2 gtx 980s sli in both..
rest is more or less identical

give your views about the cpu choice

please..

thanks in advance

For gaming, 4790k. For rendering (when time matters) 5820k/5930k.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

For gaming, 4790k. For rendering (when time matters) 5820k/5930k.

Wouldn't i5 4960K be better for gaming ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Wouldn't i5 4960K be better for gaming ??

Well, Yes/no. A 4690k will yield more or less the same performance in most games now. However, with the consoles having 8 cores and DX12 equalizing the load across all the cores, hyperthreading will probably become useful -- and if he can afford an i7 without sacrificng anything else, then it's only $100~ more. 

Plus a lot of people end up going with a 4690k+240mm AIO (myself included) (totaling around $330~) and reach 4.2-4.5ghz. Alternatively, you can go with a 4790k and a hyper 212 and get the same 4.2-4.5ghz but with hyper threading for $20~ more. 

Plus the extra cores from hyperthreading will help with streaming. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5930k is better for streaming gaming. More cores/threads is always nice if you stream or record

Well, Yes/no. A 4690k will yield more or less the same performance in most games now. However, with the consoles having 8 cores and DX12 equalizing the load across all the cores, hyperthreading will probably become useful -- and if he can afford an i7 without sacrificng anything else, then it's only $100~ more. 

Consoles ???? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

5930k is better for streaming gaming. More cores/threads is always nice if you stream or record

A 4790k is still plenty for that. 

Consoles ???? 

And yes. Games on consoles are optimized for 8-cores, as such newer cpu games (especially the less optimized ones) do take advantage of more cores (Watch Dogs, Dragon Age Inquisition, BF4, etc...)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

And yes? 

WHy would they having 8 cores matter ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Games on consoles are optimized for 8-cores, as such newer cpu games (especially the less optimized ones) do take advantage of more cores (Watch Dogs, Dragon Age Inquisition, BF4, etc...)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

of course it is but i'm pretty sure he doesn't want to know what is just enough

Games on consoles are optimized for 8-cores, as such newer cpu games (especially the less optimized ones) do take advantage of more cores (Watch Dogs, Dragon Age Inquisition, BF4, etc...)

New games are horribly unpotimized like watch dogs, there ports were horrible.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It doesn't matter that much. DX12 helps spread out load across cores which benefits with CPUs that have more cores that are individually weak (AMD FX). With fewer cores that are individually strong (Intel) it honestly gets cancelled out. You won't need more then an i5 for gaming and that's that. However for streaming an i7 will help quite a bit.

"Rawr XD"

of course it is but i'm pretty sure he doesn't want to know what is just enough

It's more than "just enough" 

And do you expect that to change? Especially when DX12 will start to leverage cores more effectively. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

There are some well-optimized titles that are multi-threaded. Like DA:I and COD:AW

"Rawr XD"

2f55cbd3dc.png

83022b431a.jpg

There are some well-optimized titles that are multi-threaded. Like DA:I and COD:AW

But console have nothing to do with that, I don't know much about game developing but I don't just because the port on the console uses 8 core at it best, the port on the PC would use 8 cores very efficiently.

And do you expect that to change? Especially when DX12 will start to leverage cores more effectively. 

I know and console have nothing to do with that, see above I may be wrong.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

It doesn't matter that much. DX12 helps spread out load across cores which benefits with CPUs that have more cores that are individually weak (AMD FX). With fewer cores that are individually strong (Intel) it honestly gets cancelled out. You won't need more then an i5 for gaming and that's that. However for streaming an i7 will help quite a bit.

I know that my point is consoles having 8 cores doesn't make that massive effect on the PC port.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

2f55cbd3dc.png

My comment still stands. Especially when a 4790k will yield the same performance in gaming as a 5930k (assuming the 5930k can even reach the overclock that a 4790k can). 

But console have nothing to do with that, I don't know much about game developing but I don't just because the port on the console uses 8 core at it best, the port on the PC would use 8 cores very efficiently.

I know and console have nothing to do with that, see above I may be wrong.

It has nothing to directly do with that, other than it's easier to re-optimize a game using a similar scheme -- i.e. the game was optimized for 8 cores, so it's easier to maintain that 8-core optimization. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

My comment still stands. Especially when a 4790k will yield the same performance in gaming as a 5930k (assuming the 5930k can even reach the overclock that a 4790k can). 

It has nothing to directly do with that, other than it's easier to re-optimize a game using a similar scheme -- i.e. the game was optimized for 8 cores, so it's easier to maintain that 8-core optimization. 

Then why are those games crap ???? still don't think it does, @LukaP what is your take on this ?? I would value your opinion. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

so guys for streaming wouldnt more cores and more threads give better performance than faster lesser cores???

i dont know... would like to know

I know that my point is consoles having 8 cores doesn't make that massive effect on the PC port.

Consoles don't even allocate all 8 cores to games. Most can only use 6 at maximum. Only a very select few on Xbox One can use 7.

"Rawr XD"

Consoles don't even allocate all 8 cores to games. Most can only use 6 at maximum. Only a very select few on Xbox One can use 7.

So this even helps my point, I know the PS4 allocates one core for recording I guess but I'm not sure

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

So this even helps my point, I know the PS4 allocates one core for recording I guess but I'm not sure

I don't even understand your point in the first place.

"Rawr XD"

I don't even understand your point in the first place.

I don't think Console having 8 cores affects the PC port, DX12 will help, but console having 8 cores won't.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I don't think Console having 8 cores affects the PC port, DX12 will help, but console having 8 cores won't.

It does affect the PC port to a certain extent, but it's more of how the developer codes the PC port.

"Rawr XD"