Not the right permissions?

Mr. Nub
Go to solution Solved by Mr. Nub,

Thanks for the advice. After trying the cmd prompt to gain ownership i realized i had full access to the folders but not the individual files themselves. Thanks for the help

One of my family's computers recently died and we need to get the files off of the old HDD. It is a very old drive and still used the IDE connector. We bought a new computer and an adapter so that the files could be transferred over to the new system via USB but when I tried to access the files I was denied and told I didn't have the right permissions. I gave the account of the new computer (windows 8 btw) ownership of the my documents folder and subfolders so i could access my documents and all the subfolders but I can't open or copy any of the actual files. It says i still do not have the right permissions even though I've checked and every file is owned by the new account. Microsoft's website tells me to do pretty much the same thing. Any ideas? Thanks

One of my family's computers recently died and we need to get the files off of the old HDD. It is a very old drive and still used the IDE connector. We bought a new computer and an adapter so that the files could be transferred over to the new system via USB but when I tried to access the files I was denied and told I didn't have the right permissions. I gave the account of the new computer (windows 8 btw) ownership of the my documents folder and subfolders so i could access my documents and all the subfolders but I can't open or copy any of the actual files. It says i still do not have the right permissions even though I've checked and every file is owned by the new account. Microsoft's website tells me to do pretty much the same thing. Any ideas? Thanks

have you tried the CMD method of take ownership of the drives?

after you have done it

go to the security tab and select Full control to gain access to the files

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Thanks for the advice. After trying the cmd prompt to gain ownership i realized i had full access to the folders but not the individual files themselves. Thanks for the help