Looking to get a bedroom speaker system going

Kyl3

First post on LTT in quite a while, how you guys goin?

So I noticed my Corsair SP2200s were on their last leg so I decided to salvage the subwoofer for my car stereo (worked out really nice). Anyway, so i'm left without a system for my bedroom.

I am looking for something like an amp+speakers, not an all in one stereo like this. I don't really know where to start though, I have done extensive research on car audio and built a fairly nice, well balanced system and am looking for guidance in the home stereo ecosystem (Brands, configs, etc).

I want my system to have clear highs+mids and well pronounced bass. An easy way to put what I am looking to get from this is to think Deadmau5.

I also want it to be 5.1 capable if possible (for future expanability) but, only need to run in 2.0 or 2.1 at the moment.

I was thinking about scouting out some second hand shops and trying to find some vintage audio equiptment and see how that works out. You audiophiles probably have a lot more experience than me though so let me know what the best way to do this is.

I currently have a Soundblaster Fatality Pro soundcard in my computer and I can use that to get the independent audio channels I want (front, rear, sub).

Check this guide. This guy has reviews for all these speakers and amps, so that could be helpful.
I am a headphone guy, so i don't have any experience with any of these speakers but it's a good starting point for you :)

Check this guide. This guy has reviews for all these speakers and amps, so that could be helpful.

I am a headphone guy, so i don't have any experience with any of these speakers but it's a good starting point for you :)

Thanks for the reply, i checked the guide and built a system is amazon and it ended up being around 300 dollars so i decided to hunt some thrift shops and found a pair of Advent 2Ws. They need some work but, i expect them to sound pretty good. I have an amp to hold me over in the meantime, just based on how the tweeters sounded i would say they max at like 90-100 watts but, who knows without the woofers in order yet. http://imgur.com/a/pVD8T#12

I would get a stereo amp of 50-100W, put your sub with a lowpass on it on one channel, and two secondhand bookshelve speakers with their port plugged in series on the other.

@Kyl3 That's very interesting! I am curious how are you going to modify them.
DIY/Modding rocks! :D

As an owner of a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series - Sound Card

This is how i run my Card ,& with these cards ive never had an issue with them failing .

Now to give you a Sight of what you can do with you're card as they work the same (at least im sure they do) same manufacture .

This is how i got my set up -

I think im running over 500w RMS (Ill check in a second)  ,the Ashton PM-6300 Professional Powered Mixer only uses

the ( .1) in 5.1 sound so that's the bass output ,sounds & feels like an earthquake in here .

the ( .1) is coming from the Sony Receiver .

Ill try to explain it better :

PC - Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series - Sound Card Optical cable (Red Laser light)

to Sony Receiver then ( .1 ) output to Ashton PM-6300 Professional Powered Mixer.

The Towers i use are Boston Acoustics same with the center .

Total Exact output:

Ashton Amp = 550w RMS - 4 Ohm's

Sony Receiver = 210w RMS - 8 Ohm's

I never Dare to turn it up to Full Blast ,just to Loud ,maybe 45-50% 

If you do the math - it's incredible Bass & Clarity sound ,& Gaming/Movies omg i love it.

As you have read - im using a Sony Receiver. Infact a Pioneer Receiver would be best these days as they are cheap tho

still creating good to great sound on a budget - im going to be getting 1 also next year. Ill never part with my Sound card as it is great (for me) and i have Total Control on settings

and lets face it not every 1 can spend money on a top of the line MB that has say Crystal Audio chips or what ever they may have, Anyway you have a Sound Card .

Tho there is more to it then that as Sound to any sound card comes directly from a MB in the 1st place .

If you go down the path of a Reciever you can threat that like a pc builld and get better speakers later on so forth .

Best thing to do i think for you is to save for a few months grab a Reciever ,trust me you won't turn back to those crappy small hi fi systems .

you may wont to go down a Dac path with PRO Monitors also but i did see you write the option for 5.1

Small thing to know aswell is (im not sure if you already know but still) :

PMPO -Sound don't even think about that its crap.

Peak -Sound is like car Audio.

RMS -Sound is the (well for me i only use that) sound i think is best.

Others may say other wise ,just a small piece of info . Anyway i hope this has helped - if not well at least you now know that the sound card you

have is Fantastic. Just remember every 1 has there own preffered way of things like .and will point you into there own way like i also did .

The way you go is up to you - so do it you're way .Keep us posted buddy. :) Also check out my build link is right under this. it may help you out.not sure but any way.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

Small thing to know aswell is (im not sure if you already know but still) :

PMPO -Sound don't even think about that its crap.

Peak -Sound is like car Audio.

RMS -Sound is the (well for me i only use that) sound i think is best.

Uhh no ;)  The power output of a system has nothing to do with the sound, only with loudness.

PMPO and peak are absolutely useless. RMS is useful most of the time, but some manufacturers also lie about this number.

Uhh no ;)  The power output of a system has nothing to do with the sound, only with loudness.

PMPO and peak are absolutely useless. RMS is useful most of the time, but some manufacturers also lie about this number.

yes this is also 100% correct ,that's why i stated there is more to it. i should of been more clear. :)

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w