Hello! My name is Andrew G. and i wanted to request some advice on this forum about what i should upgrade my computer with. My parents are getting me something for christmas and i though it would be a good idea to use this oportunity to upgrade my build.

I'm gonna break this up into three sections. The first will be a list of my current build. The second will be information that you guys will need to know to understand what im using this build for. the third and final section will be all of the info that may be nessesary that didn't make it's way into the first two sections.

To start with my budget is around 400$ in total.

*Disclaimer: i'm no expert on computer building, and for that reason, please make you'r explanation simple for someone like me who is more than likley not as 'tech savey' as some of you guys.*

Section I : My Current Build
The Build below is a computer build i built myself with parts i got from close friends and people who sold them to me. I assembeled it myself and am capiable of assembiling whatever i need for the upgrade.
This is a list of what my computer has at the moment....
-------------------------------------
Motherboard:  ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, LGA 1155, Intel Motherboard w/"S.L.I." & "CrossFire" Compatability
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz
Ram: 8GB of Corsair vengence DDR3 Ram
GPU: GeForxe 435M
Monitor: Vizio VA26LHDTV10T (Just One)
    Current Resolution: 1360 x 768 @ 60hz
PSU: 700 Watts Two 12V Rails Sata Pci-e UPGRADED ATX12V PS12V SLI Ready Power Supply
Storage: 300gb HDD Hard Drive, 700gb HDD Portable Hard drive (USB 3.0)
    *Note*: i always keep the 700GB HD pluged in.
Computer Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan
Fans: 1 x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes,
1 x Cooler Master Sleeve Bearing 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators (Value 2-Pack)
*Note*: Im Extremely Over Protective of My Computer. I bought these extra fans because i don't want to take any risk of overheating.
Chords & Cables:  1x HDMI Chord that connects to my computer monitor from the GPU.
Mouse & Keyboard: 1x Standard Logitech Mouse, and Standard Dell Keyboard.
Speakers:  N/A (I only use my head phones and my speakers that are part of the VIZIO Monitor).
Microphone: Samson CO1U USB Studio Mic W/ Pop Filter & Deck Mount.

Section II : What i'm Using it for.

I'm Currently a Student that is going to be persuing a career in Computer Science. For that reason, you can make assumption that my desktop is my life. I use it for school work, gaming, music production, video editing, etc...
However, below is a list of games, and programs that i use with my desktop.
Games
Guild Wars 2
Battlefield 4
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution
Music Production
Massive
Fl Studios
Ableton Live
Image Editing
Photoshop
Gimp

With that said, here are some goals that i hope to put in place in this upgrade
I want to be able to run 2 monitors at the same time, and get at least 60fps at 1080p for battlefield.
I want to get some more storage space for my data files. I already have 2 HDD hard drives that work wonders. However, an SSD in my opinion would be the best route. Then again, i'm not sure if the upgrade is what will improve my performace in the best way. I stil have plenty of space, i'm just unsure if the Hard Drives are the issue.
I use my controller ALLOT when playing games. I want to get the 'console feel' from my PC when playing fighting games like Naruto or Street Fighter, and the 'PC feel' of using the key board and mouse when playing MMORPG's like GW2 or MOBA's like DOTA 2. I own a PS3 Dualshock 3 controller, and a XBOX 360 controller as well, however i would like to find a way to use my XBOX controller and my PS3 controller wirelessly.
I need to make sure that no matter what i add, that there is NO DANGER of overheating, or damage to my parts. If extra fans are nessesary then fine, but i think what i have is enough.

Section III: additional Information

one thing to mention is i DO NOT Need another monitor, i already have an identical one to the one i have now, but i want to upgrade to where i can use them both in the most practical implication.
i do not have a job at the moment because i've been on medical leave due to surgery. therefore, i'd like not to have to bring up the budget if possible. i'd like to keep it where it is and hope for maybe lower if i can reach my goal with a lower budget.
i want to reach my goals of my build, not spend every dime i have. If i need to, then i'm all for it. However, i want to refrain from having to spend everything i have.

If you've read all of this, you're pretty awesome :D
tell me what you think, and thanks for all your help.

- Andrew G.

How the fuck do you have a M card on a desktop motherboard?

my thoughts exaclty

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

First off - welcome to the forum! :)

How the fuck do you have a M card on a desktop motherboard?

This. Are you sure you typed the name of your GPU properly?

You can't play at 1080p with a 1338x768 monitor. You'd have to buy a new one to do that. But if 1336x768 is fine for you, then keep it :) I think you should be using at least a 1080p monitor in 2014 though.

As for potential upgrades, I guess you can upgrade the GPU, but we need to know what it is first before we can decide that. You can't use a mobile GPU on a desktop, as far as I know...

If you're doing computer science I'd recommend buying a small HDD (about 320GB) to put multiple partitions of operating systems on such as Ubuntu etc. You might need to use it for you course and you don't want to screw up your Windows drive if you accidentally delete important data in using the terminal. :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

First, I said i had a Geforce 435M Because the program "Geforece Experience" when i opened it and went to "My Rig" said that, that's what GPU i have.

Second, What Monitor Would you recommend that plays at 1080p?

Third, Would It be a good idea to get an SSD and put my OS and some games on it? then use my other HDD's for the OS's like you were saying?

Forth, I was thinking of getting as an upgrade for the GPU "SAPPHIRE 100366-2L Radeon R7 260X 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card"

I've seen good reviews on it and it will get the job done. plus since i can crossfire as well, i can keep this one in when i upgrade again in the future.