Random complete freeze, hard restart needed.

Denzof

Hello guys. Like a month ago ( my PC is like 2-3 months old ) I started to observe that the computer starts to have random freezes just out of the nothing I'm browsing the web ( Chrome ) or watching a movie nothing too intense.

With that a freeze happened and the last thing that was on it's frozen also the sounds stop and I can't move the mouse or use keyboard ( pressed caps or num and they don't lite up ).

Thees freezes happen ~1-2 times a day if I'm lucky than not at all, I observed that when this happens the little red light that is use to bleep it stopped completely and my attached external hard drive also stops ( still running but doing nothing ). The cpu fan and GPU are also functioning.  With that I need to restart it via the button on the case. I'm sure that there isn't an overheating issue I have Speccy showing me that the temperatures are alright. You guys got any idea what can cause this ?

A side note I had a problem with throttling and you guys helped me ( the CPU was overheating ) since then when I'm gaming I have the case opened till I can get a fan. Nothing overclocked/underclocked.

My PC specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Hard disk Seagate Desktop HDD 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA-III 
AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P 
Cooler CPU Scythe Grand Kama Cross 2 SCKC-3000 
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit 
Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X OC WITH BOOST 3GB DDR5 384-bit 
Sirtec - High Power Element BRONZE 600W

Segotep SG-Z2

Seagate 2TB External hard drive

temps?

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

temps?

Well max I saw it get but that was after gaming was 50 C but usualy gets ~40 and my external is ~45

my old HD7850 used to do this, when it got worse, the screen would glitch out completely and same thing would happen with rest of components, requiring a hard restart

- just clarifying, the same thing means my components all run (fans, hdd etc.) just the screen is frozen and completely spastic

I ran gpu-z and found that if my vram was at 100% for too long (the gpu was doing fine itself), it would just cause a massive crash

problem was solved by buying a new gpu

"lolwatrudoin"

"i do what i want"

Let's do the same thing the reply above said.

Try running GPU-Z and see if any "part" is maxing out.

Basically any program that monitor hardware's usage since your temps seem to be normal.

Once you figure out which part has abnormal usage, maybe someone might know something before you going out to buy a new part.

Let's do the same thing the reply above said.

Try running GPU-Z and see if any "part" is maxing out.

Basically any program that monitor hardware's usage since your temps seem to be normal.

Once you figure out which part has abnormal usage, maybe someone might know something before you going out to buy a new part.

I downloaded GPU-Z so far nothing special.

I read somewhere else that the hard drive might cause the trouble that's the red bleeping light for right ? like showing that it's active. Is there any program that might detect hard drive problems ?

Also since the PC is new the warranty should cover everything right ?

Here are some free drive checkers (mind the ads during the installation, there might be optional installations you wouldn't want) that seem to be good.

1) Crystaldiskinfo

2) HD Tune

How long is your PC's warranty? But nevertheless, warranty should cover everything since it's new, unless you do something like pouring water on your PC, so you'll be fine.

If the errors showed are any of these

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.

SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.

SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.

SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.

SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable

Yes, your drive is starting to die. Otherwise, research the error.

If there's no error... well, we can think about that if there isn't any error.

• 1 month later...

Here are some free drive checkers (mind the ads during the installation, there might be optional installations you wouldn't want) that seem to be good.

1) Crystaldiskinfo

2) HD Tune

How long is your PC's warranty? But nevertheless, warranty should cover everything since it's new, unless you do something like pouring water on your PC, so you'll be fine.

If the errors showed are any of these

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.

SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.

SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.

SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.

SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable

Yes, your drive is starting to die. Otherwise, research the error.

If there's no error... well, we can think about that if there isn't any error.

Heey, it's been a while and had some things to do. So I downloaded the two software and ran both. For Crystaldiskinfo I didn't see any test that I could do it showed the temp and health to be good. On the other hand with HD Tune I check my main hard drive and ran the benchmark and the error scan and all was good but when I switched to my external hard drive I couldn't even start the speed benchmark it can with "can't run benchmark" and for error scanning part well everything went red,

idk if this is really bad or not since the drive was always like this I mean that when I tested it with Seatools gave me an error and check around the internet what is the problem ppl sad that the scans can't be done cuz it's connecting with USB so I shouldn't worry about it but now I am.

I'm not sure if the external causes my PC to freeze cuz of some things. First would be that the PC I had before this didn't have any problems of freezing. Second one would be that if I recall correctly I had the drive unplugged and the pc still froze so yeah.

That is indeed strange, if the drives aren't the problem, I wonder what is, hmmm....

Okay, here's my last shot at this, the RAM, I wonder if there's something wrong with the RAM, it's the last long shot I can make.

How many RAM sticks do you have in there? Check if any sticks are lose or dirty. If neither apply and you have more than 1 stick of ram, remove each and try again to see how it runs.

This is, again, a long shot, if none works, try reinstalling the OS, if that doesn't work, either, then my apology, I can't think of anything else as of now.